Had to get rid of my garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to get rid of my garden

I had to destroy my garden because the farmer next door was spraying weed killer and it drifted all over my garden and corn in the fields. I was just beginning to get tomatoes and squash and the garden was doing great. The insurance adjusters made us destroy it because they thought we might eat it. We will get paid for it but its not the same and too late to plant most of it over. And this is the 2nd time . Last time they got the tobacco. Careless people.

Re: Had to get rid of my garden

That's too bad! Gardens are hard work, all that going to waste because the neighbor won't pay attention! Start charging his insurance, or he himself and maybe he'll pay more attention next time.

Good luck.

Comment

Redbird, is there something you can do the next time you put in a garden? Or talk to the farmer when he is going to spray so you can cover the plants up or something? That's sad because it takes time to plant all of it plus getting the plants. It's exciting to see veggies start to grow. You are taking it well, I would be over to Mr. Farmer's house to see if we can come to an agreement for next year.

Comment

I love a garden. Our tiller died and I refuse to til up the soil by hand. I'm just too old for that! (Well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Did the farmer do his own spraying, or did he have it done. Definitely tell him he needs to check on the wind direction and let you have a heads up next year, if he is that dumb, maybe he needs to learn to spray properly.

Comment

You know, thats a crying shame. Gardening is a lot of hard work, and youre right - theres nothing like home-grown vegetables. I would be furious. My small garden is doomed this year too because its been so dry and I havent had the time to get out and water every day like I should have. But at least I know its my own fault and no one else destroyed it for me!

Comment

how awful..

Comment

Red, we had the same problem outside of Paris. We figured out that the best time for our neighbor to spray was at dawn. The winds are non existant and will pick up after 9 am. Yep, lost many tobacco crops to the dunderheads living next to me. laura

Comment

That is terrble.

Comment

well being a farmer and a gardner i know both side of this issue. my dh tries his hardest not to spray when it is windy as the chemicals do fly in the air very easy. dh actually killed some of his own beans when spaying a field of corn--and the fields were acout 150 feet apart. i am sure the farmer didn't intend on hurting the garden. and yes you could cover the plants when spraying so the wouldn't get hit by chemicals-- dh did this to some tomato plants that were by one of the corn fields.

dh also was telling me just lst night as we were sitting in the hot tub that one of the chemicals he puts on the corn turns into a gas and can for up to a month after it is sprayed be blown and could kill shrubs and plants.

sorry to hear about your garden.
                    SHEL

Comment

Working...
                    X