Jalapeno Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jalapeno Question

I have jalapenos ready to harvest, but my tomatoes are not ready yet (for canned salsa). Can I seed, dice and freeze the jalapenos and use them later? Or should they be blanched before freezing? Or is there a better way of preserving them?

I know someone here (Maybe Bean ) will have the answer for me. Thanks!
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Re: Jalapeno Question

They will keep for a long time in the refrigerator. You can freeze them, but they will be soggy. Good luck.
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I Keep Whole Jalapenos In A Baggie In The Freezer To Use In Recipes/salsa. Not Good In Something That's Not Chopped/ground Well Like Salsa, Or Not Cooked, Because Like Texann Says, They Are Soggy. Tried To Do Poppers Once With Frozen,! Not!!!

Comment

They do keep a long time in the fridge (garden fresh). I just put them in a plastic bag with a dry paper towel and keep in the crisper (bag not tied closed). If you are planning on using them for salsa , you can slice or dice and put them in a jar topped with white vinegar (they keep in the fridge a long time). They also taste great right out of the jar that way.

Comment

I freeze my chopped peppers in ice cube trays then pop out and store in a freezer bag. This year I'm using small dixie cups instead. For green chiles, I roast them on the grill, pop in a bag to "sweat" off the skins, peel and seed, and put in baggies for the freezer. I put the baggies in a ziplock freezer bag and can pull out what I need for chili. Yum Yum Yum Yum.
          Last edited by MaryJo; 08-06-2008, 09:53 AM. Reason: Wanted to add, I have a terrific method of pickling jalapenos. Sometimes I throw in baby carrots and cauliflower, too.

Comment

Make you some of those Smoky Jalapeños in T&T
            Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks!! I think I'll try Bean's suggestion and dice and cover with vinegar, since my salsa recipe calls for 1/2 c. vinegar anyway.

I have never roasted jalapenos. Do they keep the same flavour?

Comment

For those who like roasted jalapenos, they are great in salsa.

Here is a recipe that has a nice "kick" to it.

Very easy and is great on everything! * I use about 20 - 25 jalapenos and 1 habanero & roast them at 350º for 20 to 25 minutes, de-stem them and throw them in my chopper. I add the juice of two limes & only a scant T. of Sea Salt.

This is totally addictive. Dead simple to make. If you grow your own chillis, it's a great way of preserving them, but they won't last long!

Sambal Oelek - Chilli Paste

1/2 lb medium-hot chillis of your choice. Red or green jalapenos are fine, large Thai chillis ditto. Habaneros/birds-eyes/bonnets are too hot.
                2 tbsp sea salt (to taste)
                2 tbsp lime juice or vinegar

Remove the stalks from the chillis, but not the seeds. Lightly roast the chillis for 15 mins in a warm oven. Blend in a blender or mortar and pestle, then add the liquid and salt and blend a bit more. Taste, add more salt if you want but 2 tbsp is quite a lot. Add more liquid if it gets too sticky - it should be like wet pickle consistency.

Store in a sterilized jar. It probably doesn't need refrigerating due to the high salt levels.

To use: Use anywhere you need chillis, such as in marinades, thai currys, tex-mex.
                Alternatively, just eat from the jar, but be careful - excess has it's Nemesis with a capital N!

My Pic -

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/sltrax/CP.jpg

Comment

i went a little crazy this year with jalepeno peppers..i'm going to have a lrg crop of peppers this year..i'm going to need recipes..idea's..

Comment

Bean, I think it's time I start stalking you again. These other people are to "mild" I like my victim's to be "spicy" lol

Comment

Thanks Bean! Copied and printed the recipe. Will put it with my preserving recipes just in case my jalapeno plants go into over-production.

Comment

Working...
                      X