Restaraunts in San Antonio, TX?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restaraunts in San Antonio, TX?????

No tourist traps...I am looking forward to some great BBQ/TexMEX. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Bumping for our Texas members

Comment

Well, SA has tons of great restaurants. The best TEX-MeX food is in those out of the way little run down looking restaurants. Same with the BBQ. SA is a very big city, it all depends what part of town you will be in?? I would imagine, that you probably will be staying in the downtown area, around the riverwalk / Alamo ??? Most of those restaurants are tourist traps, overpriced for sure.
      Casa Rio & Mi Tierra are downtown and cater to tourist. Mi Tierra is open 24 hours and they have a Mariachi band playing. Food is OK, nothing special.
      Rudy's BBQ restaurant has several locations across town. The restaurant was founded by Phil Romano, who also founded Macaroni Grill ( italian) and Fudruckers Hamburger place. It's good BBQ, we get it quite often and bring it home. And they give a discount to Military people. But again, it all depends what part of town you are in.

Comment

Thanks SABINE...I should have said San Antonio and surrounding areas. We are passing through and are not sure where we will stay. My husband and I avoid staying in huge cities if we can...love the smaller ones. I am with you, the best food is in out of the way places, small...a hole in the wall as I say. What out of the way places do you suggest within 20-30 miles...If they are dumps...give em to me! Thanks!!!!!

Comment

There are small towns arounds SA. In the Hill country , Fredrcksburg, Austin, Blanco,Kerrville,small towns, within driving distance of SA, within 60 miles.
          Now let me take this back, Austin is the State Capitol, so no small town. But lots of things to do and see. google SAn antonio / Hill country , and I think there is a lot of stuff that would be of interest to you.

Comment

SABINE...Do you have any names of some of the out of the way... good, little restaraunts in the towns you mentioned?

Comment

Gruene, Texas is a totally cool little town. Touristy but very quaint and historic. We loved stopping there for a few hours as we were coming home from a trip to Fort Worth.
              A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

There is a restaurant named " Gristmill" in Gruene , good food. There also is an mexican restaurant there, but I don't know the name. I have eaten several times at the Gristmill. There are little artsy craft stores to go into and a wine store where you can test wine There is a place called Welfare Cafe, that is in the Boerne area, that is supposed to be good. A restaurant called PoPo's in the Comfort area, all of Interstate 10. Kerrville and Fredericksburg are also off I-10 and have tons of restaurants. I don't remember any names.

Comment

Check This Out

Have you ever visited the forums at Roadfood.com? Most of the suggestions there tend to be more hole in the wall places than fancy fare. Here's a link:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=20

There was a thread running about San Antonio just this morning! Have a great time, wherever you end up!

Comment

The Peach Tree in Fredricksburg, TX is fantastic. They have two great cookbooks too! As someone else mentioned, The Gristmill in Gruene is good too .... casual, outdoor kinda atmosphere.There's also a great tex-mex restaurant in San Antionio ... the name escapes me, maybe Sabine knows, it's on Vance Jackson. Boudro's on the riverwalk in San Antonio is also good. I think they even had a www. Enjoy your trip.

Comment

Margaritas and the other place in the Mercado are both pretty good. I can't think of the name of the other place but its a bakery/restaurant, but it is also open 24/7.

Comment

I do agree with the others about Gruene. Can't really help much with the restaraunts but want to say that the hill country area is just aobut the most beautiful area of Tx. This will be our first yr 6 or 7 to not go.
                        ""Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.""

Comment

BJinTexas, are you talking about La Fonda ?? Stephanie, the name of the other restaurant is Mi Tierra, they are both owned by the same family. Another locally owned Mexican restaurant is Los Barrios, it's downtown and they now have a second location called " Hacienda de los Barrios" it's out on Loop 1604 and Redland Rd. Very good mexican food and margaritas

Comment

Thanks so much! I will check out Gruene, TX...and roadfoods.com

Comment

Working...
                            X