Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Technology VS The Good Ole Days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Technology VS The Good Ole Days...

We talked about the Ice Cream Makers a little bit and it got me thinking (can you smell the smoke)...what are some of the other things you enjoyed before Modern Tech. came into play.

I enjoy receiving a good old fashion letter in the mail vs. Email.
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: Modern Technology VS The Good Ole Days...

I LOVE letters... before email, my sister and I used to send wonderful long letters. I'd sit down and read it... read it again... and again a few days later!!

I don't miss the time before cell phones... I just wonder what the heck we did before them??
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

The only person who still sends me " real " letters is my brother in Germany. He doesn't have a computer ( personal choice ), everybody else it's email. Which is fine with me, I don't mind email " letters"

Comment

love recieving letters in the mail..

last week our microwave broke down..so i had to warm up left overs on the stove..took me a few minutes to figure out how..

Comment

Angel....wow, thats all I use my microwave for!

One of my girl friends will not use the microwave because she thinks she'll get gree dots all over the inside of her body. I'll get her number and she can tell you how to warm food up LOL

*For BethQ - gree = green! LOL
          Last edited by Ro-Ro; 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM. Reason: BethQ questioning my spelling - :~~~~~
          "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I'm beginning to think we should go back to horse and buggy days if these gas prices keep going up.

Comment

WTH is a gree dot?

Comment

I enjoyed the micro popcorn but now I'm back to the "old fashion" pot and stove.

Comment

Just keeping up with all this crap. GPS system, cell phones, micros, computers. Everything we buy goes out then more things are better. I love the computer & e-mail. I am more up to date on info. Cell phones is a little problem for me, all I do is call but they got computers, and so much extra crap. cameras in the phone. What is next? I really love the cell phone, how I grew up without one I don't know. Even got caller ID & voice message. How wonderful is that. I just love it all. Guess what they will invent in the next 10yrs. It will be great. Even food has gotten to the point of fast. Rotersier chickens fast meal, grocery stores with so much pre cooked & ease. My Mother never had this stuff. Wonder what the next 10yrs will be like? Even better

Comment

I have to admit that I like having a cell phone while travelling. So much safer. As someone's tagline says "I love my computer because my friends live in it". I ADORE digital cameras. When I think of all the wasted film, never knowing if you got that very important moment on film!!

Microwaves are very useful for defrosting food. I LOVE my computerized sewing machine but in reality, it does the same function as a machine 40 years ago...with the option of lots of fun stuff.

And being directionally challenged , I absolutely adore our new TomTom!! Last Sunday, I had to meet my DD at a place, in a city I had never visited. SIL programed my TomTom for me (he knew the address) and voila--not a single wrong turn!! So much easier than having to constantly stop to look at a map.
                    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Originally posted by mellon View Post
                      I enjoyed the micro popcorn but now I'm back to the "old fashion" pot and stove.
                      ME TOO.

Also I prefer an old fashioned address book over keeping that information in the computer. I dislike computer banking, too.

Comment

Oh Mary.. I LOVE internet banking !! And I agree with DinDin, bring back the horse and buggy! Not to hijack, but heard on the news that CA will never see gas under $4.00 again.

Comment

Well I'm a senior so there are lots of changes. Used to be we raised and canned our vegetables and fruits. Everyone in town not only had a garden, but also a chicken coop.

Now I enjoy being able to buy canned and frozen goods. (I wish there was more food and less water in cans -- used to be when the liquid was drained off, the can was still full within 1/2 inch of the top; now they are only half full.)

I like being able to make bread dough in the food processor -- it's too painful now to try to knead dough by hand.

I enjoy getting e-mails, but the old snail mail is special.

I really like central heating and air conditioning.

I enjoy watching satelite television, but a good mystery book is still an entertainment I enjoy.

Comment

The " old" days weren't all that great. Nostalgia tends to cloud the true picture.

Comment

Don't get me started on GPS. On my last trip to the US the stupid GPS took us back a different route and it was 6 hours out of the way. I told the driver (male) that we should take the highway going towards Buffalo but oh no - he had to use his new toy. It ended up taking us to the border crossing near Montreal which is 6 hours away from Toronto.

Of course once in Canada the torrential rain started, the street signs were all in French plus there was major construction going on. Fun wow

Comment

Working...
                              X