Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you got an extra check in the mail....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you got an extra check in the mail....

would you cash it? My daycare food program sends me a monthly check based on the number of meals and snacks I serve. I got my June check yesterday, then another one today! The second is not a duplicate, its has a different number and different date. If I cash it, do you think it will come back to bite me in the butt?
    Last edited by tastebud; 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM.

Re: If you got an extra check in the mail....

Good question... You could wait a month or 2 to see if they caught their mistake.. But all in all, honesty is the best policy.. I believe in Karma..

Comment

If It's A Government Program, They'll Eventually Find It, May Be 10 Yrs From Now, But They'll Want Their Money Back. I'd Be Reallllllllll Tempted To Keep It, But I'm Afraid I'd Bit You In The Butt!!!

Of Course I Watch Movies On The Internet Also! Lol

Comment

I would imagine that they will find out that you closed your business and want their money back. I would give it back.

Comment

Didn't you run your daycare part of the month of July? If you did I bet that is what the second check is for. Just call them and ask. They will either tell you to keep it or send it back
          Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

even if you called them and sent it back, they wouldn't know what to do with it. They might wait for years to catch and call you and want it back with interest.

Comment

It will come back and bite you. Call them and get an explanation.

Comment

I agree with Cindy. Just call and find out if it was a mistake on their part. If it was, send it back.
                Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubelishous View Post
                  It will come back and bite you. Call them and get an explanation.
                  and see if you can get them to put it in writing too (sorry, that was funny, can't stop laughing at that comment.) That will help your case.

Comment

Yep, what Cat said, and if you call, and they tell you its ok, make sure to get their name and info, just in case.

My oldest brother was Head of Labor Relations for Ford Motor back in the 70's, and he was getting these checks, afew, not big ones either, and he failed to asked what they were for and come to find out, some other guy was doing something shady and "sharing". My brother got canned and so did a few others.

Comment

It's the government we are talking about here. Even if it is their mistake you pay for it. So call them and ask them why they sent it and if it is ok to cash. Get the persons name and info on her so when they do come back yu can say, NO, I talked to so and so and they said this". Protect yourself very carefully. Even have them send something in writing to help protect yourself.

Debbie
                      Never regret something because at one point it was exactly what you wanted!

Comment

I would call. If its a government check and you cash it and they come back 10 years later to claim that money they would probably tack on interest to it.
                        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Ok, I called. Sounded like I wasn't the only one who got an extra check. They said to mail it back, so its in the mailbox. Darn.

Comment

tastebud, did you find anything out yet??
                            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X