Moving boxes? Grocery store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving boxes? Grocery store?

DD is moving out so we need boxes, I thought of grocery stores but don't know if they still give you boxes. The only other idea I have, I got rubbermaid storage boxes in the garage with decorations & stuff in them. Thought I may empty them out pack her stuff & bring them back home & repack my decorations in them. In a way, it is double work. Anyone have any ideas of where to get boxe for free?

Re: Moving boxes? Grocery store?

Go to the liquor store... their boxes are smaller and can't be filled so full that they're too heavy!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

both of my daughters moved the first of June, and I got the boxes from my office that our copy paper comes in. They were great because they're not real big, and they have lids.

Comment

I love the boxes paper comes in. They are a perfect size. Call a photocopy place in your town and ask them to set some aside for you.

Comment

Costco has millions of heavy duty boxes. I don't know if they let people have them though. Even if they don't, you always see lots of them in the parking lot.

Comment

Hay, I was thinking about them too. I think I will try the liquior store & off to Costco since they are so close.

Comment

I usually have to hit up all those places. Takes soo many car loads, even with most of them flattened.

I do ask for papaer bags at the grocery for weeks beforehand. They are great for dishes.
              www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

I used to work at Toys R Us, and we were always giving boxes away for free. You might want to call them to ask if they could save some for you.
                www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

Ask the produce manager at your local store. Apple and orange boxes are great. The grocery department usually crushes their boxes as they are emptied because the shelves are usually restocked at night, but the produce people usually have a few around, and sometimes you can make arrangements to come back the next day to pick up more.
                  Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Buy some packing paper from your local U-haul place. It is basically just unprinted newsprint paper but it is great for wrapping glass. Plus because it is unprinted you don't have to wash everything when you unpack as there is no newsprint all over your dishes.

Comment

Try freecycle.com, or Craig's list...Sometimes they have postings of moving boxes that are ready to be picked up...you may also want to post your 'wish' list.

Comment

Costco sells a moving box 'kit' with several different size boxes. I think it's pretty reasonable (like $40) and should hold enough stuff for a 500 sq ft apartment. You can check them out online:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=moving%20boxes&N=0&Ntt=moving%20boxes&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

With gas prices the way they are I wouldn't want to go around hunting for boxes. Plus, those grocery store boxes often come with little critters living inside (if you know what I mean.... cockroaches).

Comment

go to the customer service desk at your frys and talk to them. our store will leave notes for the stockers on the time clock to save boxes for so and so. also our produce dept has a spot that they put boxes and they just leave them there during the day in case someone wants them.
                          http://weatherpixie.com/index.php?&h...=AZ&place=KFFZ

i didnt loose it! ...........i sold it on ebay!

Comment

Go to the Meat Dept of your Grocery store and ask them to save you the Perdue Chicken boxes, they're strong and have holes for handles, easier to pick up, Go to the Produce Dept and ask them the same thing,ask for Tomato boxes, same idea they have "handles too. Go to staples and ask for the boxes that the computer paper comes in. When you ask for the boxes make sure that you tell them that you'll be there to pick them up at what ever time they want you to be there. A lot of time they don't like to save the boxes for people because they take up room and they compact them all at once. If you promise them that you will be there anytime that they say they'll probably do it for you. If not go to the curtesey counter and ask the Mgr. HE might tell them to do it. Also try liquor stores. Ask what day they get a delivery and tell them you'll be there to pick them up at what ever time. Also try Free Cycle. You can post a wanted ad. They usually have them every so often.

Comment

All great ideas! If you have a large food production plant in your area, this is another source of boxes. Nuts, flavorings, spices - all ship bulk to the plant. And as a bonus boxes that are identical stack perfectly, thus saving valuable moving space. I love the paper boxes, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X