Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you want to be when you were growing up and did your dream come true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you want to be when you were growing up and did your dream come true?

I wanted to be a show dancer but I didn't have the boobs or the body for it. I was always a fluffy child.
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: What did you want to be when you were growing up and did your dream come true?

Well, my first aspiration was to be a Millionaire's wife. That didn't work out. The second was to be a Chimpologist. (Psychologist for Chimps) - Hey, I decided this in 3rd grade - cut me some slack! That obviously did not work out either.

I never dreamed I would wind up in the wonderful world of Finance.. - But, then who would?

Ro-Ro - I love the "fluffy" description!
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Re: What did you want to be when you were growing up and did your dream come true?

I wanted to be a ballerina... took lessons till I was about 14... and then I had to choose between more than twice weekly lessons and boys. I wasn't that good anyhow.

Then I wanted to be a nurse... did that... liked the nursing part but didn't like the hospital politics or doctors thinking they're better than everyone else. Worked as a surgical nurse in an oral surgery office for a while while going to college in my 40s. I liked that.

Got a degree in English. Wanted a job where I got to read all day... but I forgot to stipulate that I wanted to read cool fiction. Instead, I worked for medical magazines reading about orthopedics, anesthesia, and ophthalmology! (YAWN!!)

When I REALLY grow up, I'd like to retire from real work (w/ plenty of $$... this is my dream, right??) and play w/ doggies all day.
      Last edited by luvs2eat; 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM.
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I wanted to be a gypsy. No. LOL.

Comment

well, first off a teacher, did that happen? nope, married to someone that became one; then always like to sing, so backup singer? nope, closest i come to that is singing in the church choir; and then loved loved perry mason, read all of earl stanley gardners books growing up, then progressed to stronger stuff, so a lawyer would be really my final choice, but? nope, did not get to do that, because my generation was not the female's ability to go to college unless rich, or got scholarships and that did not happen, so NOPE, closest i came to that, now am legal secretary/paralegal for 19 years...............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

As a child, I wanted to be a cool cowgirl like Dale Evans, or find and tame my own horse like the boy in The Black Stallion, or have a ranch (can you see a theme here???) Well, the closest I ever came to being that cool cowgirl, was riding bareback on our old workhorse--talk about doing the splits Not quite as romantic as I had envisioned.

Later, I wanted to be a nurse--sounded cool in all those sappy Harlequin romance novels I devoured and it was a way to get far enough away from home so that my mother couldn't try to control my every move. Found out I really don't like sick people. But it did get me away from my mother's thumb and, believe me, after washing out of nursing school I did NOT go home.

After that, what with getting married, having kids and all that sort of stuff, I guess I decided that my 'job' would be my family. I seemed to have succeeded in that job. A great husband and 2 normal, relatively well-adjusted kids who are making their own ways in the world.

Now, my passion is playing with fabric. I love to create my own quilts--expecially for kids. (if anybody needs a baby shower present, pm me)
            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Well I wanted to be a secretary, I don't know why, but I did that, was a legal secretary, until kids came along, then I became a stay-at-home mom. Now all 3 boys are out and on their own. So far so good with the boys. Now I am mom to shelties and 2 grandkids are here now. During the Christmas rush season, I work for a mail-order aviation company on a computer, so I guess that is kind of still a secretary type job. Now I wish I had become a nurse, but parents always told me if I wanted to stay at home with my children, I should not go to college. Now I bet there is not anyone telling females that.

Comment

I wanted to be a missionary. Instead I ended up being a retail buyer. I NEVER wanted to be a nurse! When DH died, I quit my job and went back to school to became a hospice nurse. It was just something I felt I had to do.

Comment

I wanted to be a Psychologist. I am seeing that dream come true as we speak
                  Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wanted to be independently wealthy but that never happened.

Now my latest dream has been realized - I'm a single, overweight, slightly neurotic cat woman. I am fulfilled.

Comment

Incredible rich did that happen, NO LOL I am still waiting for that millionaire to come and sweep me of my feet or something like that.
                      On the serious side, I wanted to teach ballroom dancing, my parents weren't crazy about that idea. So I went to work at a law firm as a clerk, yawn! Hated it, got married. Got married twice, then went to work for the school district , took some classes , got certified, and went to work in a school library. Now I am retired.

Comment

When I was 3 I decided I wanted to work where my dad worked. The owner would stop at our house during winter break and I always told him I was going to work for him. And He always said no dear, I don't hire family to work together, you have to wait til your dad retires. And when I was 32 I applied and was hired. Dad had to quit year before due to health reasons. SO I had my dream job, running the big machines and making tape like my dad. I had to quit over health issues after 7yrs of service. I loved my job so much.

Comment

All of my young life, I said I was going to move to California (I was raised in CT) and yup!!!here I sit and still loving it

Comment

Like Ginger, I wanted to be a cowgirl, too only I wanted to be Annie Oakley

Comment

Good topic. Rubes, you are so funny!!!

I wanted to be a teacher when in grade school. Then decided I didn't want to go to school for 4 years. Then I got engaged my senior yr. & married the year after that. Went to Juco for Secretarial Science. Worked in secretarial jobs for awhile, not fulfilling.

Started looking at college catalogs for something to do in the healthcare area(Nursing, no thankyou). Radiology caught my eye. Went to a hospital based school for 24 months & am registered in Radiology and Ultrasound (Sonography). I love what I do & have been doing it for almost 30 yrs. now.

Comment

Working...
                              X