Kitchen Bouquet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Bouquet

Have you ever used it? I haven't. I see recipes that call for it all the time. Does it have a flavor? I thought it was just a "browning" sauce.
    I've never missed it in any recipes. I guess cause I've never tried it. But.... is it sooooo good I need to invest in some??

Re: Kitchen Bouquet

Is this the same thing as 'bouquet garni' or is it a brand name seasoning?
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

It's a brand name. It's a brown liquid. I've read it called a browning sauce, to make gravy's more brown, and I've heard it called a seasoning. Just curious about it.

Comment

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/encyclopaedia!openframeset&frame=Right&Src=/edible.nsf/pages/kitchenbouquet!opendocument

Comment

My MIL has always used it in her Turkey Gravy. Dan says that a little bit goes a long way as far as flavor and color. I have never used it, and my Turkey Gravy does taste different that MIL'S, but I don't know if it is because of that or other seasonings... She does make Excellent Turkey Gravy though...
          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Love it!!! I little does go a long way. My mom used it for years too.
            The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

That was a staple in our cupboards growing up.. All it does is turn white gravy brown. It has no flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by janabanana View Post
                That was a staple in our cupboards growing up.. All it does is turn white gravy brown. It has no flavor.
                I think it has flavor. Funny, I guess it's like it says on the site Nu posted:

Some people think it has no flavour; some people think the flavour is an important part of it; some people don't like the flavour, thinking it tastes burnt. The truth is, the flavour tastes mildly like beef. It is made from herbs, spices, vegetables and water.

But, it does say on the bottle Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce.
                The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

My Mom used it all the time for gravies. I use it too sometimes. Just use a small amount ,it darkens gravies. If you don't have enough browness in the pan gravy can be real light and not appealing a few drops really helps out. My Mom also love Wondra flour for gravy too, I use it because it doesn't lump up.

Comment

I use it in my gravy too, usually turkey gravy. I will use it at other times if I think the gravy is bland.

Comment

There was always a bottle in our cupboard when I was growing up. I have it now... after last year's turkey gravy tasted a bit bland. Just a few drops'll do ya! It's very salty and adds flavor and color.
                      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Thanks ya'll. Guess I'll get a bottle and try it.

Comment

I remember "Kitchen Bouquet" from way back when. All I can remember it being used for was gravy.

Comment

I used the stuff back in the 1980's. My ex mil swore by it, so of course I had to learn to use it. It does make good gravy, but I learned how to make great gravies without it. I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it!
                            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Always in our cupboard growing up too. I mainly use it on turkeys in the roaster (for browning color) and for gravy. I am one of those who thinks it has a taste too! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X