Salmon - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon - Help!

I left some salmon out on the counter overnight in brine - I forgot to put it in the fridge. I was going to smoke it for dinner tonight. Do you think its ok to eat since it was in the salty water, or should I throw it out? Oh, also I'm newly pregnant...that may make a difference in your response. I know that if I'm questioning it, I should just throw it out, but I paid a lot of money for it and I hate to waste it if it might still be ok.

Re: Salmon - Help!

fish is vry sensitive but brine is sort of like picking it, right? was it frozen? is your house cool? hwo does it smell ?
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I don't know, if it was me, I would throw it out, and start over. Food poisoning is no fun.

Comment

I Would Toss It.
        SHEL

Comment

I ended up throwing it down the garbage disposal this morning even though it smelled ok. I would never forgive myself if something happened to the baby as a result of eating it. I wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway at that point b/c I would have been so paranoid about whether something would harm the baby, so I just tossed it...$15 down the drain! ouch...

Comment

Can't say I haven't done the same sort of thing before (like putting a big roast in the crockpot and forgetting to turn it on), but better safe than sorry.

Comment

Not worth taking your chances.

Comment

Also on the pregnancy note FDA and EPA revised its advisories on mercury in fish for pregnant women and young children. Generally they are advised to eat no more than 2 meals of low-mercury fish per week - one can of salmon or half a salmon steak is considered one meal. Just FYI.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!
                The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                  ... I would throw it out, and start over. Food poisoning is no fun.
                  I agree with Sabine...
                  There is nothing better than good food
                  There is nothing worse than food that makes you ill

When I was a kid, my friend's mom had botulism. She was confined to her bed and violently ill for 6 months. Very sad.

Comment

Working...
                  X