• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with corn on the cob

HI everyone, I need your help again.

How long do you boil corn on the cob?
    Theresa

Re: help with corn on the cob

I don't. I soak it for 5 minutes in the sink then microwave it for 3 minutes per ear. Don't shuck the corn first.

Comment

and i shuck mine and wrap a twig of basil around mine, then wrap with a paper towel. then soak til it drips all over the place and m/w it..2 ears 5 minutes..best ever..

Comment

Well, I still prefer mine boiled over microwaved. Bring the water to a boil, add some salt, put in the ears and boil 8-10 minutes, depending on the age of the corn.

But the absolute best is brush the ears with oil that has been infused with some chipotlle pepper, put on the barbie and roast! Yummo!!
        Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

i prefer boiling, until dh says it's not too soft. you can't eat it too hard, it's harder to digest.
          I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I boil some water with some sugar in it, add the corn after the water begins to boil and simmer for 7 minutes.

Comment

thanks for all the help. it turned out ok, kinda tough, but next time i think i will try to grill it.
              Theresa

Comment

6 ears fresh corn, unhusked
                1/4 pound butter (1 stick), room temperature
                2 teaspoons chili powder
                1 lime, zested
                1 lime, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
                Place the corn in its husks directly on the oven rack and roast until the corn is soft when you press on it, 30 to 40 minutes.

While the corn is roasting, combine the butter with the chili powder and lime zest.

Peel down the husks and tie in a knot to use as a handle while eating. Rub the corn with soft butter mixture, and garnish with a lime wedge. (This roasting method produces the sweetest corn I have ever tasted.)

Comment

May not have been tough because of your cooking, some varieties of corn are tough. I find that big kernal, really yellow corn is always tough. I always look for ears with tiny kernals, and white corn if I can find it. They will be the most tender. Like the others have said, I boil it for about 10-15min, I don't think you can overdo it.

Comment

The best way is to grill it on the BBQ... Husk or no husk, the partially charred kernels make a great flavor.

Comment

i never had luck with grilling it
                      I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I've tried twice to grill it, just didn't work for us either. Was not tender enough and I lost the flavor of corn to the flavor of char. If I want to make it for a group dinner, I just boil up all the corn (like 2 batches of 10cobs ea) then I cut all the kernals off when its cool enough to touch. Place in a glass casserole, add some butter, salt and pepper and let it set on counter till dinnertime, then micro a bit to heat up. All the fresh corn flavor but none of the mess with company.

Comment

Cover corn with water, add a little milk, NO SALT, bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Perfect every time.

Comment

You're not supposed to boil corn. Bring the water to a boil, add corn, return to boil. Then turn off heat and let the corn steep for approximately 8 minutes. Boiling makes it tough and chewy.

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                            Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                            But Love and I had the wit to win:
                            We drew a circle that took him in.
                            -Edwin Markham

Comment

I Like To Steam Mine.
                              SHEL

Comment

Working...
                              X