Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Shore Drilling

Who is opposed to this?

I lived in Florida and don't want them to start drilling offshore (ok, I'm ducking from thrown tomatoes now). The National Weather Center has shown where there has been 12 hurricanes that have gone that path. I can just see many oil spills and wreckage of the sea life. I guess I have the opinion that off shore drilling is ok as long as it's not in my backyard. I don't know how we let the USA get into this mess but something needs to be done.

Re: Off Shore Drilling

This is just a election year thing. There are enough leases in the gulf to last the oil companies for years. Why aren't they drilling where they are permitted to?
    If people want their oceans and seafood supplies damaged by non-caring oil companies, they they will have to pay the price.
    Frankly, even if they got their way, the prices will not go down because it will take years for that oil to get to the pumps and there is still the problem of refinery capacity. How is more oil gonna help if there aren't more refineries to refine the oil? It's all a great big joke.

Comment

It will take yrs. what about international waters?? Can we do that? Also saw something on the news about Alaska, really in the unpopulated place. Middle of no where but still have to truck it in. I heard if we drill now it will be in 5 yrs that we can get it out. Fl. has hurricanes & don't think that would be a good place to start. I think you are safe.

Comment

I'm in Florida close to the gulf coast and am OK with it. Agree 100 per cent that it is an election year thing. Just wait, they aint done with us yet. Next will be "the social security problem". It comes up every election year. (Very emotional thing .. you ought to hear my 89 year old MIL get excited ). This year the rising gas prices has everyone's undivided attention, so we're going to hear lots about it. It is nailing us from all sides -- food, clothing, any thing that is impacted by transportation. Ah, already anxiously waiting for November to see WHAT really will be done after the election.

Comment

Had the US been drilling in Anwar 10-15 years ago under Bill Clinton's watch, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today. Watched an interview with Alaska's governor who said there is enough oil in Anwar to sustain the US for nearly 100 years; there's no reason to be at the mercy of the middle east. Drilling in Anwar and elsewhere (offshore, the shale, etc...), combined with the new technology that's available today, would make us almost completely independent of Saudi oil. But alas, we are beholden to the environmental kooks.

Comment

ali, we do not have enough of our own oil to be self-sufficient. We do not need new oil. What we need to be self-sufficient is to be going toward alternative energy sources. The technology is there, but the oil companies bought up some of the patents and refuse to let it start.
            Saudi Arabia doesn't even understand why the prices are so high. They say there is no need for prices that high. That tells me that the prices are being artificially fixed...for the elections. The timimg of this is just too "accidental"??? Speculators are driving up the prices.
            I'm gonna make a prediction. Right before Nov. 4, the prices are going to miraculously start going down and someone is gonna take credit for making it happen.
            The stimulus checks? Did the President know that this was going to happen and he is trying to make things a little more palatable to us? $600-$1200 will pay for a lot of gas, won't it?
            Oh, and most of that money is going to go toward paying for the rise in fuel prices in one way or another....more money into his bed-buddies (and his families) pockets before he leaves office.
            Last edited by AllieK; 06-19-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alidoremi View Post
              Had the US been drilling in Anwar 10-15 years ago under Bill Clinton's watch, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today. Watched an interview with Alaska's governor who said there is enough oil in Anwar to sustain the US for nearly 100 years; there's no reason to be at the mercy of the middle east. Drilling in Anwar and elsewhere (offshore, the shale, etc...), combined with the new technology that's available today, would make us almost completely independent of Saudi oil. But alas, we are beholden to the environmental kooks.
              Exactly, I so agree with you. Had we started to drill 15 years ago and built new refineries, or better yet , never had the ban , we would not be in the position that we are in now.
              And yes, we do have plenty of oil, that hasn't been drilled yet, to be independent.
              As far as Bush and his speech yesterday. a little to late, way too late. Clinton could have changed it and he refused. As long as we have a democratic congress nothing will change.

Comment

We better start drilling before the Chinese drill it all up. The Chinese are already setting up drilling off of Cuba they can then drill sideways tapping into our water so its best we take OUR oil than letting them steal it from us. Wake up people.

Comment

Explain why when the Republicans had total control of everything, the ban wasn't lifted? Now, all of a sudden, after 5 1/2 months in office, the Democrats are totally to blame. Hello???????????
                  Papa Bush didn't want it, Republican-controlled Congress, Senate and whatever else, didn't want the ban lifted, Jeb Bush didn't want it lifted.
                  It's not about oil when it comes to drilling in the ocean, it is about protecting our food supplies

Comment

I have seen those oil rigs being built. The are beyond HUGE. I think that for the most part, they will fair better in a hurricane then most things. Although I wouldn't want any in my backyard either.

I do believe that the oil industry has more power and control over our lives than anyone can imagine, which is downright scary. It seems any technology that is invented to replace our reliance on gasoline vanishes. If anyone wants to see a truly frightening film, rent, "Who Killed the Electric Car".

Comment

One of the issues right now is really speculators driving up the prices. Did you know for those futures those contracts that 120+ a gallon oil is for deliveries that will never happen. Most major users of oil have already bought their gas/oil a long time in advance. I believe those contracts are in place if just in case that price is less than what someone already paid ahead of time for the oil. It is speculation that is driving up the prices.

As far as gas goes, we have speculation and we have no refining capacity. Even if they were drilling and pumping in oil from FL or AK, we have no refineries for this to go. Did you know we haven't built a new refinery in something like over 20 years in the US. Hmmmm, seems like the big oil companies really have a vested interested in keeping the prices artificially high.

Comment

The Refinery In Big Springs (i Think) Tx, Blew Up This Winter, Don't Think It Got The Whole Thing, But That Will Put A Big Dent In Refining The Oil From Around Here.

Comment

Bill Clinton had a chance to lift the ban during his presidency and he refused.

Comment

That doesn't make it his fault, Sabine. The thing was passed in 1981, George Sr. enacted a ban, then Clinton didn't overturn it, and neither did George Jr. That makes them equally as responsible as Clinton.

I agree with you Stephanie. If there was a shortage of fuel, there would be long lines like their was in Carter's era. Where are the long lines? Has anyone came across a station that was out of gas?
                            These fake high prices are coming from speculators, not how much oil there is available. They may be even coming from the highest man in the country. Election year politics at it's best...errrrr, worst!!!

Comment

It's almost over AllieK. Just a few more month. And I am sure " President Obama" will fix it all. At least that's what he tells people.

Comment

Working...
                              X