So I have diabetes 2, and it is so confusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I have diabetes 2, and it is so confusing

to know what you can eat, on glucophage (meformin) now, twice a day, and yet, the numbers this morning are higher that before, so if any of ya'll are on this and having to deal with this, would really really like some input as to what you eat, how you handle it, any symptoms I should watch for, this is really making me depressed...and already what I have read is that also depression and stress increase the cortisol which hinders your body from being able to function correctly. thanks for any help and input you can give me.

Re: So I have diabetes 2, and it is so confusing

Has your doctor scheduled you for classes? If not check with his office to see if any are available through your local hospital. When DH had blood work in the hospital in a very small area I saw on their bullitin board they had free classes.

DH's sister told him yesterday she is border line diabetic. She is very tall and thin as a rail. Never did much cooking for herself but now lives in an assisted living place. I think the whole world is. This seems to be the lasted medical thing.

If you exercise that will get your blood counts down as well as controlling your carbs in your diet. You need to get in a class with a registered dietition to give you the information you need.

Ann

Comment

SO has diabetes type II, had it for several years now. He is stable, on oral meds. We went to registered dietition when he was first diagnosed to get info on what to eat, what not to eat, what to do when you eat out, which we do a lot. There is a lot of info on the internet, web sites that have recipes, and support groups, if you town doesn't have one. Lot's of magazine and books are available also. Exercise is important, watch the carbs, not just the sweets. It takes a while to change your cooking / eating habits.

Comment

What raises one person's sugar #'s, may not make another person's go up. You kind of have to find all this out. My big problem is using BBQ sauce, my mom has no problem with it. She only worries about sugar, but the thinking now like previous poster said is watch sugar and carbs. I always keep some oj or coke on hand, for when my #'s go too low. Keep a blood tester in your purse and another handy at home. Soon you will recognize the signs of low blood sugar and also high blood sugar. Take the diabetes classes if possible, you will learn all sorts of stuff.

Comment

dot... I so feel for you. We were in your shoes 1 1/2 yrs ago. DH was diagnosed with type 2, we knew NOTHING. He is on metforman twice daily. He too was very depressed when it all first happened. He had an appointment with a dietition. As for me I had to cook differently. I cut down on the carbs, but we still had things we liked. just not as big of servings. Has anyone told you how many carbs you are allowed at each meal and snacks? That relieves alot of confusion. If dh cheats he cheats with protein. I buy Aunt Millies light bread and buns. There pretty good. You can have 2 slices of bread for one starch exchange. So a sandwich would only count as 1 carb exchange. lots of veggies with parm cheese or malt vinagar. We use Promise marg., less fat. I don't make as many potatos or rice things. There is a low carb hot choc. mix at wal-mart with a couple of slices of toast, for a eve. snack. We are finally getting use to the weird taste of splenda and there's alot you can do with that. Tons of water.
          I feel like you have gotten good advice in the post. You really need to do that, it will clear up alot of questions and fears. You (over time) will learn how to tweek a recipe to bring down the carbs but not the flavor. There will no doubt be some things you just have to steer clear of, It takes time, so try to get your questions answered by a doc or dietition.

Comment

I was on diabetic meds for 25 years, followed the diet off and on. - mostly off......was not a good patient, just good at taking pills. Two years ago when I completely changed my way of eating, my blood sugar went down and within 3-4 months I was completely off of all my meds and my sugar has been stabilized for about 18 months now.

The main change I made was completely eliminating all white carbs from my life....no rice, no pasta, no potatoes, no white bread, no corn. Most white carbs are refined foods and are certainly not necessary for a balanced diet. Once you get your body detoxed from the carbs, the cravings go away and it's not nearly as hard as you might think. I would never have believed I could do it - I lived on carbs before that time and it nearly killed me. I have lost a lot of weight, my health is much better. I wish I had 'got a grip' much sooner, tho...my feet are damaged with diabetic neuropathy, completely numb, and they hurt....can't undo 25 years of abuse it seems.

The American Diabetes Assoc. has a great website and good literature they'll send you. But if you can, you need to attend classes at your hospital....your insurance should pay for. I think the 'exchange program' is a little hard to keep in your head....there's got to be a better way, but for now that's what they do.

One very simple way to keep track of what you are eating and how many calories and carbs you are getting is to record your food intake on a website such as www.fitday.com or www.thedailyplate.com. Even after 2 years, I still record every bite that goes in my mouth. It has taught me a lot about food values and it keeps me honest with myself about what I'm actually eating. I try to keep my carbs under 75-100 grams/day, and ALL those carbs are good carbs (greens, beans, etc). When you record your intake, it will tell you what that food is and how much it's worth. If you want lists, all you have to do is google "carbohydrate list" or google for a specific food.

Take care of yourself.....it makes a difference in how life turns out!!
            Last edited by GayleTX; 07-27-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I found out I had teh same thing 2-1/2 years ago. My doctor gave me nothing except the info that I had diabetes. One of the ladies I work with told me to take a course at the local hospital to learn about diabetes and how my life would change. Her husband is diabetic as well. What a relief to actually learn about the disease. I was terrified when I first found out and thought I'd go into a coma if I ate one wrong thing. Of course I'd been eating incorrectly for a long time and had never had this happen but it is the knowledge that you have this disease the sets your nerves on edge.

Needless to say, I've never been in any kind of diabetic distress. The course lets you know how the disease occurs, what you can do about it, how you should eat, etc. Get a glucometer so that you can check your blood sugars regularly.

Go see a dietician as well. Check with your doctor to find out what programs are available for diabetics in your area.

One of the first things we were told is that we no longer drink juice - eat the fruit, don't drink the juice. The fibre in the fruit makes your body metabolyze the sugars slower whereas the juice sugars goes straight to the blood. Also, eat less refined carbs.

Picture your dinner plate cut into quarters - 1/4 = starch; 1/4 = protein; 1/2 = other veggies.

Comment

thanks to all that responded, i really really appreciate the support, and suggestions, i live 45 min. from the nearest center for classes, but willbe worth the drive, just have to get signed up, and just do it, need to exercise, but am recuperting from the "broke both bones in left wrist" syndrome in november 07 and "fractured left ankle" syndrome end of january, and then the 8 weeks of 5-day a week treatments for DH prostate cancer; so it has been a difficult time, and the LAST thing i need to deal with is another health issue for me that requires thinking, if you know what i mean, so will keep you posted. and again, thanks

Comment

Yes, Dottalk you do have a lot on your plate. When DH and I went to the diabetes classes I thought they were going to be all about Exchanges like the old Weight Watcher system. But no they were more about carb counting and eating lots of fiber. I agree that juice is out with this system. You will learn a lot from the classes and it will be worth the drive and effort it takes.

Gayle, my DH lost weight too fast and has no fat on the bottom of his feet so also has the problem of neopathy. A prescription that he was give called Gabapentin 300 mg. has helped a lot. He was told to take 2 - 3 capsuls three times a day. We also have an elderly lady friend that also was give the same prescription a few weeks ago and it has helped her.

Ann

Comment

Ann........thanks for that info.....I'll certainly check that out. Up until now, they just want to give me a tranquilizer or something and I don't want to deal with that. I'll mention it to my doctor and I'll do some research on my own, too.
                    Last edited by GayleTX; 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I am not diabetic, but suffer from neuropathy of my feet. I've had it since 2000. Just woke up one morning and my feet were numb for no reason. The only explanation any doctors can give me is that it's probably due to a pinched nerve in my back or somewhere. It drives me crazy, especially at night or any time I lie down. I get stabbing pains, especially in my toes. All I have for it is Soma, a muscle relaxer, which doesn't help much. I'm wondering if this Gabapentin might help in my case. I will certainly ask my doc about it. I'd love to feel my feet again.
                      Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Working...
                      X