Allergic to Wheat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic to Wheat??

Is anyone allergic to wheat? DD#1 has such a sensitive stomach. She is lactose intolerant and is now a vegetarian cause the meat bothered her so much and now I'm curious if she is allergic to wheat. She now gets sick after eating almost anything. Any help or suggestions?

Re: Allergic to Wheat??

Have her go off wheat for 1 week and see if there is a difference in how she feels. No modified food starch either. No Barley or oats or kamut.

She can live without for a week. Make rice and corn and potato dishes. 5 days might be enough to know if she can't stand it anymore. It's not one of these things where she has to stay off it for 3 months to see...
    Last edited by southernjewishprincess; 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM.
    www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Yep... been a diagnosed Celiac for about 6 years and my middle DD for about 3. Not allergic... intolerant.

A doctor explained it to me this way. If I eat wheat (gluten really... found in wheat, rye, and barley... oats are iffy) my small intestine attacks itself and the tiny finger-like projections (villi) that move the food along and absorb the nutrients lie down flat. The food shoots thru (NOT pretty) and I don't absorb any of the nutrients!

There are no meds... only a completely gluten free diet is the answer. Eating ANY gluten attacks your small intestine so even the occasional cheat is not an option. Plus, the physical repurcussions of an unintentional cheat are so bad... purposely cheating is insanity...

Check out the Celiac.com site. They have a forum there too (I'm luvs2eat there too) w/ many veterans who know everything!! There are recipes and lots of support.

The diet can be a real pain... especially if you don't like to cook, but I feel that in the scheme of things that can and do happen to people... this is nothing.

Good luck!!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by southernjewishprincess View Post
        Have her go off wheat for 1 week and see if there is a difference in how she feels. No mocified food starch either.
        According to research I've read... if a product is made inside the United States, modified food starch is okay to eat. I do tend to stay away from it tho.
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Oh, and if she's lactose intolerant that may be caused by the problem in her intestines from a wheat allergy. Sometimes people stay off the wheat for a couple of months and they can reintroduce the dairy. Everyone is different but it happens like that sometimes.

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

That's one of those people differ on. I'd stay off it to be safe and to stay away from "fake starches" like maltodextrin for just that week. But luvs is right, most but not all modified starch is not wheat. It's just that when it is, it's like the worst thing you can have.

Maltodextrin is supposed to be corn I think but it bothers me, and I can have corn.

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Gluten Intolerance was my first guess also. I have heard that we would all be better off if we cut Gluten out of our diets. It is possible, like SJP pointed out, that the other problems could be stemming from the Gluten, rather than the other food that she is trying to avoid..
              Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yea, I was kind of thinking the same thing--Lauren. Thanks for all your responses and help. It is a guessing game at this point. I haven't taken her to the doc lately, but I figure they will want a food diary anyway. Hopefully, she will give this a try.

Comment

maybe you should have a food allergy test done. Not the skin prick test, but the blood test.
                  The IgG Standard Food Sensitivity Assay.

it tests for antibodies of allergens, in the bloodstream.

My ds started out testing for one thing at a time and it got him nowhere, because it could be anything from the oils that foods are cooked in, to the yeast in breads...not necessarily the wheat.
                  My ds found out he was allergic to Amaranth, kidney beans, lima beans, cow's milk, peanuts (and peanut oil), canola oil, radish, sunflower seeds (and the oil), brewer's yeast and baker's yeast. That doesn't leave much to eat and he cannot eat out anywhere.
                  The test would give you a better place to start.
                  Last edited by AllieK; 07-14-2008, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I have had three allergy tests. All three had different results. Am I the only one?

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Jackie, allergy tests are not 100% accurate. Our bodies change from day to day and food allergies that weren't there in the younger years are probably a sign of something else. It's really hard to find the trigger sometimes, but it helps not eating what you are allergic to at the time.
                      My ds has been sick for just 2 1/2 years and he is now allergic to stuff that he never had a problem with before it hit him. He is 28 now, so for 25 years, he was fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X