Iniki, cabbage roll ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iniki, cabbage roll ?

Would you mind sharing your recipe??? I would love to give it a try. I looked over in T&T and didn't see it.

TIA Cindy
    Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Re: Iniki, cabbage roll ?

This is step by step on how I make my Halupkee (spelling) aka Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
    Please bear with me since I never measure so I'm giving you approximate measures.

First I take a whole head of cabbage and try to cut out as much of the center core as possible and place it in a large pot of boiling water. As that is boiling, I assemble the mixture.

3 lbs. fresh ground beef
    1 medium onion diced small
    2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
    2 tsp. dry parsley
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper
    2 raw eggs

Mix abo roll up like an eggroll. I stack each roll into the large pot, fill with water to cover and place rest of excess cabbage on top. I then put 1 large rge can of tomatoes and 1 large can of sauerkraut on top. I bring it all to a full boil and then I turn heat down to medium to cook another 5 or so hours. This is a long cooking process but the results are worth it. Let me know what you think of it.ve ingredients well by hand and set aside.

Then I try to separate the cabbage leaves one by one as it is boiling. Once I have most of the leaves separated, I then drain it all in a collander and run cold water over it. Once the leaves are cool enough to handle I then take a handful of meat mixture and place it into the cabbage leaf and

Comment

Oops I pushed a wrong button and somehow some of it got messed up. I'll try again. Sorry.

This is step by step on how I make my Halupkee (spelling) aka Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
      Please bear with me since I never measure so I'm giving you approximate measures.

First I take a whole head of cabbage and try to cut out as much of the center core as possible and place it in a large pot of boiling water. As that is boiling, I assemble the mixture.

3 lbs. fresh ground beef
      1 medium onion diced small
      2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
      2 tsp. dry parsley
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. pepper
      2 raw eggs

Mix above ingredients well by hand and set aside.

Then I try to separate the cabbage leaves one by one as it is boiling. Once I have most of the leaves separated, I then drain it all in a colander and run cold water over it. Once the leaves are cool enough to handle I then take a handful of meat mixture and place it into the cabbage leaf and roll up like an egg roll. I stack each roll into the large pot, fill with water to cover and place rest of excess cabbage on top. I then put 1 large can of tomatoes and 1 large can of sauerkraut on top. I bring it all to a full boil and then I turn heat down to medium to cook another 5 or so hours. This is a long cooking process but the results are worth it. Let me know what you think of it..

Comment

Thank you so much. I will definitely try it and let you know how we like it. It will be the middle of July before I get to make it, but I will let you know.

Comment

Sounds delicious. I've got to buy Gas-X first before I eat cabbage. I love it but it doesn't love me! LOL
          "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I wonder how many different versions of cabbage rolls we could come up with. My FIL would take 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb. ground pork (or ham for special occaisions) 1 cup raw rice, 1 finely chopped onion, seasonings, and about half the tomatoes (mushed up by hand) from a large can and mix it all together. He would assemble the cabbage rolls exactly like Iniki but he would lay some of the outside cabbage leaves on the bottom of the pot to keep the cabbage rolls from sticking, and then add about another large can's worth of mushed up tomatoes and juice between the layers of cabbage rolls. If he didn't think that was enough liquid, he'd add some water or tomato juice. But his cooking was about the same as Iniki's.

Since it is such a long and involved process, I usually make a huge batch, cook, cool, and freeze in Gladware/Ziplock containers.
            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

My mom never put rice in hers. I am thinking she must not have liked rice. It is something that we never had at home other than for breakfast and she would add sugar and milk to it for us. She also never added rice to her stuffed peppers.

Comment

Working...
              X