disposing of Meds ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disposing of Meds ???

I just opened up the thread about Cindy & teeth because I went threw that 6 weeks ago, so I go oxycodone, I am not a pill taker and really don't know but because of pain had to take it I only took one pill, now feeling not that much pain how do I dispose of it. I use to flush meds down the toilet but found out it gets into the water system. How do I get rid of this?

Re: disposing of Meds ???

Thats a good question that I've never thought about before. The trash seems safer than flushing it because it would end up at the landfill instead of your local water supply which comes back to your house.

Comment

I know liquid meds they say to pour into kitty litter and dispose of pills no clue. I usualy just open the bottle dump them in the garbage. Anyone know more about pills?

Huffle
      God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

In Canada, they say to take the old/unused medication back to the pharmacy to be disposed of safely. Just think if an animal got into your garbage, or worse, a child.
        Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Last year after my Dad died we had a lot of his meds left. I took them to the pharmacy and had them dispose of them. It's a shame because some of them were unopened and not past the expiration date.
          I asked the pharmacist if there wasn't some kind of program for donating meds like that to people who needed them and had a hard time financially or no insurance. Found out there's no program around here like that. It's almost criminal having to throw expensive meds out when they could be used by someone.

Comment

The base pharmacy told DH to wrap the bottles (lids) with heavy tape and throw in the trash.

Comment

I know several people who take the same meds/dosage etc as I do. If my Dr. changes mine I have given the extra to one of these people.No we aren't afraid of that when we know what it is and use the same pharmacy.....I once had a med my dr took me off of and a few years later put me back on it. I told her I still had it and she said it should be fine to go ahead and use it.shelf life is usually longer then what the pharm puts on the label.I had not heard about not flushing down the toilet, as I have done that as well as pouring them in the garbage....interesting thread.
              I organize chores into catagories.
              Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

When my dad died, the hospice nurse took the un-used pills and flushed them. but I can see where people on city water shouldn't.

She said that they couldn't re-use the pills, even if they weren't open and these were some strong, expensive narcotics. I questioned that , but she said that it was the law.

Comment

I wouldn't throw it away. I'd keep the script until it expired. You may need them later. That's just what I would do. Store them in a place that's safe. We locked my meds in a gun cabinet after I had brain surgery. I had some unrelated issues that caused me more pain than the surgery and was glad that I had the meds and didn't have to buy something that I already had.

Comment

That is what I did, I got vicodin after my last surgery and never even took one. But I still have it. SO 's brother is a pharmacist and he told me hang on to the meds. You may have a bad toothache , it's the weekend, can't get in to see the doc. etc. and having pain meds may come in handy.

Comment

Contact your local health department. They usually dispose of used syringes and medications. Also, ask your doctors office sometimes they take them.
                      The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

My father in law had cancer and when he died we had extra oxycotin (sp) and I was worried about what to do with it. Sure did not want any punks to get ahold of it. Will be watching this thread in case we have a problem like this in the future.

Comment

I dispose of used needles in a laundry detergent bottle taped shut with duct tape. If I needed to throw meds out, I would do the same.
                          A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

At Work We Flush Them Down The Toilet, But..... We Don't Get Narcotics, So I'm Not Sure How You Would Do It. Ask Your Pharmacist If They Have A Way To Do It. I Don't Know If They'll Do It With Narcotics, But We Will Take Bottles People Bring Us Of Medications They Don't Take Anymore, Or If The Patient Passed Away, We Black Out The Name On The Lable And Give It To Patients On The Same Medications That Can't Afford It. I Will Only Do This With Patients I Trust. There Are A Few Of Them That Are Dirty People, I Flush The Meds.

Comment

i duck tape the bottle up and throw it in the garbage

Comment

Working...
                              X