No announcement yet.

Does the nurse announce your business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the nurse announce your business?

I got back from the Dr. today. I had a sore spot on my left breast. I am the complete oppossite of a prude, but I was really embarrassed and annoyed today. I went in for an exam and came out to make an appointment to get an ultrasound at the hospital. The receptionist/nurse woman called the hospital to schedule the appointment and proceeded to talk in a really loud voice about my left boob!

She then asked me"It is your left breast right? Which breast is hurting you?" etc. The waiting room was quiet and I could feel all eyes on me. It was mostly women in the room thankfully, but there was a few men. I was just so embarrassed? I am wondering if I should just change clinics because this isn't the first time it has happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Does the nurse announce your business?

Wow... That seems really intrusive on your Privacy!! Has this woman never heard of Hippa?? Perhaps she could have talked in a low voice directed right at your rather than making sure that everyone in the Waiting Room heard!! I think you have every right to be upset. My Dr.s offices have an area in the back where you make your appointments, etc.

Sorry this happened to you.. Maybe you could call and speak with the Office Manager and let her know what happened. I'm sure you are not the only one that this has happened to...

On a side note....CVS Pharmacy now has a sign up saying that due to the Hippa Laws, they will not help you if you are on your cell phone while at the counter. Good idea...If you are too rude and obnoxious to get off the phone while you are trying to do business, then you should be turned away. Using the Hippa law as the reason seems a bit excessive though.....
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Just a FYI, the person at the desk in a physician office is usually not a RN. A RN or LVN (LPN) is trained in HIPPA methodology. I am sure the office manager would truly appreciate your perspective on information disclosure to the public. Please share your e-mail with her or drop a note anonymously. This is really important behavior to correct!

Comment

That has happened to me too. I was horrified and embarrassed. I haven't been back. The whole waiting room heard my business. In addition, I could hear the dr. in the rooms next to me and I was uncomfortable because of it. In fact, after the apt., you have to sit back down in the waiting room and wait to be called. Then they announce your co-pay and the dr.'s instructions. Everyone can hear and even though it's not completely personal, I would just as soon have it done before I enter the waiting room. No thanks.
        A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

You know, this reminds me of a time that I visited a new dentist. I was in my chair waiting for the dentist to come in when I heard his assistant talking on the phone to a patient. Evidently, she put this patient on hold, and then proceeded to badmouth and say some really nasty things about this person. I never went back. I don't care what this patient had done, or said, I just felt that it was NONE of MY business!! This was before Hippa, but still really upsetting....
          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I would call and talk to the office manager. They need to know, because if it happened to you, it has probably happened to others.
            I work in a medical office, and we are trained to talk in low voices just for that reason. It\'s hard sometimes as we have older patients
            that you have to talk loud to as they can\'t hear as well. But I do think the office manager needs to know about it.

Comment

I agree let the office manager know and I so would NOT go back thats just uncalled for, sorry that happened to you she knew it was embarassing and I would have told her so and probly more! nobody going to see a doctor in sickness or pain deserves that treatment!!!!!

Comment

I agree that she was insensitive. I often cringe when I hear aged care workers doing the rounds asking patients/residents if their bowels have opened today... Often the victim is deaf so it takes several loud enquiries before the workers get the information they need. It's certainly cringeworthy.
                I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

Wherever I go peple have no sense of modesty. Whether it's buying undies, tampons, books, getting a body wax........I guess it's just a commentary on today's day and age. A POOR commentary.
                  I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

My Desk Is In The Hall Near The Door Where Everyone Calls Patients In. If I Have To Schedule Something For Certain Parts, Private Stuff, Or Have To Talk To The Patient About Private Stuff, I Make Sure I Talk Quietly, I Wouldn't Want Everyone Knowing About My Business. So Far No One Has Complained About The Way I Do It. I Get Loud Out Of Habit, Years Of Taking Care Of Elderly In The Hospital And Our Patients, I Just Talk Loud. I Have To Tone It Down. But If She Was Scheduling Something For Your Breasts, She Should Not Have Been So Loud.

Comment

No Morals ANYWHERE! How totally un-professional! Sorry you had to deal with that hun (((((Hugs)))))
                      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

So sorry that happened to you! I would calm down first...then call the office manager to explain what happened. I think she/he would want to know.

Comment

Definately let the office know. Not only unprofessional but as others have pointed out, a violation of the HIPPA law.
                          Good luck on your ultrasound. It will be painless.

Comment

what's most important is that you get whatever screenings are needed. Have you been keeping up with your annual mammograms? Family history?

Comment

I would send a letter addressed to the Dr himself, marked confidential or to the Office Manager, marked confidential. Tell what happened and that it embarrassed you and you felt it was inappropriate to say that info in front of a waiting room of patients.

Comment

Working...
                              X