Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a hard time peeling a boiled egg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a hard time peeling a boiled egg?

Read this tip on the net…..leave your eggs sitting out at room temp 24 hours before you boil them and they peel like magic.

I tried it….it works.

For those of you with chickens, I used some eggs that had been in the frig for a few days, not ones right out of the nest and it worked very well.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Re: Having a hard time peeling a boiled egg?

Is that safe to leave them out that long? I just leave mine in iced water for a few minutes and they peel great. The older the egg, the harder to peel.

Comment

Originally posted by janabanana View Post
      Is that safe to leave them out that long? I just leave mine in iced water for a few minutes and they peel great. The older the egg, the harder to peel.
      I was thinking the same thing ?? Is it safe. But I have to say that my mother used to have fresh eggs sitting out, don't remember how long ?
      I leave my hard boiled eggs in cold water for some time ( like 30 minutes or so) and then I crack the egg all over and then peel it under running water. No problem

Comment

I heard in Mexico they don't even refrigerate them, they are on a shelf in the stores. I don't know.......

Comment

Originally posted by Tearose84 View Post
          I heard in Mexico they don't even refrigerate them, they are on a shelf in the stores. I don't know.......
          No wonder people get sick there..! HA!

Comment

Ok, I found this..

Buy Clean Eggs from a Refrigerator Display Case: Do not purchase eggs anywhere that are not refrigerated. Any bacteria present in the egg can grow quickly if stored at room temperature. At the store, choose Grade A or AA eggs with clean, uncracked shells.

Safe Storage of Eggs at Home: Take eggs straight home and store them immediately in the refrigerator at 40 F or slightly below. Store them in the grocery carton in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door. Do not wash eggs. Washing eggs could remove the protective mineral oil coating put on at the plant and could increase the potential for bacteria on the shell to enter the egg.

Comment

I have heard about not storing eggs in the door, so I leave them in the carton they come in.

Comment

When we visited my sister in France, the eggs weren't refrigerated, but on shelves.
                "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Refrigerators don't even come with egg holders in the door anymore. At least the ones I have seen don't and mine didn't.

I just do the iced cold water too and peel under running water.
                  Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

If leaving eggs at room temperature worries you then you have never been inside one of the packaging plants where they sort and package eggs.

If you saw what went on inside these places you would probably never eat another egg again in your life. I worked at one for a couple of years when I was in college; all I can say is that eggs are not nearly as perishable as you may think.
                    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
                    -Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post
                      Refrigerators don't even come with egg holders in the door anymore. At least the ones I have seen don't and mine didn't.

I just do the iced cold water too and peel under running water.
                      That's right, I have a new fridge and there are no egg holders in the door or anywhere else.

Comment

It is true that in other countries, eggs are not refrigerated, but here is the background info about it.

Those who raise chickens and they come from a farm, if they have never been refrigerated, don't need to be. The eggs remain fresh for up to 4 weeks. When I lived in Mexico, the eggs had never been cold so they were fine on the counter, which I did. But they said, as soon as you chill them they have to stay cold. You can't then just leave them out after they have been refrigerated. I think eggs are more durable than we think they are. In PA at a hard cooked egg factory tour. They let fresh farm eggs sit a in room that was about 50-60F for 5 days to ripen them (or make them not as fresh) before they would hard cook them. Then when they were done boiling them they would throw the whole pan into a sink and run water in the sink and the shells would slide right off. It was quite fascinating.
                        A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Well, I'll be derned! Thanks hunebe! I never would have thought that!

Comment

my fridge is 11 years old, there aren't any egg mold holders in my door, and it didnt' come with any egg containers, i dont' think they've done that for years.

i found that older eggs peel better. put eggs in cold water bring to a boil, shut off put on tight lid let sit for 20 minutes, pour out water fill with cold. peels fine.
                            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I find that older eggs peel easier and I ALWAYS put them in very cold water with ice cubes and find that they peel very easier.
                              Our new fridge does not have an egg tray on the door like the old one.

Comment

Working...
                              X