debt collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debt collectors

can someone tell me if this situation is illegal? sallie mae called our house today looking for dd2 (she is a month or so late on her student loan). the woman asked if i was her mother and when i verified that, she told me dd2 was late on payments and what could they (sallie mae) do to help out if they could. i asked the woman........am i a co-signer on this loan? she told me no, that it is only in dd2's name. then i asked.....isnt this illegal giving me personal info without dd2's permission? woman said since i was her mother......it was legal. dd2 isnt underage anymore, she is 20 1/2! i would think with all the privacy laws out there, that giving personal info out would be against the law. heck, there have been things i couldnt get info on for dh and we have been married over 25 years!
    http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Re: debt collectors

No, it's not legal unless DD told them they had her permission to tell you personal things.

Comment

I hear all the time student loans & not many pay it off. My neice has $40,000 in student loans paying about $100 a month, don't know when that will be paid off. Since it has nothing to do with you, block the number. Also tell DD maybe just pay a little a month to keep them off the phone. I read that now they are really going to be selective about student loans because of the economy. They have about 1/3 of college students with loans may have to quit school because it will be real hard to get one. They are going to be very selective about who gets a loan.

Comment

It is very illegal. I would have asked for her name. Then I would have asked to speak to her supervisor.

Comment

I've received information from debt collectors many times when I got divorced. They would call my number looking for my ex and I asked them why (being nosey) so I told them I wouldn't give them his number unless they gave me info as to why they were calling. Well they wanted a number or address real badly so finally they would cave in and give me info as to why they were calling. At the time it was important for me to know because he was late on his child payments.

Comment

If you don't answer them they can even legally call your neighbors and ask them to have you call them. How do I know that? It happened to my great aunt. They can do alot more than you think they can. They just cannot threaten you.
            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

OT - When I was 16 my Dr told my mom IN FRONT OF ME that I needed to stop taking the birth control pills becuase I had developed HBP...HE put me on BCP's for cramps but my mother didnt know it...boy was THAT a tough year

Comment

i have been reading on this and they can only contact others if they dont know how to contact the person. but they cant say they are a debt collector and cannot give out any info.

May a debt collector contact my neighbors or family members about my debt?

Not if the collector knows your name and telephone number and could have contacted you directly. When contacting your family members including minors or neighbors to find out how to locate you, the collector:

Cannot tell others you owe a debt or discuss details of the account.
                Must identity himself, (by name, but not as a debt collector).
                Must identity the name of the collection agency only if asked.
                Can only contact the party once unless the collection agency has reason to believe the person has new information.
                Cannot leave information about a debt on a third party's answering machine or voice mail service.

Contacts with a spouse, the parent of a minor, a guardian, co-signer, executor, or administrator are considered the same as contacts with the debtor under the FDCPA.
                http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

huh...but she said DD was no longer a minor...did this guy cross the line?

Comment

When we went to Credit Counseling Service our counselor told us it is illegal for the debt collectors to discuss anything in regards to a debt or collections with anyone other than the person whose name is on the debt.

So, yes it was illegal what they did. Oh, and with todays internet you can believe that the debt collectors can find out almost anything about you including who your neighbors are and who your family is.

Our counselor told us to write a letter to our creditors informing them that they were to cease and desist the phone calls to our home, and that they were not allowed to discuss our debt with any of our neighbors, family, or coworkers.

So, your dd needs to contact sallie mae and let them know that they do not have permission to talk to anyone but her about her debt.

dragun

Comment

I'd be glad if they called about my any of my sons. I'd tell my son to pay his darn bills! Why isn't she paying the loan payments? I'd tell her to get a
                      2nd, 3rd, 4th job...whatever she needs to do to pay her loans. At 20.5yrs old, she is old enough to take responsibility. I don't have any patience for people who don't pay back money they owe. If you can't repay the loan, don't take the credit. Simple as that. Very important lesson to learn here about her credit and responsibility. The ones who don't repay the school loans are going to ruin the opportunities for other students.
                      Last edited by CalicoSkiesNC; 07-15-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X