My DH's foolproof method for picking melons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DH's foolproof method for picking melons

Last weekend we went grocery shopping. The store had a large variety of melons at a reasonable price. I went through the boxes of melons sniffing, squeezing, and thumping. Knowing that I am terrible at selecting ripe melons, I asked DH to choose 3 different melons - honeydew, cantaloupe and tuscan. We finished shopping and drove home placing the melons in the fridge. When I cut into them, they were some of the best I had ever eaten. I decided to ask my DH how he is always able to select the best melon. His reply stunned me. "Well, honey", he replied, "I always buy the one on top!" lol
    Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: My DH's foolproof method for picking melons

LOL, I wish that was true. I have had some bad luck picking melons.

Comment

canaloupe is the easiest, push on the butt, where the steam was, it should be soft. or at least dent in.

then smell it.

then shake it, you'll hear the seeds moving around in there.

watermelon i have no idea
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I always have DH pick our watermelons because he does a great job at it and if it is ever bad I can blame him
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
          canaloupe is the easiest, push on the butt, where the steam was, it should be soft. or at least dent in.

then smell it.

then shake it, you'll hear the seeds moving around in there.

watermelon i have no idea
          I'M NOT SMELLING ANYTHING I HAVE TO PUSH ON IT'S BUTT TO GET THE STEAM OUT!!!!

LOL
          Last edited by nuisance; 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

LMAO!!! Too funny!
            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nuisance View Post
              I'M NOT SMELLING ANYTHING I HAVE TO PUSH ON IT'S BUTT TO GET THE STEAM OUT!!!!

LOL

LOL, I think Stella meant stem , Nu

Comment

steam... boiling water...

stem.... that's what makes the belly button on the melon

good gracious, i have got to learn how to spell..
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Your Typo's Is One Of The Reason's We Lub Ya Stella! ***mwah*** Lol

Comment

that one wasn't a typo lol i sounded that one out in my head.

what was that one I did that one day? i forget now i remember it was funny tho...

Comment

The other day at the grocery store, we came across Indiana Cantaloupes. A lady was loading up her cart & ACTUALLY looked like she knew what she was doing. My DH asked her if she had a secret to buying good melons & she told us that she picks out the ones with "deep", crater-like veins in the skin. I'd never heard that one, but we tried it, & I think she's right. We've had sweet, juicy cantaloupes ever since.

I was always told to look for "inny" stems because that means the melon was picked ripe. I could NEVER determine quality of a melon by smelling it or shaking it, though....I just went with the stem thing. THAT didn't always pan out but the "skin test" seems to work well for me , so far!
                      "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

i think alot or most of it has to do with where the thing was grown.
                        the crop, the time it was picked, shipment with temperature control.....

regardless of methods to perfect picking i think all the above is the main factor

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                          that one wasn't a typo lol i sounded that one out in my head.

what was that one I did that one day? i forget now i remember it was funny tho...

You were saying something about "count" but left out the "o"! It fit appropriately, but wasn't a word we like to say here!!! lol

Comment

An older man selling watermelons told me to put the melon on my chest, yellow spot in, and thump the melon. If it is a good one, you can feel a little vibration in your chest. Well, I didn't feel the vibration but he picked one for me and it was good.

My husband puts the melon on his shoulder and thumps it and says if it sounds like a flat tire, it's bad. He usually picks good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryJo View Post
                              An older man selling watermelons told me to put the melon on my chest, yellow spot in, and thump the melon. If it is a good one, you can feel a little vibration in your chest. Well, I didn't feel the vibration but he picked one for me and it was good.

My husband puts the melon on his shoulder and thumps it and says if it sounds like a flat tire, it's bad. He usually picks good ones.

Doncha just love the "Old School" way of doing things? I'm almost 61 years old & find the "80 something" way, the BEST!!!
                              "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

Working...
                              X