Ammonia and vinegar in the laundry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammonia and vinegar in the laundry

My clothes started smelling of mold no matter how much I washed them and how much fabric softener I used - I finally figured out that the fabric softener doesn't have a good smell (anymore!)

Since then, I started using vinegar in the rinse cycle and everything seems to smell much better. I was thinking of how when my kids were smal I used to add ammonia to most loads, I guess b/c our clothes were so dirty then, but havne't in so long -

So, fess up - do you add either to your wash? And, if so, how much, when, and to which loads?
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Re: Ammonia and vinegar in the laundry

I'd like to try this in with my whites/towels. How much should I add to the final rinse?
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I always put baking soda in with the detergent.. No more sour towels!!! I buy 15lb bags of it for 5 bucks at Sam's

Comment

I Put Vinegar In A Load If I Have Something New That Is Red. It Helps The Color From Running.
        SHEL

Comment

I've never used either, but I do use OxyClean.

Comment

I sometimes use vinegar ....about a cup in rinse cycle have even put in w/soap before thinking I would miss rinse cycle with same results.

Comment

I've used both vinegar and ammonia in my dh and ds's fishing clothes.
              Try filling your washer up with hot water and adding a gal. of vinegar. Run it through the cycle. It will remove all the soap scum that you can't see and should help your future loads of clothes smell better.

Comment

For the last several years, I have been using white vinegar as a laundry rinse, in place of commercial fabric softeners...It saves a huge amount of money, has the same exact results compared to the commercial brands...is a whole lot better for the environment!...When I first started making the 'conversion', hubby and I spent a few weeks, doing different types of loads...our apt washers are pre-set at 60 min., so the commercial smell of liquid softeners had disappeared at the end of the cycle. Either washload of white vinegar or commericial softener, left the clothes smelling the same way!..As for commerical laundry detergents and fabric softeners, and household cleaning products, the FDA, or any branch of government, does not moniter any of the chemicals going into the product, especially if they may be cancerous to a human's health...the companies are not even required to list all of the chemicals going inside a package....my only wish is that other people will convert to white vinegar. There are days in Florida, where it is nice to have the patio door open, yet if the winds/breezes are in my home's direction, because of the laundry room and use of perfumed/chemical fabric softeners, I start sneezing something fierce!...These people would not only save lots of money, but keep the waste water (which either gets 'recycled' or back into the ocean) cleaner and healthier, but save a lot on their pocketbooks when it comes to laundry expenses!

Comment

I have not used either but have used baking soda.

Comment

I'm intrigued with this thread. I'm a "laundry geek" who has used various products for over 40 years. I currently use Pinesol (or similar products) in the wash.....it helps clean the laundry & makes it smell really fresh.

I had not heard about vinegar, but will definitely experiment. Especially if it saves money! I used to use baking soda in the wash when my kids were little, & found that "line drying" diapers & baby clothes was "sublime!"
                    "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

Do you mean straight PineSol? In the wash? I've never considered doing that. I only use PineSol to clean my floors, bathrooms, and counters. Is it harsh on clothes? Do they actually smell like PineSol?

Comment

I just wanted to stress safety here if you are going to use ammonia for your laundry or anything else do not mix with things like bleach. It can and may cause injury. You should rather look up the combination before trying to make a new version cleaner and harming yourself.

Comment

I have used white vinegar in the rinse water for 30 yrs. - it really does cut the soap residue left in the clothes and makes them smell very fresh!

Comment

I use Pink Solution as an additive - it really helps clean the clothes and doesn't leave any scent at all. I've also invested in some of those laundry balls for the dryer. I got 2 online and they were expensive but I've now found them in the dollar store so won't need the fabric softener sheets anymore.

I stick one of the softener sheets under the seat in my car to give the car a nice smell or I use a perforated plastic bag with some coffee beans in it to give the car a nice scent.

Comment

I have never heard of using vinegar in the laundry. Does it make the clothes smell like vinegar?

Comment

Working...
                              X