Question about flooring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about flooring

I have carpet down now but am thinking about changing to laminate in my living room and hall. Does anyone have laminate and how do you like it .

Re: Question about flooring

We put in an oak laminate in foyer, kitchen, dining room and eat-in kitchen area. Its been 2.5yrs and we love it so far. Extremely easy to care for. We bought the very thick, good stuff, I cant recall name now but it was recommended by Consumer Reports. Its the same type flooring used for basketball courts. Still looks as new as the day we had it installed. Good stuff. We got it instead of the real wood flooring since its cheaper, low maintenance and withstands the wear of a kitchen area so well. We've had ice cubes dropped and left to melt, find the puddle later and no damage to the floor. I've also spilled a pitcher of water before and no damage, and I dropped a pot of cold water once, again no damage. I've had cans fall from the pantry shelves, no dents or damage. I've dropped utensils and pans before and no dents or damage. Pretty hardy stuff.

Comment

We have 'cheap' laminate in our basement. We went with 3//4 inch thick hardwood on the main floor and second floor. The cheap stuff in the basement cost us about $1 a square foot. The hardwood cost us (yes we got a really good deal because of the amount we bought) about $3.40 a square foot. We installed both ourselves. The laminate is a click together system which is not always as easy as it sounds. It also needed underlay, and cutting the pieces to fit around corners was quite difficult and definitely needed the use of breathing masks (threw up a lot of nasty dust) as well as an electric saw. The hardwood was surprisingly easy to install. We had to rent a staple gun and it still needed some cutting, but the fact that we were measuring and cutting 4 inch boards as compared to 8-10 inch boards for the laminate made quite a difference.

Having said all that, If you decide to go with laminate, do not go cheap. It really isn't worth it. The cheap stuff chips on the edges and just does not wear well. It is definitely a weekend project but be sure to do your research--like sub-flooring, matching the height of other flooring that it will be touching, high traffic areas, warranty, whether it is going over concrete or other flooring....just do your research.
      Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

We had laminate in the last place we lived in and LOVED it. We couldn't hurt that stuff... and we heated w/ a wood stove so you can imagine the abuse it took! I'm counting the PENNIES till we can rip up the carpet here and install laminate.
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I have laminate in every room except the bedrooms and I love it! I cant tell you how many times I have dropped huge cans of food out of my cabinets onto my laminate floor in the kitchen, and theres never been a scratch, dent or chip. Also, I got a Shark steam vac for Mothers Day, and when I use it on my laminate floors, they shine like theyve just been waxed! So easy to take care of!

Comment

I've been considering laminate to replace our worn carpeting but I'm concerned about keeping it clean. To me, it's so easy to run a vacuum over carpet and pick up debris. With laminate or wood flooring can I still do that? Or do I have to sweep first and then mop or steam the floors to get the dust off? It seems like too many steps.

Comment

I have laminate flooring in my kitchen, The product is called Quick Step, made by Mohawk. I love it. It is so easy to clean, I have a cordless swivel sweeper, just a quick vacuum and it is done. I have a steam mop but have not used it on that. I use a product called Poly Floor Care, just a light spray and used the buffing pad that comes with it and in 5 minutes I am done cleaning my kitchen floor.

I do use my Shark Steam Mop on the vinyl flooring in laundry room and bathroom. Makes that shine like new.

Comment

Alidoremi, yes, I have to vacuum or sweep the laminate floors, or use the Swifter duster sometimes. But when they do need to be mopped, what makes it so much easier for me is the steam mop - no buckets of water, no waiting for the floors to dry, no wringing. With the steam vac, I just pour in a cup of water, give it 30 seconds to heat up, and I can have every floor in the house mopped within 10 minutes.

Comment

I love my laminate!!! It's not too cold during winter. We've been remodeling, one room at a time. We put tile in the kitchen/dining room. It's ok, but we stupidly put a light grout in and it's really hard to keep clean with the dog, and DH's dirty workboots and the wonderful Texas red dirt!. We have laminate in the living room hall and the bedroom we've done. Looks sooooooo much nicer and much easier to keep clean. We're going to put laminate in the last 2 bedrooms when we do them. We were about to do the other extra one, then DD moved back in, postponed that one! lol

Edited to add: I just sweep, run a mop over it and when it's dry, use a spray on it with the dust mop that keeps it shiny and smells good.

Comment

Thanks for all the good answers. Sounds like laminate is the way to go.

Comment

Nu, I completely agree with you. DH installed beautiful reddish/clay colored tile in dining room and he's a big fan of thick grout lines....well he isn't the one cleaning up now is he and he refuses to take off his shoes when he enters the house. When we moved in here was carpet in livingroom and dining room conjoined and we got rid of 1/2 of it. The previous owners obviously had no idea how to choose and take care of tile and had cream colored tile with matching grout. IN THE FLIPPING KITCHEN! Who knows if they sealed it. It wsa black in every high traffic area. Ugh. So hopefully I can convinve DH to rip that out and go with laminate. In our old house we fixed it up a whole bunch and put in the cheap laminate. I know exactly where Ginger is coming from. Don't go with cheap stuff unless you aren't going to be there long and don't ever drop anything. It did scratch and chip. We are debating what to put in our cottage that has turned into a complete remodel. We were just going to redo kitchen and rooms down stairs. Yikes. It'll be great, though. I am really am a fan of laminate, though. If you get it installed it's not really cheap. You can get beautiful shades. My grandparents did this at their lake house up north. Very pretty, very expensive. Almost as much as real wood.
                      www.thenewmommiezblend.blogspot.com

Comment

Go with the laminate flooring! BUT....IF you can afford it, have it installed, instead of "doing it yourself"..it is NOT easy to install......as for the "no special tools required"...Uh, without a rubber mallet and a "tapping bar"...you will have a MESS on your hands! We bought a "fixer upper" back in October...( however the KITCHEN was already wonderful..which was the deciding feature ) HORRIBLE carpet in the living room....and despite being amatuers...it looks pretty good! When we can afford it though, the OTHER rooms will look better.....now that we know some of the "secrets"!!

Comment

Working...
                        X