Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oddest spot remover, cleaning techniques...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddest spot remover, cleaning techniques...

Perhaps not the forum for this, but we talk about everything else!!! DH scorched a cotton shirt this am, and thanks to the internet, I offer this quick fix! Wet the scortch with hydrogen peroxide on a clean cloth, and iron with warm iron. May have to repeat till burn is gone. Just did this and am shocked it worked!!!! Any other odd ball tips??? TIA, Laura

Re: Oddest spot remover, cleaning techniques...

Originally posted by lampladies View Post
    odd ball tips
    LOL that not an odd ball tip but it an old one,
    the first time i saw it was when i was reading a book called Hints from Heloise my grandmother had borrowed it from her old neighbor, there are several book from her with all kind's of tip on how to clean, cook and every other house hold thing.

Edit to say My Bad
    I just found this

Heloise has decided that she wanted to write a column in a newspaper for to help housewives, She marched to the office of the Honolulu Advertiser to see the editor to discuss her idea. She even offered to work for free for 30 days and the editor took a chance—The Readers’ Exchange column began in 1959. It was such a success by 1961 that Time magazine did an article on Heloise.

• Later in 1961, King Features Syndicate convinced Heloise to syndicate her column with a new title, Hints from Heloise. By 1962 it was running in 158 newspapers and in 1964 it was appearing 593 newspapers in America and abroad.
    The original Heloise with President Richard Nixon

• Col. Cruse and Heloise moved to San Antonio in 1966. Heloise’s daughter Poncé, who was majoring in math at Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State University), was helping her mother out with the column.

• Heloise died December 28, 1977. Her tombstone read, "Heloise, Every Housewife’s Friend."

• Her daughter took over the column and continues to write the Hints from Heloise column.

HER BOOKS
    Heloise’s Housekeeping Hints, 1962
    Heloise’s Kitchen Hints, 1963
    Heloise All Around the House, 1965
    Hints For Working Women, 1966
    Heloise’s Work and Money Savers, 1967
    Last edited by Rescuedpanther; 08-02-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I have one for you.

For those white rings or water marks on wood furniture, pick up some swirl away from the automotive store. Spread it on the mark and leave it for a bit. Wipe off with a soft cloth, repeat until mark is gone. It works great!

I had a white ring on my cherry wood dresser. I did leave the stuff on over night and the mark was gone when I wiped it off. I have saved many items that I picked up really cheap at sales due to water marks.

Comment

My Mom found this one by accident. She was making tuna salad and some of the mayonaise fell in the sink on top of the ring for the drain. She left it there while she made the salad, and when she went to clean it up, the mayonaise cleaned the ring. It was nice and bright.
        www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

I have heard that mayonnaise is good for water marks.
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Here's a good one...

Burnt Popcorn Smell in the Microwave
            To get rid of this awful lingering stink, fill as large microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water and sprinkle your favorite spice like cinnamon or add several drops of vanilla or lemon extract. Bring to a boil. You must let it sit inside for 10 to 15 minutes to cool down. Simply wipe the walls down with paper towels. Leave the door open to further air it out.
            The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Working...
            X