shelf life of choppd onion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shelf life of choppd onion?

I am trying to do some prep as early as possible.

Wondering how long I can store chopped onion in a plastic container. Will it get watery? Will the flavor be tooo strong?

Tried doing google search, couldn't find anything that answered my ??

Also tried to search here and found EVERYTHING with the word onion in it.

Can you imagine trying to go through THAT list!

Re: shelf life of choppd onion?

The grocery store down the street sells various already-chopped veggies in plastic containers, and the onions are marked "sell by" one week. But I'm not sure if they added a preservative or not.

Comment

I've used chopped onions that were a week old with no problem. If it's going into a cooked dish I would chop and freeze them until you use them.
      The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

You will know when you should not use them anymore. They tend to discolor and you just know.
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Worked at a restaurant-line the bottom of the container with paper towels to absorb the onion juice -we had then last for up to a week-if you changed the paper every day. Good Luck

Wondering how long I can store chopped onion in a plastic container. Will it get watery? Will the flavor be tooo strong?

Comment

I Keep Chopped Onion In A Ziplock Baggie In The Freezer, Just Have To Break Off The Amount I Want To Use. I Wouldn't Freeze It If Using It Raw In A Salad, But If Cooking With It. It Works Great. Do It With Celery And Bell Pepper Also.

Comment

thanks for the quick responses

I pretty much need them for Friday and Saturday afternoon.

Thanks again

Comment

If it's for sprinkling on top of something, I'd do it no more than 2 days in advance. If it's gonna be cooked, it could be a little longer.

Note...if you just put them in a plastic bag and put in the frig., the onion smell will smell up your frig. and freezer, and anything else you have in there may absorb the orders. Make sure you wrap everything really well and put a couple of boxes of baking soda in frig. and freezer.

Comment

I'd suggest wrapping them in alum foil to keep in your refrigerator. I keep celery and bell peppers in foil with all ends well sealed. The last bell peppers I got on sale and wrapped each individually and three weeks later the last one was firm and not sign of spoilage.

Ann

Comment

Working...
                  X