Sundays things were closed & not to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundays things were closed & not to do

Does anyone remember when all stores were closed on Sundays? Hardly anything was open. Also my family & neighbors too on Sundays would never go to a movie. Not really do any hard work around the house. Never do laundry. I am in my 50's but grew up like this. Had to have big Sunday dinner with relatives too. My parents would say Sunday is a day of rest. Funny, Sunday for us is doing yard work, a load of clothes maybe go to the mall. Just getting things done. Things really has changed. I'm glad stores are open now.

Re: Sundays things were closed & not to do

With most families having two people who work, those weekends are for errands. I'm glad you brought this up. I could make one day a week for just rest/fun if I wanted. Maybe I should schedule errands and housework differently to do that. Even though I don't house clean or wash clothes or laundry every day, I tell myself I should every day. Would be nice to have a break from that and there is really no reason not to. I'll still work on some of my comedy projects and cook but that's more of a hobby.
    www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Funny you should bring this up. We moved to rural Arkansas from about an hour north of Philadelphia, PA. We were SHOCKED to see how many stores are closed on Sundays here. Most banks aren't even open on Saturday, never mind Sunday like many were in PA! Of course, WallyWorld never closes but I find the stores closed on Sunday really refreshing. If we can't figure out we need something and get it on Saturday... how badly do we need it???
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I definitely remember the "blue laws" of Sunday!!!!

My mother was a SAHM until I was 11 and my brother 9........so she did all her "house cleaning" on Fridays and laundry on Saturdays and everything was hung out on a clothesline because we didn't have a dryer until I was about 10.

On Sunday's, dinner at our house had to be served between 12 noon and 1:00 p.m. (mostly 12 noon) because my father felt any later than that, we were wasting time on "his" day off. After the dishes were done from dinner, my parents liked to go for "Sunday drives"......that was when gas was like 22 cents per gallon.......or visit relatives, or go to "Laurel Lake" or "Pinchot Park" for picnics in the summers. I used to hate the Sunday car rides because so many times I would get car sick. I cannot read in the car still to this day. My brother however, would take along his big collection of comics books and read in the back of our station wagon......I would sleep in the back seat so I wouldn't get sick, lol.

On Sunday evenings after our day of "whatever", our meal was usually just as simple as "soup and sandwiches" or "breakfast for dinner". Afterwards, we watched "the Wonderful World of Disney" or "The Ed Sullivan Show". Sometimes my mom would let us eat our dessert on "TV trays" while watching these shows before bed.

Times were much simpler then, but I'm with SJP, I do like that the stores are open on Sundays. It helps for those of us who work full-time during the week to be able to have another day of the week to get everything done. Personally, I could use a 3 day weekend every week!!! One day to clean and do laundry, one day to grocery shop and one day to cook for the week. Every Monday when someone asks me how my weekend was, most of the time my response is......."my weekends are just an extension of my work week!!!!"
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I think the blue laws were a good thing. Banks are not open around here on weekends either. A few are open until 12 on Saturday, but I never have to go on Saturday, so it doesn't matter to me.
          It makes you wonder how much of our gas problems are because no one ever stays home. Just think about how much gas would be saved if everything was closed one day a week and people actually stayed home.

Comment

Very true Allie, I agree with you totally. However, with the way the prices of things are going up and our paychecks aren't........some of us have had to get part time jobs to supplement our full time jobs and really need as many days per week to fit it all in to our lives!!!
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

For sure weekends are errand times; how many times did i commute home after a day of work and find the gates already down on stores that i needed ? not everyone goes away for weekends, we need amenities then too.
              I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I remember too. Our Publix Supermarket store was closed on Sundays until the old man died. I guess it was his rule not his kids once they took over.

Chick-Fil-A is still closed on Sundays.

I see the good and the bad with both.
                "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I do see the part about the part time weekend jobs needed now days. I guess there is a good and bad side to everything. But gee, things need to slow down a little bit.

In the years past, people didn't need that second car...now we need a car for everyone in the house. We didn't have A/C when I was growing up...or a dryer. We had one TV and we played outside. Our main toy was a bicycle and I rode my bike to school...or walked. We didn't need video games and computers. Mom stayed home and dad went to work. We made one trip to the grocery store a week. My dad rode in a 5-man carpool, so he drove to work once a week. There was never any junk food in the house and we never ate out unless we were traveling. The teenagers worked for their own cars and spending money. I rode the bus to college (colleges don't offer that anymore).
                  If people didn't want so much unnecessary stuff, many of them wouldn't need that part-time job. I'm not ragging on anyone, because I am just as guilty.

Comment

I Remember Those Days. We Use To Go To Oklahoma On Sunday's They Were Open.

Comment

Times are changing in this area for sure, but I just couldnt bring myself to go out and cut my grass yesterday. It just felt wrong to do it. Maybe its just this area, but some of the old traditions are still observed here. Some of the major stores here open on Sunday, but the ones with local roots are closed. Even our local grocery chain, Ukrops, is closed on Sundays. When I was younger we went to church on Sunday and then it was a day of rest. The women cooked for Sunday on Saturdays and just warmed it up. The men didnt hunt, fish, drink, or do any of the things they typically did other days of the week on Sunday. And the women did no washing, ironing, or any "big" housework on Sundays. Come to think of it, I dont either.

Comment

I remember stores being closed on Sundays, now we have some grocery stores that are open 24/7. Our local CVS is open 24/7, I don't have a clue who shops in the middle of night ? But it must be worth it for the stores to stay open.
                        Personally I like the way things are, I have been known to run to the store on Sunday because I wanted a particular item. Lots of people here in our neighborhood do yard work on weekends, they are working during the week, that's the only time they have. Where is it written that you cannot do these things on Sunday??? When I was working full time, being single, Saturday / Sunday was the only time I had to get those things done, housework, laundry, yardwork, shopping etc.
                        Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby are closed on Sundays here also. They are owned by the same parent company.

Comment

We still have closed stores on Sunday. Hobby Lobby and Mardels of course are headquartered in OKC and they are closed here every Sunday too. Chick-fil-a is headquartered in Atlanta and they are also closed here Sundays. I remember when I was younger going to the mall and all the food court places being open except Chic-fil-a on Sundays. Never knew why back then.

I live in a little town so most of our little local stuff is still closed on Sunday. Our national chain stores are open. I like the small town mentality with the big city within 5-10 minutes away!
                          Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

You got the best of both worlds Cindy.

Comment

I remember seeing a closed Chik-Fil-A in a mall on Sunday and they had a sign on the counter that said:

We close on Sundays so that our employees can spend the day with their families.

I thought it was GREAT!!
                              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X