Waiting on that phone call :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting on that phone call :(

We had gone down to FLorida (Mothers day weekend) to see DH's 98yo Grandmother (who was doing GREAT! BTW). MIL said she was going FAST, so we RAN to see her and she...but she was fine (for a 98yo woman...she was better than FINE!!!). MIL has a way of seeing that glass as 7/8 empty (and I'm not kidding when I say that).

But now I fear MIL is not (how should I say this nicely...) exagerating. Grand-MIL's oxygen has dipped below 70%, she has been calling out for her siblings (all 8 of which are LONG gone). Yesterday she yelled for her mom and dad. MIL swares GMIL's kidneys are failing.

I am glad DH got to see his grandmother when she still had her wits about her, and DD will remember her that way as well (DS is too young, he wont remember any of this). She has lived a REALLY good life, but I know she has been in pain the last 10-15years.

Re: Waiting on that phone call

Awww.. that's so sad, sewcute. To live to 98 is a LONG life!! Your DH was lucky to have her for so long!!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I am so sorry, and your family will be in my prayers. I dont mean to upset you, but It's been my experience in hospice nursing that when a patient starts calling out to their dead parents or talking to them in their sleep, the end is usually near. My husband also "talked to" his dead mother all night long in his sleep the night before he died.

Comment

I'm Sorry Sew, My Thoughts And Prayers Are With You And Your Family. (((((sew))))

Comment

I know the end is near, and DH is trying so hard not to show it. She lived a good life, and considering we almost lost her 4years ago, she did get to see another GREAT-grandchild (my DS).
          When hurricane Charlie hit she was without water/electricity for 7days before MIL went to get her (LONG story there). By the time she drove the 2 1/2hrs from Orlando to West palm GM had passed out. MIL brought her to the hospital and they thought that was it...she had no muscle tone, no kidney fundtion, wouldnt eat, no desire to live. I told DH to tell GM we were expecting, I thought it would help. IT DID! the next day she was eating, wanted to sit up, call me to see how I was feeling, etc... turns out God works in strange ways because we found out 2weeks later I really WAS pregnant (with now DS 3years old).

This time is it...I know that. I am cleaning the house because I expect I am the one to host the after-memorial thing. GM has a polt here in NY, so all the family will migrate here.

Comment

DH just caled to say that they took GM down to lunch to feed her, and she seemed ok. She had to go to the bathroom during lunch, so one of the aide went to take her and she flipped out...screaming, yelling, cursing (she doesnt curse).

DH's Brother (in Chicago) is on his way to Floridanow...should be landing around 5. He is better with getting the information. We'll know more later tonight.

I'm just so glad DD got to see great grandma a few weeks ago, when she was still with it.

Comment

I Noticed That When Dealing With People When Their Minds Start To Go, Usually The Ones Who Don't Cuss, Or Say Anything Bad, Get Really Potty Mouthed. And The Ones Who Cuss And Mean Mouthed, Get Real Nice.

Tell Him Not To Take Anything She Says Personally, She Doesn't Really Know What She's Saying.

Comment

Sad part of going, I'm sure.

DH is here, home, with me/the kids. His mother has been calling to update from Florida. BIL is on his way to Florida, because we cant afford to go there again (we were just there in May). BIL is not married...no kids

Comment

The hospice nurses are calling it terminal restlessness...the person gets agitated before her time is up. They said it could last a day, or a week. She is hanging on for something...just not sure what.

I sent DH out golfingntoday...nothing he can do here while GGM is miles away. Thought it would take his mind of things.

Comment

I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but so glad you all got to see her recently when she was still herself. ((((SewCute))))
                    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Working...
                    X