did you animals survive 4th of july

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you animals survive 4th of july

since my dogs are old and hard of hearing they didn't have a problem..my cat hid under my ds's bed..my neighborhood is full of dogs..i only heard one of them barking..i guess they were all inside..

Re: did you animals survive 4th of july

Yes! This year I took precautions to make sure they survived! Last year I was working at night and when I got home I found out that my Chesapeake Bay retriever had been so scared of the fireworks that she dug her way up under the deck and had injured her paws badly trying to get away from the sound! The dogs were inside with me last night and I had the sound on the TV up loud enough that they didnt pay much attention to the fireworks. Helped too that we had a storm so all the MAJOR fireworks were cancelled.

Comment

My dear beagle Princess doesn't even like thunderstorms, so the fireworks which are held just under a mile from where I live means major trauma. I do always make sure to have a vet prescribed tranquilizer on hand for the 4th which I give her about 90 minutes before they start which helps. She'll invariably go into the bathroom which she apparently feels is an appropriate 'bomb shelter'. My other dog, Pal, is fine as long as I'm home. He's in my lap with the first boom and remains there until the last go round.

Comment

My cats love to watch the bursts in the sky. I love watching them watch. They are not scaredy cats!!!!! sorry I just had to say it!!
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

My dog goes crazy with storms and fireworks. It will take the poor baby at least a week to recover from the 4th. Next year I am going to get something from the vet to calm him. He does not even want to go out long enough to potty.

Comment

Lucy was so excited thinking they were gun shots and kept looking for dead birds... There is a college 2 blocks from us and they do an awesome fireworks show, which I can see from my backyard. So each time the boom went off, there she was scampering all around the back yard sniffing...

Comment

riley went out on the boat with us to watch the fireworks. he has gone every year that i have gone.
              SHEL

Comment

Peaches went w/ us on the boat too! It was great!!
                "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Yeah ok this was posted a while ago but since I wasn't here I'll add my 2 cents. I am fortunate with the dog we have now, she was at the dog pound out by the police gun range. So she got used to hearing the loud noises. Occasionaly she will bark at the firecrackers in the street but that is it. The cat could care less. She just takes a nap.

The last dog we had went balistic at loud noises. Fireworks and storms would make him panic so bad, no medicine from the Vet would help. He took out 2 outside doors and a large number of indoor furnishings when he would panic. But he was the best dog in the world otherwise. He would let you know someone was at the door and when you tell him to "Guard" he would sit there while I answered the door. People would look past me at him and just mind their P's and Q's. But one day he got out and never came back. /sigh Oh well.

Huffle
                  God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X