Sunday, Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday, Sunday

I know I don't have the voice CookinKat does, so please bear (bare??) with me...... hhhmmmmm (clearing throat)

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
    That saved a wretch like me.
    I once was lost but now am found,
    Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
    And Grace, my fears relieved.
    How precious did that Grace appear
    The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
    I have already come;
    'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
    and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
    His word my hope secures.
    He will my shield and portion be,
    As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
    And mortal life shall cease,
    I shall possess within the veil,
    A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
    Bright shining as the sun.
    We've no less days to sing God's praise
    Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
    That saved a wretch like me.
    I once was lost but now am found,
    Was blind, but now I see.

Re: Sunday, Sunday

I know you didn't expect that from me. That has to be my most favoite song in the world, and it was going thru my head, so I thought I'd sing it for you. Did you enjoy it???

Any special plans today? I'm suppose to take my GS to the spray park after lunch today, but it looks like rain, so they'll probably close the pool. Best laid plans, always make me fall flat on my face!!! Especially after a few shots of tequila!!! lol

Comment

That was great and something I needed to hear today. This past week I fell at a picnic and hit the picnic table with my shoulder and broke it (my shoulder not the picnic table). Coming up this Thursday can you say partial shoulder replacement? Unbelievable.

Comment

Amazing Grace is one of my favorite hymns. No, I didn't expect that one from you Nu.
        Nothing special going on here, just another lazy Sunday, may go up to the pool. No rain in our forecast, I wish.

Comment

Well, I am spending the day doing laundry, packing, and shopping for the grandkids (can't take too much on a plane). Our Alaska trip is Tuesday. We'll be there for 10 days...can't wait! Nu...not to be a downer, but 3 years ago at my Dad's funeral, my sister and I had some very dear friends, and very accomplished singers, sing Amazing Grace acapella (sp?), and there was not a dry eye in the place. It was his favorite. It was simply beautiful and a very nice tribute. Well, back to Alaska...I have a new camera and I'm ready to roll!

Comment

[QUOTE=Sabine;258722]Amazing Grace is one of my favorite hymns.QUOTE]

Mine too!

Not much planned today, popping into Target and then back home, looks like rain and I don't see swimming so we'll watch a DVD.

Comment

I'm sorry it made you sad, just think of the happy times you had with him.

Have a great trip to Alaska. Do you need a nurse to go with you? Someone must be feeling bad, needs me to go to get them well..... right???

Comment

hey, i did laundry,give me some credit, lol,otherwise im gonna be lazy,and where is Jana?

Comment

How about a little Kris Kristofferson???? I always loved him. Can't sing worth a damned, but I like his songs!! lol

Well I woke up Sunday morning,
                  With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
                  And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
                  So I had one more for dessert.
                  Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes,
                  And found my cleanest dirty shirt.
                  An' I shaved my face and combed my hair,
                  An' stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.

I'd smoked my brain the night before,
                  On cigarettes and songs I'd been pickin'.
                  But I lit my first and watched a small kid,
                  Cussin' at a can that he was kicking.
                  Then I crossed the empty street,
                  'n caught the Sunday smell of someone fryin' chicken.
                  And it took me back to somethin',
                  That I'd lost somehow, somewhere along the way.

On the Sunday morning sidewalk,
                  Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
                  'Cos there's something in a Sunday,
                  Makes a body feel alone.
                  And there's nothin' short of dyin',
                  Half as lonesome as the sound,
                  On the sleepin' city sidewalks:
                  Sunday mornin' comin' down.

In the park I saw a daddy,
                  With a laughin' little girl who he was swingin'.
                  And I stopped beside a Sunday school,
                  And listened to the song they were singin'.
                  Then I headed back for home,
                  And somewhere far away a lonely bell was ringin'.
                  And it echoed through the canyons,
                  Like the disappearing dreams of yesterday.

On the Sunday morning sidewalk,
                  Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
                  'Cos there's something in a Sunday,
                  Makes a body feel alone.
                  And there's nothin' short of dyin',
                  Half as lonesome as the sound,
                  On the sleepin' city sidewalks:
                  Sunday mornin' comin' down.

Do do do do do do do do,
                  Do do do do do do do,
                  Do do do do do do do do,
                  Do do do do do do do.

I just want do know, why so much do do at the end of the song! lol

Comment

Lovely song for a Sunday morning Nu! I have the day off today, and I am having a little Sunday dilemma - my grass needs to be cut and I seldom get a day off to do it. It just feels wrong to cut grass on a Sunday. Just the way I was raised here in the Bible Belt. I can hear my dad now - even if you choose to go out there and do it, it would be disrespectful of your Christian neighbors for you to make all that noise on a Sunday. My dad was an avid fisherman and hunter, but never NEVER on a Sunday.

Comment

Good Morning Dh got up with the kiddos and I slept in. How sweet!

Nu, you sang both of those just fine. We played the Johnny Cash version of Sunday morning sidewalk at my mom's funeral because she loved him singing it

We are going to do as little as possible today. It rained here last night so everything is all wet. I will probably play some computer games and the kids will play on the Wii and may swim later, and DH will play on his laptop! Exciting day!!

Hope you all have a great one.

Have fun and stay safe in Alaska Deb.
                      Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do you know the story of John Newton, the sea captain who wrote "Amazing Grace"? This is the way I remember hearing it in church years ago......He spent many years delivering slaves from Africa to other countries.....they experienced terrible conditions, of course......tied to one another, their bodies stacked like wood in the botton of the ship, very little food or water....many of them died, of course. But he made a lot of money doing it and seemed to have no guilt about it. But once night during a violent storm that almost capsized his ship, he suddenly 'got religion' (he'd been raised a Christian but had long ago left it behind)....and when the storm was over he wrote the poem, 'Amazing Grace.' He never carried slaves again and, as I recall, he eventually became a minister back in England. (I may have some details wrong, but I think that's close).

Whenever I think of that story, I think of the scripture "raise up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.' He may lose his way for a while, but you can always hope that his early 'raising' will bring him back to 'the way he should go.'

(end of sermon).

Have a good Sunday, everyone......

Comment

I never knew that Gayle, Thanks. When I had my first child, my preachers wife needlepointed me a swatch, or whatever you call it, of that verse, and put it in a frame for me to hang up. I still have it, and my first baby is almost 24!

Comment

lol yea Nu, there's a pretty recent movie on it.

no plans here. didn't plan anything, not doing anything.
                            house is all shiny and clean. kids are all home. busy week ahead.
                            and that's that.

not cooking, it's fridge clean out day.
                            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Originally posted by cottun View Post
                              Lovely song for a Sunday morning Nu! I have the day off today, and I am having a little Sunday dilemma - my grass needs to be cut and I seldom get a day off to do it. It just feels wrong to cut grass on a Sunday. Just the way I was raised here in the Bible Belt. I can hear my dad now - even if you choose to go out there and do it, it would be disrespectful of your Christian neighbors for you to make all that noise on a Sunday. My dad was an avid fisherman and hunter, but never NEVER on a Sunday.
                              I'm figurin' that's why there are so few boats out on the lake on Sundays... our fave day to go! Works for me!!
                              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X