Outside animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside animals

Do you bring them inside when its really hot outside? The older my Chesapeake Bay Retriever gets, the more stubborn she gets! She used to be a totally inside dog. Now she insists on staying outside in the fenced-in yard all the time and pitches a fit if I try to make her come inside, unless its thundering. Then she hauls butt into the house!! It's going to be over 100 degrees here again today and I really worry about her out there. She has water and theres shade under the deck, but I know she would be so much more comfortable here in the air-conditioning. When I go out to catch her and force her to come in, she thinks its a game and runs away from me!

Re: Outside animals

All my dogs were outside dogs, year around, and it gets hot here in SA. They would come in if it was below freezing or a thunderstorm, fireworks etc. Otherwise they were outside. Now I always had covered porches/ patios with outdoor ceiling fans, lots of trees, always had at least two buckets of cold water. They did fine, even when they were older.

Comment

Growing up, all our dogs and cats were outside animals... and we lived in NJ where there can be cold winters! My brother and sister were so allergic, there was no way we could have them inside. We had a barn and they did fine.

Peaches sits outside in the hottest weather in the grass under a tree... I figure if she's hydrated and wants to lie out there... it's fine!
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

my two goldens are outside dogs.

they have a covered area they will get under when it's hot, but nt when it's raining.

in the summer time we hose them down often, leave the garage open for them, we'll hose it down too, cools them alot. we dump ice in their water dish. they are fine out side.

in the colder months, we leave blankets in the garage and they'll lay on them, sometimes. fireworks and hurricanes we lock them in the garage. they will not come in side, we've tried but they won't come in.
        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Our Lab/golden Retriever Mix Always Prefered The Outside, But As He Got Older, He Wanted To Be Inside In The Heat And Cold. But This Year Even When It's Hot/hot, He Wants Outside. He's 15 Yrs Old. Real Arthritic, Maybe The Heat Makes His Joints Feel Better.

Comment

My cat is an outside cat ever since we had the house redone. The workers scared him to death and if I bring him in he runs to the door and meows until I let him out. Our two dogs are outside. We have two dog houses, shade and lots of water. They would love to be inside dogs but they are Australin shepards(sp?) and NOT!

Comment

I finally got her inside by making a baloney-trail to the back door. Shes really mad at me for it, but I couldnt help but worry. Kept thinking what a disaster it would be if she accidently turned over her water and was out there in this heat without it. Shes old and arthritic now, I know the heat may feel good on her old bones. But at her age I worry about her having a heat-stroke.

Comment

My Lab is a total indoor dog. She turned 5 last week and has never slept outside her whole life. Now if I slept outside or stayed outside all day, she would too. She never leaves my side. Just like now, she's right here by my feet at my desk.

Comment

bring my 4 rabbits in..when it's above a hundred..had them inside my kitchen..i put up the child's gate and boy did they make a mess..layed paper down..at least thier potty trained..although they did miss a few times...

Comment

At least your giving your animals a choice. I have let Kitties inside my house in the winter when it was freezing, because whoever the owners were, failed to do so. I had one kitty come to my door crying one winter and his little feets were bleeding.

Comment

Working...
                    X