Are your dogs finnicky eaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your dogs finnicky eaters?

For years my dogs would only eat dry lamb&rice food. The oldest dog all of a sudden wouldnt touch it anymore and she would go for days without eating if thats all I offered her. So I started buying canned food, and she did eat that for a while. Now she is leaving that untouched too until it gets all funky-looking and I end up throwing it away. I only give my dogs table-scraps on rare occasions and they will both scarf those up! But I cant seem to find any dog food that they like enough to eat with any regularity. I've tried dry food, wet dry food (moistened Gravy Train), the burger-types, canned food. Seems I throw away more because it gets funky-looking before they will eat it. One of my co-workers said to just give them some dry dog food and they will eat it when they get hungry, even if I have to leave it down for days until they get used to the idea that that's all theyre getting. What do you think?

Re: Are your dogs finnicky eaters?

Re you kidding?? LOL! I have LAB, she's not picky at all... I feed her dry Kirkland Costco brand with a few tablespoons of wet Costco canned dog food on top.. My vet years ago said to only feed her Science Diet, and that was too expensive. Then he said last year, that the Costco brand was just fine. She also loves cooked brussel sprouts, broccoli, tomatoes, almost all veggies except green beans.

Comment

Well, one of mine is a beagle. Fortunately, or unfortunately, beagles will eat literally ANYTHING.

The other one from early on periodically (at least every 9-10 days) will go at least 2 days without eating a thing; he's 7, and it hasn't seemed to do him any harm. I've no clue why he does that. It drives me nuts! Given his druthers, he would prefer to nibble all day, but with a beagle in the house, I just cannot leave food down all the time.

I've always fed mine nothing but Purina One; I now buy the weight maintenance formula and should probably switch to senior formula as the beagle is now 12. They almost never get 'people' food - I can probably count on one hand how often I give them even the tiniest tidbit in the course of a year.

Comment

My Golden will eat ANYTHING. His Vet can attest to that! Hes had 2 surgeries to remove stupid stuff from his intestines...pine cones, corn cobs, lid off the BBQ sauce.

Comment

I give my shelties the green bag Iams, except for the pup and he gets Iams puppy food. My 14 year old sheltie, the queen dog around here, gets just a bit of dry Iams, then part of a can Iams, along with a doggie aspirin for her arthritis and I started her on about a teaspoon of Missing Link Plus, it is a dry additive. She has perked up since starting her on that.

Comment

I have an extremely picky dog. Charley, my 120lb Golden will not eat treats or bisquits of any kind. Once in a while he'll take a table scrap and his dog food must be small bits. He makes me crazy.

Comment

Our Molly has been on Pedigree all her life. I just switched to the senior formula because she is almost 8.

But our DD raw-feeds. It is amazing to watch this little pup tear into a raw chicken leg. 10 minutes later it is GONE--bone and all. Pup is doing absulutely great, coat is beautiful, no puppy breath at all, and she certainly is NOT a finicky eater!
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                Our Molly has been on Pedigree all her life. I just switched to the senior formula because she is almost 8.

But our DD raw-feeds. It is amazing to watch this little pup tear into a raw chicken leg. 10 minutes later it is GONE--bone and all. Pup is doing absulutely great, coat is beautiful, no puppy breath at all, and she certainly is NOT a finicky eater!
                Hmmm. I'm not sure the chicken bones are such a good idea. My dog loves fresh vegetables.

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                But Love and I had the wit to win:
                We drew a circle that took him in.
                -Edwin Markham

Comment

If mine was finicky, he would starve to death. I just put dried food out and he eats it..or not. It's his choice if he wants to go hungry.

Comment

Dickens, it is COOKED bones that are the problem. Raw are fine. After all, Mother nature has been feeding wild animals raw meat for millennia and dogs are just domesticated wild animals.

Comment

Our Lucy was difficult to feed after Kelly died. The one thing she happily ate was chicken meat that we hand fed to her. She also ate bacon. Expensive, yes but it got her eating again. Hope this helps.
                      I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                        Dickens, it is COOKED bones that are the problem. Raw are fine. After all, Mother nature has been feeding wild animals raw meat for millennia and dogs are just domesticated wild animals.
                        I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                        Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                        But Love and I had the wit to win:
                        We drew a circle that took him in.
                        -Edwin Markham

Comment

Chicken Bones were always a source of conflict between my country boy Dad and city girl Mom.

My Dad said he always fed his dog raw chicken bones and they were fine. He had a well mannered perfect 'mutt' dog. My Mom however would make rice and cooked chicken for her small little dog that she hand fed and talked for it in her 'doggie' voice.
                          Our Jack Russell gets Dry Science Diet, raw chicken bones when we have 'em and Costco brand treats.

Comment

When we had our beagle, he ate his own poop. Vet said that's common with hunting dogs. So he could eat anything.

Comment

I am finding this whole raw feeding thing quite facinating. According to the breeder that our daughter dealt with, Australian Shepherds in particular, are not able to digest kibble, especially ones with high corn or grain content.

My DD also gets 'organ meat' from a butcher (it doesn't even have to be particularly fresh) and adds some to the pup's diet every few days. There is a product called 'Urban Wolf' (you can probably Google it) that is pre-packaged and frozen raw food meals for dogs.

Oh, and besides having no puppy breath, the pup's teeth are super clean, and her 'poopies' are much smaller and don't stink.

Comment

Working...
                              X