Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my dog suffers from OCD..licking obsession.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dog suffers from OCD..licking obsession.

my dog sugar suffers from ocd..she is obsessed with licking my other two dogs faces..she'll clean thier faces and ears..the'll get upset and start growling and walk away..she will then follow them..i don't know if this is a nurturing thing..because she's a female..she's never had puppies..she was spayed early on..think i need to contact the dog whisper.

Re: my dog suffers from OCD..licking obsession.

My oldest dog has such an obsession with licking pillows that I had to buy her one of her very own years ago. About every 6 months or so, she will get tired of licking "her" pillow and start licking "ours" so I have to go out and get her another of her own and throw her old one away. Dont know why she does this! I've learned to go to the dollar store for fresh pillows for her when she tires of her old ones!

I had a male cat who was obsessed with licking the females face and ears. He would literally throw her down and pin her until he was satisfied with licking her. I asked the vet about it. The vet just said that he was a "clean freak" and that the female cat never got herself as clean as the male thought she should be. Animals can be neurotic too!
    Last edited by cottun; 08-09-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I have heard about the Vets subscribing anti-depressants for dogs these days... You never know..they have all the same problems we do.
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

i would try rubbing a little hot sauce or some garlic on the other dogs fur,maybe that would stop it.

Comment

Thats a good idea Tex..worked on my Human Babies...LOL!

Comment

Mine just does it to her paws and if you try to stop her you might lose a finger. She might only be six pounds but she can be mean.
            The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

My lab has to lick my arm up and down all over every morning. If I shoo him away before he is done when he gets a chance he will start over until he feels it is clean enough. My hands, arms, legs, and feet are well cleaned daily.

Debbie
              Never regret something because at one point it was exactly what you wanted!

Comment

Daisy does my arm too and she does DH's bald head...yuk!!
                The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

I know this is serious stuff here, but it's kind of comical too. Am I alone here? LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by TexAnn View Post
                    I know this is serious stuff here, but it's kind of comical too. Am I alone here? LOL!
                    Yep...it can be. I have pics of Daisy in my album. So you can imagine that tiny little thing licking your head!!!

Comment

My oldest male cat 'nurtured' the two younger ones when we got them. He would also hold them down and clean them just like a mama cat. (funniest--and yuckiest--thing in the world for a totally white cat the spit up grey/black hairballs)

It may be a 'pack' habit. Does the Dog Whisperer have a website that you can ask questions about dog behaviour?
                      Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

My dog is a big time licker. He will lick his pillow, my pillow (ewwww) and yes, I wash it. He will lick the tile floor, carpet. Once, I even caught him licking the oven door. He drives me insane. My vet thinks it is because he is getting older and maybe has some arthitis and that he is licking because is soothing, like a baby sucking a pacifer. Whatever it is, I wish he would stop. Oh, he NEVER licks himself or other animals.
                        A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

I have one cat that will lick the other cat and dogs heads but only a few licks then she will insist that they do it to her. She will first just put the top of her head at their mouths and if they don't clean her she will head but them to try and make them. She does this to all of the dogs and the other cat and can get very insistant about it.
                          ""Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.""

Comment

I had a female Rottie who would lick the kittens clean. The kittens did not seem to mind I think they thought the dog was their Mom. But boy did thos kittys get soaked.

Comment

I have an obsessive paw licker too. Vet thought it might possibly a fungal thing going on that was itching, but that wasn't it. It's just a darned bad habit. He's a black/white cocker-tzu; unfortunately all his feet are white - or should be; the saliva turns them brown.

Comment

Working...
                              X