Another Pie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pie Question

ok..I am in pie mode today lol What kind of pies do you prick the bottom crust with? I want to make a lemon, cherry, pumpkin, apple, banana cream pie & maybe a blueberry pie. Do you prick the bottom crust for any of these listed..if so..which ones? I am not planning on making these all at the same time...will make one..then when it runs out..make another.
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM.

Re: Another Pie Question

Darn! I was disappointed to hear that you aren't baking them all today...I thought I might invite myself right on over. Will bring the "Blue Bell" Ice Cream!
    Just kidding with ya! Ok...the fruit pies usually require a second crust. Pumpkin is baked for a lengthy amount of time, but I don't think you prick the crust..kinda like a custard pie. I guess that a Lemon Pie is what you want to make today. You prick the crust & then bake it...is that what you are saying? If so we won't be needing the Blue Bell! Lol! Lemon it is! I LOVE Pie! See ya soon!
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Not much of a baker here, certainly not an expert on pies. But when I make a custard pie, I pre-bake the crust before I pour the filling in to bake, so I prick the crust before I pre-bake the pie. I also do that when I make a pecan and pumpkin pie. Doesn't usually the recipe tell you if you need to do that or not?
      I know there are bakers on this board who I am sure have much more info on this subject.

Comment

You only prick the crusts that you pre-bake and then fill, such as lemon meringue or cream pies, so they don't puff up on you
        A friend is one who walks in when others walk out
        ~Walter Winchell

Comment

Also when I pre-bake the crust, not only do I prick the crust, I also put folie in the crust, pour in some dry beans, and then bake. The beans keep the crust from puffing up also.

Comment

I usually prick them all. No problems with that.

Comment

Working...
            X