New bed - too high v. too low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bed - too high v. too low

Could you believe I did something without consulting you fine folk first?

We bought new beds at Sleepy's - it's been 22 years and we really needed it, with DH's sleep apnea, he doens't need anything else disturbing his sleep. Ours clanked when we rolled over, have been moved four times over the years, and the frames have been broken for years.

Well...long story short, the bed is really high off of the ground and being that I'm only 5 feet three inches tall, am having a hard time getting used to it. DH is 6 feet tall. To add insult to injury, we are considering buying Captain's Beds for the frame - it's a lovely wooden frame with drawers built in !!!! If we get it, the beds will be quite low.

So - please discuss - do you prefer a higher bed or a lower bed ?
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Re: New bed - too high v. too low

Higher bed due to back/hip problems. Same with cars--easier to get in and out of something like an SUV than a sedan. But I'm 5'6"
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I love high beds. The only problem I have is that my pooch can only get up on it if he's in a fiesty mood and has a running start

Comment

Higher.......
        Just wanted to add, that I am only 5' 4"
        Last edited by Sabine; 07-09-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I like my higher bed
          Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

High!!! so much easier getting out of!!

Comment

I'm 5'1" and I hate my high bed. I bought one of those Posturepedic mattresses that has no "give" to it at all. It is so high and thick that if I want to sit on the side of the bed to put my socks and shoes on, I have to literally jump or crawl up on the bed to do it because I am so short that my butt wont reach the top of the mattress.

ok...tmi

Comment

The higher the better for me. I'd love to have a bed I once saw years ago that was up on a pedestal and had steps leading up to get into it. That would solve the problem of being short.
                Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

High Bed For Me!!

Comment

I don't think I would like a low bed. I want to get off or step down a little bit. I have a hard time getting up off of low things.

Comment

Mine is just average, and although I would much prefer a higher bed to a lower one, I am content with just being in the middle for now.
                      A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

We bought new king size mattress & box spring set 3 years ago. Mattress is 18" thick. We opted for a low-boy frame that sits only 4 inches off the floor. That lowers the springs and mattress considerably. I am under 5' tall and don't like having to jump to get into the darned bed. Don't want my feet dangling 12 or more inches off the side when I get up. My hubby is 5'10 and had no problem getting in or out of the bed. We both like it.

Chocolate & Cotton - if you want your bed lower, check with your store where you bought your mattress. Our set is Simmons Beauty Rest and while we were shopping I said I didn't like them so high and they showed us the low-boy frame and order one for us.

Comment

My DD who is about 5'2" recently bought a bed and didn't realize how high it was until it was delivered. Her biggest problem with it was that her short legged dogs couldn't get up on it, so she went back to the store and got one of the lower frames. Much better now according to her. Personally, I don't see how she sleeps at night with 5 dogs, leaping and scratching beside her. That's just not for me.

Comment

I'm 5'6", and I love my high bed! My ex MIL stayed at my house with my mom while we went to my son's basic training graduation last week, and slept in my bed. She said it took her a while to figure out how she was going to climb up there, but once she did she slept well! LOLOL

A day without laughter is a day wasted...Charlie Chaplin

Comment

Working...
                            X