Homemade stepping stones...tips needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade stepping stones...tips needed

I'd love to get some tips from those who have made stepping stones Also, did anyone use regular concrete instead of quick set?

Thanks,
    Gina
    John 10:9
    www.opendoorchili. org

Re: Homemade stepping stones...tips needed

Never made the stepping stones-but in our barn-we let the boys put their handprints and the date-since the boys have all moved out now-I love to see their work in the barn.

Comment

Originally posted by wellsms View Post
      Never made the stepping stones-but in our barn-we let the boys put their handprints and the date-since the boys have all moved out now-I love to see their work in the barn.
      When new sidewalks were going in at a piece of property we owned in town, my youngest DD stepped in the cement and ex-husband wrote her name and the other kid's names. It's fun to go back to PA and see it, now more than 25 years later.

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

The previous owner of my house left some homemade stepping stones around the property, and I love them. I dont know what kind of concrete she used, but she decorated them with fake jewels, colorful gemstone rocks, marbles, mosaic tile pieces, and seashells. On some of the stones, she painted seashells before setting them in concrete. Some were sprayed with metallic colors. She also had a few stones that had colorful "insects" in them. Finally figured out that she had bought a bunch of colorful rubber worms, spiders, etc and set them in concrete. Sounds like a mess, but its one of the most beautiful stones she left in the garden.
        Last edited by cottun; 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I did this with the five grands as Christmas presents to me and their parents. You really want to use the quick set or you will be waiting forever to decorate,lol. I used medium sized pizza boxes for the square ones and finally found an octagon form to use. So they made one of each.

I also got clear stones of different colors, I got tiles with the letters of the alphabet so they could put their names on them that way instead of writing them on the blocks. I also use fancy buttons...the ideas are endless. Once they were done we let them sit for a good month before we took them out of the forms. Not sure you have to wait that long but....Their parents had tears come Christmas morning.

You can have a lot of fun with this. Walk around a craft store, if you can visualize it you can do it. Old jewelry works so do pieces of dishes, fake coins....endless

Let me know if you do them or not. Oh yea, if you use the pizza boxes, I lined mine with saran wrap first then dumped the concrete in it. Then it didn't ooze out the cardboard.

grammy

Comment

what a very fun idea. And like you said, you can do so many things with it and be so creative.

Comment

any other tips?

Comment

I've never made them, but have googled the subject over the past month or so, and am planning on making some. I saw a very nice pathway made with them and the person who did it used large rhubarb leaves as her pattern (no mold, just used very thick cement and patted in place over the leaf.) The veins in the leaves left a perfect imprint in her stepping stones and the walkway was quite attractive.

What I plan to do is continue to collect my decorative materials, then play with them until I find a pattern, style or something that strikes my fancy. I don't want to have the cement setting without a solid outline in front of me. Other than that, one of my ideas is to set my dogs front paw prints in one and write her name beneath them.

I have shells, multi-colored stones, marbles, beads, a few dried & pressed flowers, broken tiles, fake garland to use for imprints, some touristy items like fake arrowheads, old cookie cutters. I plan to go to the Dollar Tree and look for useable items like fake coins (an idea I got from reading grammygram's). I like the button idea a lot.

Grammygram ~ quick question ~ did you reinforce your stones with chicken wire or screen? I'm wondering if the stones will break without some sort of reinforcement.

Comment

Mary Jo,

Could you share the website with me with the wonderful ideas you mentioned?

Comment

Check this out - it's the leaf stepping stones I mentioned above.

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/steppingstones/ig/Garden-Stepping-Stone-Photos/Leaf-Shaped-Stepping-Stone.htm

Something else that might be cool to try would be a sun dial or numbers/hands from an old clock.
                    Last edited by MaryJo; 06-22-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Great idea and easy to make. I may have to try this!!! Thanks

Comment

No, I didn't reinforce them with anything. We have them scattered in our flower beds and such. I would think if you are going to use them in walkways you would need to set them in a little and make sure they are level. I would not see any problems with walking on them. Mine were thick, as thick as the pizza box so that needs to be considered. Thinner and they will break easy. I was working with kids so I needed them to last, at least through Christmas for their gifts, lol....

Comment

Lowes and Home Depot have the "sidewalk" pattern forms that I would love to try....has anyone ever use those?

These forms you lay down, fill with cement, let harden a bit and remove the form to create a stone effect.

Comment

Originally posted by fatkat View Post
                            Lowes and Home Depot have the "sidewalk" pattern forms that I would love to try....has anyone ever use those?

These forms you lay down, fill with cement, let harden a bit and remove the form to create a stone effect.
                            I HAVE SEEN THOSE ALSO AND WOULD LOVE TO DO MY PATIO IN THEM, BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW THAT WOULD WORK. SO FOR NOW STILL NO PATIO.
                            SHEL

Comment

Working...
                            X