Give us your best Ethnic Recipe you like to make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give us your best Ethnic Recipe you like to make

I enjoy making Soothing Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Miso Soup.

I've got to find my recipes and I'll post later.

Chicken in Soothing Lettuce Wraps
    Keys: Poultry
    Yield: 2 to 3 as an appetizer

Ingredients:

Method:
    Throw in a few initials with a little twist on the last part, and you have the name of Paul
    Fleming and Philip Chiang's Chinese bistro creation, P. F. Chang's. Since the first location
    opened in Scottsdale, Arizona in 1993, over 50 new ones sprouted up across the country -
    in more than 20 states. No matter the location, it's this dish that gets first raves. Like the
    very-dead McDonald's McD.L.T. hamburger, which disappeared around the time the first P.
    F. Chang's opened, the contrasting textures of the cool crispy lettuce and the hot meat
    filling come together in your mouth for a tasty oral dance party. According to waiters, those
    little dark bits in the chicken filling mix are "black mushrooms," and there's a good chance
    your local supermarket doesn't stock them. But a great alternative can be found in the Asian
    food section - straw mushrooms. Just remember to chop the chicken, water chestnuts and
    mushrooms up real good for the final saute. Slip this filling into a lettuce cup, fold it up like
    a taco, add a little "secret sauce," get down tonight.

Special Sauce
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon Chinese hot mustard
    2 teaspoons water
    1 to 3 teaspoons garlic chili paste

Stir Fry Sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar

1 cup fried maifun (rice sticks)*

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 chicken breast fillets
    1 cup minced water chestnuts
    2/3 cup canned straw mushrooms
    3 tablespoons chopped green onion
    1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)

4 to 5 sliced iceberg lettuce cups

These mushrooms do the trick, and they taste absolutely nothing like straw.

Chop, chop, chop. Notice the small pieces of food. This is a good thing.

Hard working lettuce cups production unit in high swing.

1. Make the special sauce (for spooning over your lettuce wraps) by dissolving the 1/4 cup
    sugar in 1/2 cup water in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice
    vinegar, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil. Mix
    well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve the lettuce wraps. Combine the 2
    teaspoons water with the Chinese hot mustard and set this aside as well. Eventually you
    will add your desired measurement of Chinese mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special
    sauce mixture to pour over your lettuce wraps. In the restaurant chain, skilled master
    craftsmen prepare the sauce at your table the same way, depending on your desired heat
    level. We'll talk more about that later.

2. To prepare the filling for your lettuce wraps, bring 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to high
    heat in a wok or large frying pan. Saute the chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or
    until done. Remove chicken from the pan to cool. Keep the oil in the pan and keep the pan hot.

3. As the chicken cools be sure your water chestnuts and mushrooms have been minced to
    about the size of small peas.

4. Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together
    in a small bowl.

5. When you can handle the chicken, hack it up with a sharp knife so that no piece is bigger
    than a dime. With the wok or pan still on high heat, add an additional tablespoon of
    vegetable oil. Add the chicken, garlic, water chestnuts and black mushrooms to the pan.
    Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it
    onto into a dish lined with a bed of fried rice noodles (maifun).

6. Serve chicken with a side of lettuce cups. Make these lettuce cups by slicing the top off
    of a head of iceberg lettuce right through the middle of the head. Pull your lettuce cups off
    of the outside of this slice.

7. Make the special sauce at the table by adding your desired number of mustard and chili
    sauce to the special sauce blend: 1 teaspoon mustard and chili sauce for mild, 2 teaspoons
    each for medium and 3 teaspoons of each for hot.

Stir well.

8. Assemble lettuce wraps by spooning filling into a lettuce cup, adding special sauce over
    the top, folding the sucker up like a taco, then munching down upon it with reckless abandon.

Serves 2 to 3 as an appetizer.

*Tidbits

Follow the directions on the package for frying the maifun (rice sticks) - usually by pouring
    2 inches of vegetable oil into a pan and heating to around 400 degrees. Add maifun, a little
    at a time, and when it floats to the top remove it to a paper towel. This expansive crisping
    process is actually quite exciting.

ROSANNA’S NOTE:

I usually tripple the recipe for Mike and Myself. Also instead of frying my own Maifun, I go to the local chinese restaurant and buy them
    there. Saves time and a big oily mess!

Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by Ro-Ro; 07-04-2008, 12:20 AM. Reason: added the Soothing Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: Give us your best Ethnic Recipe you like to make

Cheese Blintzes and Borscht.

Comment

Rolladen,
      Red Cabbage, and
      Potato Dumplings

Comment

Beef and cheese enchiladas and anything else Mexican food related except Menudo.
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shepards pie and Potato soup (today it's called BAKED potato soup)....mmmmmmm
          And GRAVY BREAD!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sewcute View Post
            Shepards pie and Potato soup (today it's called BAKED potato soup)....mmmmmmm
            And GRAVY BREAD!!!!!!
            What is GRAVY BREAD?? Sounds good ..

Comment

Chicken Paprikash
              Tandoori Chicken

Both easy and delicious

Comment

Cornish pasties and stuffed cabbage.

Comment

RO-RO, had the Chicken Lettuce Wraps last week at P.F. Changs, they are so good.

Comment

well my Spanish side (Spain) has turned Tex-Mex...LOL that means Tex-Mex once a week at least. www.mex-recipes.com

and my Sicilian side I would have to say, American-Italian food and that would have to be at least once a week too. www.bestofsicily.com www.italianfoodforever.com
                    "Copykat Chat Forums" on Facebook, look it up!

E-Foo

Comment

Coming from an Asian background I have to say I like to make a Steak topped with stir fried vegs. over rice, like my Mom used to. She would fry the steak, slice it up into bite size peices. Stir fry some diagonally sliced celery, onions and fresh mushrooms, make a gravy sauce and place on top of steak pieces and serve with hot white rice. Yum!!!!

Comment

My sil is from the Philipines. This is her recipe for sweet 'n' sour pork.

Sweet "N' Sour Pork....by Cora

List of Ingredients

3 cups cooking oil
                        1 lbs. boneless pork cut into 1 inch pieces
                        1 egg
                        tsp. salt
                        1 tsp soy sauce
                        1 cup cornstarch
                        6 sweet gerkins
                        3 med tomatoes, quartered
                        1 small bell pepper, chopped
                        1 can pineapple, tidbits
                        3/4 cup white vinegar
                        1 1/4 cup sugar
                        1/4 cup cornstarch
                        cup water
                        2 Tbs. soy sauce
                        3Tbs. cooking oil

Recipe

In skillet heat 3 cups oil over medium heat. meanwhile, combine cubed pork, egg, salt, 1 tsp. soy sauce,and cup cornstarch. with fingers mix till pork is covered with batter like substance.
                        Add more cornstarch if batter is watery.
                        deep fry pork in hot oil.Drain and set aside

Sweet N sour sauce:
                        heat in saucepan 3 Tbs. oil; when oil is hot add 3/4 cup vinegar, and 2 Tbs soy sauce,add sugar, bring to a boil add 1/4 cup cornstach,with 1/2 cup water. stirring constantly till sauce thickens; lower heat add remaing ingredients, pepper, tomatoes, gerkins and pineapple. heat until sauce bubbles
                        serve with steamed rice .................................
                        I organize chores into catagories.
                        Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

My best "Croatian" recipe is my Pastavazule Soup. It's one of those meals that doesn't have a "recipe" per se, you just have to learn what goes in it and adjust amounts accordingly. My FIL taught me how to make it years ago and now I'm the only one in the family (except for my 80 year old MIL who doesn't cook much any more) who can make it. I get a lot of family requests during the fall/winter to make it since it's a "winter time" meal.

Pastavazule is one of those "old country" poverty recipes..........you use ham hocks to get your ham broth and also throw in some diced up onions for flavor, along with a couple of whole large peeled baking potatoes. After you get your broth and the potatoes get cooked all the way through, you take them out, smash them so there are no large chunks, and set aside as well as the ham hocks.

Then you add a can of dark kidney beans (undrained) to the ham broth, along with the mashed potatoes (stirring until they disintegrate into the broth for thickening). Also add back in the ham meat cut into chunks along with some fresh smoked sausage (which I get from my local "hunky" sausage shop in Steelton, PA). Once the sausage is done, retrieve it and cut it up into bite size slices and add back in. Then, cook some elbow macaroni, rinse with cold water so they stop cooking and add to the rest of the ingredients. Serve with some fresh crusty bread and VIOLA!!!! a meal fit for a "hunky"/Croatian king!!!!
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Roladen (from my mom's side)

Tacos w/Mexican rice (from my dad's side)

Comment

Originally posted by janabanana View Post
                              What is GRAVY BREAD?? Sounds good ..
                              Gravy bread was my nana's way of using up all the left over meat-flavored gravy from sunday's pot roast or roast beef dinner...she said it was born out of the depression.
                              If you were still hungry after your meat (and everything else on your plate) was gone, you placed a peice of white bread on your plate and poured the left over gravy on it. Sorta of like what we say today as "sopping up".

Comment

Working...
                              X