Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is intimidated or afraid of......

The Hairdresser?

I totally am intimidated by hairdressers. I have never truly found "my" hairdresser. So, dh decided to get me a gift certificate to the beautyl school that a friend of his works at as an instructor. So, saturday found me in my car bawling after they got done butchering my hair. Plus, tonite i had to have it fixed. My gf had her stylist come to her house instead of the 1/2 drive to her salon, and 2 got their roots done and she fixed my bad hair cut.

I am hoping to just stay with this woman cutting my hair.

dragun

Re: Who is intimidated or afraid of......

I'm not afraid hof my hairdresser but I do dread going to her. She is soooo sugary sweet its sickening. He is always agreeable, never has an oponion of her own and is always saying, Your so Sweet, I just love you. Calls me Hon, Sweety, etc.

yuk!
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

If anyone in the Castle Rock/Denver (CO) area is looking for The Best hair stylist, PM me.

She's my old stylist, and moved away. Wahhh.

Comment

I hate anyone being too close to my face and I panic if my neck gets touched (years of being abused when I was 17 to 22).
        My hairdresser is cool. Since my brain surgery my skin is hyper sensitive. I tear up when I brush or wash my own hair. Also right of head is caved in from surgery and is disgusting to touch. And i have vp shunt in my head. But Deb is cool with it all. She is extra gentle with me.

Comment

I always say a trim, hairdressers do not know a trim, the always cut it so short, we talk about it before the cut, she is shaking her head yes she is going just to trim it up what the heck??? It's summer & hot so if she wants to chop it up fine, I won't go back for another 8 weeks. Also it take me a good week before I can do anything with it. I hate when I get my hair cut. I need a week for my hair to settle down.

Comment

I kind of am intimidated by my hairstylist. She's younger (about 27 or 28 now, started with her about 23-24) and she just yacks so much about her personal life all the time and makes herself sound rather wild and immature yet (has a 5 year old son and is now divorced but still likes to "party"). The only reason I stick with her is because I have very curly hair and she has curly hair too so she knows the pitfalls of it all. However, she still likes to straighten hers where I gave up years ago. Some of the "styles" she tries to get me to go with are just not me at 51 years old. I wish I could find someone who knows curly hair in my area. Recently, I canceled a highlighting of my hair because I just didn't feel it needed it yet since curly hair doesn't show "the roots" as fast. Well, she actually got a bit angry with me doing that and said, "well, I have to make a living too"!!!! I finally stood up a bit for myself and said, "well, I'm not ready yet and I need MY money for something more important right now".....it's $100 for a trim/cut and color and the job is just OK sometimes. I felt she was way out of line and one of the other girls must've agreed with me and made a comment to her about it.
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I agree, I have been to a couple of different stylists that if you have to reschedule (with plenty of notice) they get pissee. My hair is like my last wory. But the girl last nite just kept saying as she was cutting my hair "what were they thinking". Plus, I didn't have a student do my cut, it was the instructor showing her how to do this thing called an inverted bob. It looks so much cuter now that it was fixed.

dragun

Comment

I lost my hairdresser when we moved. Much as I loved her, a 2 hour commute for a trim was just out of the question After 9 years, I THINK I may have finally found someone I like (fingers crossed). I really don't like when a hairdresser insists that 'it will only take 10 minutes with a blow dryer in the morning' when all I really want is a 'wash and wear' style that can be dressed up for the very ocassional outing.
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I'm intimidated cause I don't know what I want or what I'm talking about most if the time. Brenda (who I lost when I moved) did my hair forever and just KNEW what to do and could gently guide me back to reality when I'd show her a wild new haircut and maybe I'd like that?? She KNEW how much I DON'T wanna mess w/ my hair and a trendy high-maintenance do was not for me.

I got here and asked for a frosting and was almost totally white blonde (w/ fast growing brown roots)!! Now I'm back to my original DRAB brown w/ a few blonde streaks but need MANY more, but I had to get rid of that all-over blonde.

I MISS BRENDA!!!

Edited to add... Ginger... I'd commute 2 hours every couple of months to see Brenda if I could!! ha ha
                  "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I really like the girl / young woman who is doing my hair and my nails. I have been with her now for 10 years. Like everything she does. She is young and has great ideas and is good at what she does. To be honest, I have never been afraid of a hairdresser. If I don't like somebody, I just don't go back. Thankfully there is no lack of beautyshops in this town. I know what I want and what I like, and if I have a hard time putting it into words, I take a picture with me , that helps explain what I am looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by dragun6 View Post
                      The Hairdresser?

I totally am intimidated by hairdressers. I have never truly found "my" hairdresser. So, dh decided to get me a gift certificate to the beautyl school that a friend of his works at as an instructor. So, saturday found me in my car bawling after they got done butchering my hair. Plus, tonite i had to have it fixed. My gf had her stylist come to her house instead of the 1/2 drive to her salon, and 2 got their roots done and she fixed my bad hair cut.

I am hoping to just stay with this woman cutting my hair.

dragun

I HAD A VERY BAD EXPREISNCE WITH A BEAUTY SCHOOL HAIR CUT. I HAD TO GO HOME AND FIX IT MYSELF--AND WHEN I CUT MY OWN HAIR IT USUALLY ISN'T PRETTY, BUT THIS TIME IT LOOKED BETTER AFTER I WAS DONE. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO A BEAUTY SCHOOL FOR A HAIR CUT.

I AM NOT ONE TO STAY WITH A HAIR DRESSER VERY LONG, I TEND TO MOVE ABOUT QUITE FREQUENTLY.
                      SHEL

Comment

I love my hairdresser! I've been going to her for 10 years and I don't know what I would do if I lost her! She keeps up with all the latest trends in color and cuts. She can call me Hon, Sugar, Baby, anything she wants so long as she keeps doing my hair!
                        Having had hairdressers in my family I have to say I'm not intimidated by them. What I would suggest to do if you are looking for a hairdresser is when you see someone who's haircut you really like...ask her who her hairdresser is! Then make an appt. with them and discuss exactly what you want. Take pictures and she/he will tell you if that cut will work with your face shape, etc. When you go for a cut be specific on how much you want cut off. Instead of saying 'trim' say 1 inch only! Good luck! Everyone needs a good hairdresser in their life!

Comment

Here's a time I was intimidated... tell me what YOU think?

I went w/ a friend to her hairdressing place to have my hair frosted. This was when they were still using the cap to pull strands thru to color... a painful and long process. This girl kept talking about how she was going to use a new process on my hair that would be so much less harsh and I'd love it.

When she put the "goop" on my hair to lighten the strands, I couldn't smell anything. I asked her how come I couldn't smell it and would it really lighten my hair. She assured me it was a "new" thing and I'd love it.

Fast forward to cutting/drying/styling... she turned me around and I looked closely in the mirror and said, "Where are the streaks???" She took me outside in the sun and gave me a mirror and had me turn all around to see the almost invisible streaks that I'd just sat and had hair ripped thru a cap for. I didn't know what to do or say! I certainly didn't want to tell her it was unacceptable and go thru it all again... but the look on my face was UPSET.

I paid the bill... THAT'S where I'm intimidated. I should NOT have paid for what I got!! As it turned out... I went home and called the salon and spoke the manager and told him how unhappy I was w/ the job. They credited my credit card.

My situation turned out okay... I got my $$ back... but I'd be afraid to tell my stylist that I didn't like the cut and have her FIX it... it'd almost be like telling the waiter you want the food taken back to the kitchen where they can SPIT on it or do something awful!!
                          "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I **thought** I had finally found mine here in Mich afew years back until last fall when she literally messed my hair up my sister who was there with us said before she cut it asked me if I was sure thats what I wanted well I trusted the hair dresser and while I still have my long hair I now have a bowl looking layer in a complete circle front to back growing out and I have NOT been back to her, have no idea what I'll do now need a good trim soon.

I have never had good luck with hair dressers except one gal in Floida she rocked and I used her for many years ...funny thing is her hands shook all the time from some medical condion but she did a great job.

Comment

i have long straight hair..i haven't been to the beauty salon in yrs..my hair grows so fast that i was constantly going to the salon and never getting what i wanted..i think i had one hairstylist that i loved..she permed my hair and did a great job..she got a new job and moved out of town..haven't found one since..so i just let my hair grow out and stopped going to the beauty salon.

Comment

Working...
                              X