I've had it... I'm getting a kitty!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had it... I'm getting a kitty!!!

I can do bugs... snakes... spiders... ANYTHING but mice and rats!! We live in the woods and recently, we've caught 2 BIG mice in a trap Babe put in a cabinet that I NEVER, EVER open.

This morning, there was 1/3 of a big sweet potato next to the tiny crevice where mice have come and gone in the past... and a pile of sweet potato shavings in the potato bin.

I'm DONE... after work today I'm battening down the hatches w/ regard to ANY food that's normally kept out... and when DD comes to visit in a few days... we're gonna go to the shelter and adopt a kitty.

If the presence of a kitty deters mice from coming in, I'll be thrilled. If the kitty catches one and brings it to me for show and tell... I'll probably have to move!!!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Re: I've had it... I'm getting a kitty!!!

Yay - Get 2 - they'll keep each other company. Better yet, get an adult bonded pair - they'll keep each other company plus they are harder to adopt out so everyone wins - you / the shelter / the kitties. Well I guess not everyone wins - the mice will lose.

Comment

Luvs, I don't know if you have ever had cats before, but they are awesome. Don't forget to pay the extra money and get the self cleaning kitty litter box. We love ours so much and it is worth every single penny we paid for it.
      Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good luck with your mice. I'm a kitty lover, lucky enough never to have had mice, so I dont know if my kitties would chase and catch them or not. Probably would. But if I did have mice and they caught them and killed them, it would just freak me out to find a dead mouse in my house and know that they had caught it and played with it and maybe chewed on it! Ewwww!

Comment

The Females are the hunters. Sorry to hear about the Rat. Best wishes for fast results!
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I don't have a self-cleaning litterbox but I thoroughly recommend getting flushable litter. There are so many kinds available.

Comment

Rube, I've never seen flushable litter here! Do you just flush what you scoop out, or can you flush the entire litter box full when you change the litter? Whats it made of?

Comment

Ruby, I have never heard of flushable kitty litter?? What brand is it? DH would be thrilled I am sure!
                Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TexAnn View Post
                  The Females are the hunters. Sorry to hear about the Rat. Best wishes for fast results!
                  IT WASN'T A RAT!!!!!!! THERE ARE NO RATS IN HERE!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY... I'D HAVE TO MOVE!!!!!!!

I've had kitties before, but I'm more of a doggie person. Peaches is almost 2... and I'm sure she'll be good w/ a kitten... dunno how an adult cat will react to her...

We have a doggie door for Peach... maybe we can litter train AND train a kitty to use the doggie door.

Comment

I am a firm believer in 'indoor only' cats. I think they hunt better. Especially if you live in the bush. If the cat is a hunter and is going outside, be prepared for all sorts of presents--including birds, snakes, and yes, mice. And ticks and fleas, and maybe even finding the remains of the cat outside because something bigger has hunted it.

I have male cats and they are great hunters --inside.

We also invested in the traps that are like huge clothespins. You never have to touch the 'victim' to dispose of it.
                    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Be prepared for all the cute but annoying trouble kitties can get into! LOL - I just found out my new kitten has been playing in my bathroom. The brand new roll of toilet paper is streamed between 3 rooms now, she turned over the Q-tip dispenser and has them strown all over the bathroom floor, and she knocked over my box of dusting power - oooh what a mess! She is mostly black, now has white powder all over her face, laying on her back in a mess of toilet paper and holding a Q-tip in her front paws and kicking at it with her back ones. Its so comical I cant even be mad at her!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                        I am a firm believer in 'indoor only' cats. I think they hunt better. Especially if you live in the bush. If the cat is a hunter and is going outside, be prepared for all sorts of presents--including birds, snakes, and yes, mice. And ticks and fleas, and maybe even finding the remains of the cat outside because something bigger has hunted it.

I have male cats and they are great hunters --inside.

We also invested in the traps that are like huge clothespins. You never have to touch the 'victim' to dispose of it.
                        That's a really good point, Ginger. We can't keep the ticks off of Peaches even w/ Frontline and she's a short-haired doggie. I don't relish picking ticks out of kitty fur.

I was leaning toward females...

Comment

I use one that is corn based and it smells wonderful. It clumps beautifully and then I just flush the little stinkers down the toilet. I've also used Swheat which is a wheat based one. There is another kind that is pine - Feline Pine

Petco has one I haven't tried:

http://www.petco.com/product/2717/Premium-Choice-Flushable-Scoopable-Cat-Litter.aspx

Here's a website that shows a few of them

http://www.westcoastpetsupply.com/1/environmentally-friendly-cat-litter/

Comment

If you have a septic tank, I don't think I'd use flushable kitty litter unless you want to have it pumped out more often, which can get expensive.
                            Don't over feed the cats you want to catch mice. Many times, if they aren't hungry, they'll just look at a mouse.

Comment

Well, I have to admit, that as my boys get older, they tend to 'play' rather than 'kill'. But I've become pretty good at dropping a bowl over the little critters, sliding a piece of cardboard underneath and then sending them to a watery grave.

Luvs, if you can find where the mice are coming in, and if it is safe (as in Peaches cannot reach it) get some warfarin and poison the little buggers. I also stuffed steel wool in the holes where the kitchen pipes come up from the basement. They can't chew thru steel wool.
                              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Working...
                              X