Girls and Hormones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls and Hormones

Ok, so I really did not want to hijack the girl scout thread from sewcute, but truly i need to say this.

GIRLS NEED TO KNOW NOW ABOUT HORMONES!!!

We can no longoer sit back as moms, aunts, grandmas etc. and think oh this or that age is too young. My 8 yr old started her period. Yesterday, a mother that I don't know very well, but we have a mutual friend, had me call her 10 yr old to talk about her period starting. These girls who are starting early need to know and their friends need the info before they start.

All this little 10 yr old was to talk to someone her own age about what was happening to her. Also, how my girl handled school and being out with her friends while she was having her monthly. The girls talked together for 1/2 hour about this subject.

Yes, I would love to think that we can keep them young. But in this world today, you are doing them a disservice to them. Or they are going to get bad info from their peers.

Sorry for the rant. I am just very passionate about this all.

Dragun

Re: Girls and Hormones

No kidding and the hormone flip flop is seeming to start earlier too. My greatniece is going to be 9 at the end of the month and I swear she is possesed sometimes. She will be sweet and nice and all of a sudden....OMG she is pouting and moody like I have never seen. Good luck with it all. As a kid the only thing I was told was 5 words...."Don't have sex with men."
    Yeah that was no help at all. I guess that is why schools started teaching kids about periods and all that. Parents used to be to uncomfortable about talking about it. Not me I told them what they needed to know and what kind of behavior I expected from them as they got older. Yep even the boys and told them about girls and periods. Think they were cringing but atleast they know the information.

Huffle
    God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

Back in 65, I was 10 when I started.. Took my Chatty Cathy to the bathroom with me, and screamed bloody murder, thinking I was dying..

Comment

I wouldnt mind if you hi-jacked my thread...hell I've done it a few times myself - LOL!!!

Yes, girls are getting it much younger today versus 15-20years ago. I sware its all the hormones and antibiotics they put in the milk and feed the cows/chickens. I know these girls are blooming right before our eyes. I DEAL with the hormonal rages. But the school still waits till the 5th grade to show that good for nothing tape. More than 60% ofthe 5th graders last year already had it.

Comment

OMG! I so remember the "I think I am dying" but thank goodness my sisters filled me in.

I talked to my lexie on her level and held back the old "your a woman now and can have babies". And we have talked alot about hormones. Why she can be vicious sometimes and sweet and normal. I reminded her that she has to be careful not to let the hormones overrun. But, her daddy can tell when she is getting ready for "that time of the month". She is mean.

dragun

Comment

Wow. I started in the 4th grade myself. I think my Mom must have talked with me about it first because I don't remember being scared or freaked out or anything.

Unfortunately, in today's world, our babies just can't stay babies as long as we would like them to.. Between Friends, TV, Movies, the Internet, they WILL learn things.

My question is.. what age is NOW the appropriate age to talk about this with your Daughters?

I had sons, and we did talk about Sex when they were both still in grade school, and even as early as I THOUGHT I was talking to them, they ALREADY KNEW!!
            Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

My mom was/is a nurse. She never once told me anything about my period. The "movie" they showed back then didn't make a lick of sense! I had no idea what was happening when I started mine at 10 yrs old.

We've always been real open with our kids. She knew all about it before it happened. My DS can't stand it if/when we talk about "The P word" lol

Comment

I will share it with my DD when she starts or asks. I will also talk to her about it after her 5th grade movie. I will not mention anything unless she asks me. She knows that she can ask me or my SIL anything if she does not feel comfortable asking me. I just feel like we are forcing our daughters to grow up way too fast. Slow down and enjoy the little girl ride. I still believe that it is time to talk when they are ready, not when we think they are ready. JMHO. Oh, I am very passionate about it as well

I really didn't feel like we hijacked the post since it was mentioned. If we did, please accept my apology.
                Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can't imagine how it doesn't come up when they're younger! I had/have 3 DDs and we were talking about it at early ages!! They sure knew what was up WAY before it happened!! But then... they were pretty young when a friend's kid gave them a really twisted explanation of where babies come from so I was having THAT conversation early too... just to clear up the bizarre story they were told!!
                  "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Just last month I picked up a bunch of puberty booksat library for DD to read. she is going on 10 and quite developed already. MY mom never had the talk with me and i have no clue what to say. Books were great.. even DS age 7 read em.

Comment

Thousands of years ago when I was young I remember when my sister started. We were visiting a cousin's place and fortunately she was a married lady. My sister thought she was bleeding to death and she had horrible cramps. She hadn't a clue what was happening. I guess my mom thought if she ignored it nothing would ever happen. Guess again.

My cousin sat my sis down and explained what was happening to her. It was fortunate for me cause I didn't start until a couple of years after my sister. The fright was gone from it.

Comment

Unfortunatly there is so much information and misinformation out there for kids. Surprising how much misinformation these days with the interntet but they still believe some of the old wives tales.
                        My niece the week before school got out had a fun time. Aparently a boy had brought a condom to school and shown it to the other boys. Soooo she got bombarded by both kids (boy and girl) when she got home about it. (Because her brother just had to share what happened at school.) So she had to explain what a condom was used for. Well it was a riot because after her nice explanation my greatnephew said "ok mom I understand that all but why was it flavored?" OMG I was dying laughing when she told me that. I could hardly breathe. She told him she would tell him when he got older. Needless to say when I spent the weeks after surgery there he asked me why it was flavored. I told him I would tell him in 6 years (he'd be 16 by then), he pestered so I told him Ok in 5 years I'll tell you. No way I am going to tell him at this age. The kid that brought it to school was sent home and suspended for 3 days.....wouldn't you just love being his mom and going to school to pick up your little one for that.

HUffle
                        God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

I completely agree with letting little girls be little girls, but 10 and 11 are definitely at that age that you need to start discussing this with them. We just had a sixth grader pregnant in our school, due to her being molested. Our girls need to know that we will tell them anything. And I never want to convince myself that my kids will always "come to me" if they have a question. And the little girl that I just talked to wouldn't talk to her mom. She was just to freaked out about it.

Hey, and i think that this is a wonderful place to have these kinds of discussions. Lots of opinions and ideas.

dragun

Comment

One of my favorite all time books is Are You there God it's me Margaret. My mom gave that to me right after I started. I will share that with DD as soon as she has seen the movie this year.
                            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Huffle View Post
                              Unfortunatly there is so much information and misinformation out there for kids. Surprising how much misinformation these days with the interntet but they still believe some of the old wives tales.
                              My niece the week before school got out had a fun time. Aparently a boy had brought a condom to school and shown it to the other boys. Soooo she got bombarded by both kids (boy and girl) when she got home about it. (Because her brother just had to share what happened at school.) So she had to explain what a condom was used for. Well it was a riot because after her nice explanation my greatnephew said "ok mom I understand that all but why was it flavored?" OMG I was dying laughing when she told me that. I could hardly breathe. She told him she would tell him when he got older. Needless to say when I spent the weeks after surgery there he asked me why it was flavored. I told him I would tell him in 6 years (he'd be 16 by then), he pestered so I told him Ok in 5 years I'll tell you. No way I am going to tell him at this age. The kid that brought it to school was sent home and suspended for 3 days.....wouldn't you just love being his mom and going to school to pick up your little one for that.

HUffle
                              You won't have to tell him when he's 15... he'll know by then. My youngest DD was 14 when a group of summer campers were sent home from camp for engaging in oral sex in the woods. I was stunned... 14??? I asked DD many questions... were the couples girlfriend and boyfriend for the summer? Nope... just all pals. Who received? Who gave? I pretty much knew the answer to this one... and was correct... girls gave, boys received. My boss' son told him of a similar "party" on the back of his school bus when he was 14!! He didn't even consider it sex!

I always answered questions, but I sure didn't wait for my DDs to ask... and they knew they could ask me anything.
                              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X