Kids in Costume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids in Costume

I have noticed a lot of little girls go out in "Princess" outfits, which are totally cute. Saw two in the grocery today. And my nephew who is three wears superman and batman costumes out to do errands and such. I know sometimes boys would go out in cowboy attire and girls would wear maybe ballerina attire in the past, but this all out costume, going around like halloween seems new to me.

I doubt it's going to form any serial killers or anything, but I wonder if it's great idea. I'm not really sure where I stand on this yet. Problem or not? Could be that we are just more lax about fitting in society so the parents don't think there is an issue. Or it could be just one more way parents "give in" to what kids want these days becasue they are afraid to parent.

What do you guys think?
    www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Re: Kids in Costume

I've seen that too here a lot lately. 25 years ago, I wouldn't think of letting my daughter go out like that, but now, I think it's cute. Keeps the kids happy and they do get a lot of attention. But now what's left for Halloween? Unless those are the parents who don't let their kids celebrate or Trick or Treat.. I have several friends who didn't believe in Halloween and didn't let their kids T or T...

Comment

When DD was in kindergarden she was always doing strange dressing. Pocohonis (the movie) was out & she had the dress & cowgirl boots wanted to wear it everyday to school but I let her do it everyother day. Then she had this tierra with long ribbons, she wore that to school. Also add in the boys tee shirts too. Strange little girl. Instead of fighting her, I just let it go, the parents looked at me & smiled. Then all the other little girls in her class started up too. That's how some trends start. Middle school was the Brittany Spears thing, knee highs, plaid skirt & pigtails. She is very conservative now, but it was funny. At least she was clean & covered up. I did put my foot down when she wanted to wear her pj's to school. No one called me to say anything, I think the teachers know at that age they are doing their little thing.

Comment

My kids keep their Halloween costumes and wear them until they wear them out around the house. I don't see a problem with them dressing up. We always talk about how we want our children to have these great imaginations and dressing up is just one way of using that imagination.

Costumes can now be bought year round at Toys R Us and Wal-Mart (toy Dept.).

I always smile when I see a little princess or ballerina in Wal-Mart or anywhere else, unless they are screaming of course!!!
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree with Cindy on this issue. I would much rather see a little one in a costume than see some of the things that the teenagers are wearing these days. I don't care for that ~Goth~ look at all. But, I guess every generation tends to have it's own ideas for cool. Lol!I am glad my young ones are grown ups.
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Originally posted by southernjewishprincess View Post
            I have noticed a lot of little girls go out in "Princess" outfits, which are totally cute. Saw two in the grocery today. And my nephew who is three wears superman and batman costumes out to do errands and such. I know sometimes boys would go out in cowboy attire and girls would wear maybe ballerina attire in the past, but this all out costume, going around like halloween seems new to me.

I doubt it's going to form any serial killers or anything, but I wonder if it's great idea. I'm not really sure where I stand on this yet. Problem or not? Could be that we are just more lax about fitting in society so the parents don't think there is an issue. Or it could be just one more way parents "give in" to what kids want these days becasue they are afraid to parent.

What do you guys think?

why should kids grow up into a molded society? why should little girls HAVE to dress like teenagers at 4 years old? I think that society and the fashion industry the movie industry are forcing our kids to grow up much faster than they need too.
            what's the big deal if a kid is wearing a cinderella dress in the grocery store?
            would it be better to raise them to think they have to be prim and proper heels and make up to go to the store? good gracious i hope not.

there was a time when my son loved his cowboy boots, would nto take them off. we'd go to wal mart, the mall or the grocery store and he'd be wearing his boots and shorts and elmo t shirt. he's looked crazy, but he was happy. he thought he looked good, and i think it's obvious when a kid is that young looking like that, that's his choice. and people would smile and say "hey man i love those boots" and he'd say YEP.

ugh no i was't afraid to parent, I was parenting. there is a difference there. i'd rather raise my kids to be themselves with guidance rather than force them to be someone they are not and make them fit the society mold.

my friends little girls have the three princess dresses, they wear them all the time, better han walking around looking like britney spears or lindsay lohan, or hannah montana.

so thankful i never let my kids idolize britney...
            Last edited by Stella; 07-28-2008, 10:39 AM.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

If *IF* I was a parent, and a kid was that young, I would just be happy that they dressed themselves. I would figure peer pressure would eventually make them dress like a normal person. I wouldn't see that has spoiling the child as much as I would be letting them make their own decisions. Yeah there would be limits to this, but I really wouldn't care. I had a family member who let their child dress the way she wanted to, and she turned out just fine, actually she was extremely independent and had a wonderful sense of herself. I would hope to raise a child like that *if* I had one.

Comment

I Would Have No Problem My Small Child Dressing In Costume, And Mine Did Love To Wear Their Holloween Costumes Until They Fell Apart, But..... This Weekend I Saw A Group Of Mid To Late Teens In The Mall All Dressed Up In Costume, I Don't Know If They Represented A Movie/tv Show/ Video Game, But It Was Very Odd. I Wouldn't Want My Child, Dressed As They Were, They Didn't Show Skin, One Was Real "goth" Another In A Bright Blue Uniform With A "saber" And Several Others That Didnt' Seem To Go Together. They May Be In A Play And Went To The Mall After A Showing/dress Rehersal, Don't Know. But I Wouldn't Want My Child Going To The Mall In "drag" Dressed As A Character. I Want Him/her To Be Themselves. DD went thru a "goth" period, but she dressed nothing like this girl at the mall, she had cape and long gloves, pale skin, dark make up. but..... to each their own.

Comment

Hey, if the clothes are clean and the kid is clean, who really cares. Yes, there should be limits but not inflexible ones. I also would rather see a little 'princess' than a little 'Britney'
                  Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Seriously, this is actually an offensive post to parents. No we are not "not parenting" as parents you honestly have to pick your battles. And is demanding a child wear what you want her to her a battle you truly want to pick. It does nothing but squelch their individuality and imagination. Let kids be kids as long as you can.

dragun

Comment

So what if the child wants to wear the costume to school ? That is ok ? Just wondering. As parents you have the last say, and children have to accept that. If I just run to the store and the kid is a small child and wants to wear an outfit that is one thing. If I go to church , then it's not OK. Children ,even young ones need to learn to dress appropiately for the occasion. There is a time and place for everything. And as a parent you are in charge.

Comment

uhmm yea, if my kid wanted to wear her snow white dress to school then sure go for it

but that's the parenting part. you let them wear it casual anywhere they want and you let them know there's a time and a place for this and that.

if she wants to wear her church dress to the grocery store with the paten leather shoes and tights??

if she wants to wear her jammies to the grocery store let her. who cares? they are kids.
                        let them be kids.
                        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

LOL, well that explains how come you see some adults wearing PJ pants at the stores parents didn't teach them better.

Comment

When Dd Was In High School, The School Had To Change The Dresscode Because Kids Were Wearing Pajama Bottoms To School!! Dd Tried To, But I Wouldn't Let Her. She's Adult Now, If She Wants To Wear Them Out, That's Her Decision, But As Long As The Child Is In My Care, I Tell Him/her What To Wear And When. Not That I Would Make Them Wear Something They Hated, But I Definately Stopped Alot Of Inappropriate Wear!

Comment

I so agree with you Nu. I don't think much of a school system that changes the dress code to fit a fad of PJ bottoms. Who are the adults here ? And PJ bottoms are not appropiate in public in my opinion, I don't care if it's a teen or an adult.

Comment

Working...
                              X