DD and her BF bought a Pug puppy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD and her BF bought a Pug puppy...

They've had him for about 2 1/2 months and share "custody". Hes at my house more often than not though. Hes about 5 mos old now and not fully potty trained. Hes done his business on DS's comforter 3 times, let alone the little "doodles" I find behind my couches.
    The last straw was when he peed on DH's pillow! I told DD to take him to the BF's house and don't bring him back until he is trained to do his business outside! BF lives with his parents in a dump anyway!
    I don't know anything about Pugs. I've had Golden Retrievers for the past 30 yrs. and they were trained by 3-4 mos old. Are Pugs harder to potty train? Wheres Angie? I need her Pug expertise.

Re: DD and her BF bought a Pug puppy...

I don't think it's the trainee as much as the consistency of the trainer(s). If the pup is being moved around a lot, it probably isn't getting the same commands or the same level of awareness from all the people looking after it.

We are looking after DD's 4 1/2 month old Aussie for a week. She is pretty good but has a different set of key words than our Molly, and also has a different 'attitude' when she needs to go out. I am finding that I have to be super vigilant. She is a sweet dog but I fear she will have worn our Molly to a frazzle by the end of the week. Just imagine a 6 year old constantly tagging along after her 14 year old cousin.....
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I understand not wanting somebody else's responsibility. I agree with Ginger's comments on consistency and everyone needing to use the same command words. A 5-month old pug needs to be crated when not completely supervised until he is totally housebroken. This means keeping the puppy on a leash with you while indoors or in a play pen next to you while you work about the house. For housebreaking, the puppy needs to be taken to the same spot every two hours and told to potty. If he doesn't potty, he goes back to the crate for half an hour, then taken out to potty again. If he doesn't potty, repeat until he does. This way he understands where to potty and that he is expected to potty or at least try. When he does potty, then reward him with lots of verbal praise, then give him play time (with you). If he doesn't potty outdoors, the minute you turn your head he will do it indoors, so the crate training is essential. Take the puppy to the accidents when they are discovered and show him (don't shove him into it) and scold, then take to the potty spot and tell him it's his spot to do his business. Pugs are smart but stubborn, and they are also the best companion and house dog I've ever had. Very loving and bond deeply. Love my pug! (see us on my profile.)

Comment

We must see pictures!
        MaryJo is right about consistency (and about pugs being stubborn!).
        Puppies need structure. A regular routine. When Conway was a baby, he went out every couple of hours. When he did his business he got major praise and smooches. I think he only ever had one poop accident in the house.
        He will, however, when he gets majorly pissed about something, march into the kitchen and lift his leg on the wrought iron leg of one of the kitchen table chairs. He hasn't done that for a while, so I'm either getting to be a better mom or he's mellowing out in his old age. LOL
        They are very demanding though and a big responsibility. Doesn't sound like your daughter or her BF are ready for pug parenthood.

Comment

i never had to train a puppy..we adopted our dogs when the were over a year old..so i didn't have to go thru the agony of training..don't you have to put puppies in a crate at night..i agree with the commands...

Comment

My DD got a pug as a puppy and still two years later the pug pretty much goes potty wherever and whenever it pleases. She has a doggy door for the dogs and the others all go outside to do their business, and the pug is right along with them, and will save it until she is back inside. DD has had many, many dogs (right now she has 7) and the pug has been the most resistant to potty training. She's had a lot more patience with it than I would have. I hate cleaning up dog mess.

Comment

Someone Mentioned Commands. Once I Was Watching My Friends Dog She Barked To Go Out. I Let Her Out And Then She Just Stood There Looking At Me. My Friend Forgot To Mention That Once I Let Her Out You Had To Say "do Your Business" So You Might Want To Gat All Parties Involved With The Training Together So That The Dog Has The Same Commands When It Comes To Going Outside To Do His Business.
              SHEL

Comment

You are absolutely right about the 'commands' Shel. We always laughed because we thought we had the only pup around that would pee on command. But DD's will too. Just the key words are different.
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Working...
                X