When Bad Things Happen to Good People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Bad Things Happen to Good People

this is a depressing vent so SOB if you want.

As some of you know, I'm an ultrasound tech. Three weeks ago, I was doing an "informal" sonogram on a co-worker/friend. She had her DH & 2 little boys come in as we were going to try to see the sex of the baby. As I started scanning, I could tell something was terribly wrong & no heartbeat seen. I was rattled & of course so was she & DH. Ended up doing an official sonogram & calling her Dr. over to our hospital. Very sad & I was almost physically sick about it, never having that happen to a co-worker before.
    Then the following week, we had to have our dog put down that we had for 11 yrs.
    Then last week, my supervisors/friend husband was killed in a freak car accident. She & their 4 yrs old son were also in the vehicle unhurt. Her 2nd baby is due Aug. 31.
    These gals are good people who go to church every week & are in the medical field to help people. It shakes my faith as to why this stuff happens to them. I'm a Christian & believer but not a regular church goer. I know that the bible says: My ways are not your ways or something to that affect but all this has put me in a depression. If I get to heaven, I will have questions.
    Thanks for listening, I really don't have anyone else to talk to. If any of you want to share your troubles with me, feel free to pm me or post on this.

Re: When Bad Things Happen to Good People

(((((sameoldkris))))) I wish I had the words you so desperately want to hear, but I don't. I can say that you can help your friends by just being there for them and that alone I know will give you some peace. Let them know that you are there for them. Maybe make a few dinners for them. Being depressed means that you are human. You are grieving as well. Hang in there, the sun will shine again, and when it does just let it all in.
    Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Things like this are hard to understand, but there is a reason for everything. You've heard the phrase "If God brings you to it, he'll bring you through it". I guess we're not supposed to understand it, but I'd say Satan is behind things like this, & it does test your faith. I know there is a book called When Bad Things Happen To Good People, & I want to read it. I've seen reviews where people said it really helped them to get through times like those happening to your friends. Maybe a copy of this book would help them, too. Prayers for them & for you.

Comment

((((((sameoldkris)))))) Cindy's advice was excellent. I don't think I could have said it as well as she did..Just hang in there... Unfortunately, there are a lot of good people who have bad things happen to them for reasons we will never understand. Only God knows and has His reasons...I do believe that He never gives us more than we can handle, and everything that happens to us and our loved ones is meant for us to learn from. Keep the faith. You are a good person and that is why you are affected so deeply by these things..
        Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

There is a book out by Harold S. Kushner, he is a rabbi, " when bad things happen to good people" . It's been out for many years now. Rabbi Kushner had a son that had a terminal illness and died, and then he wrote the book. Very good book, reading it may help you.

Comment

oh...i'm sorry......so sad they all happened together...
            I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I've heard of that book before, thats why I used its title. I'm hoping my library has it, it would be interesting & hopefully helpful to read. Thanks for your good thoughts.

Comment

i am sorry all of this is has happened to you in your world. that's terrible.
                seems you are close to your co workers, hold on to them, they are going through the same thing. your co worker who lost the baby,and your supervisor need you and others in their life close by.
                hugs to you, don't lose your faith, i don't have answers, but hang on to your faith.
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

((((sameoldkris)))) I'm so sorry for your friends losses and for the loss of your beloved pet.
                  I've always believed that everything happens for a reason, but sometimes you have to wonder what it is.
                  I think your friends are very lucky to have you there to help them through this hard time. You seem like a strong, sensible, caring person and that's what they need to help them hold on. Everyone could use a friend like that.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear all that has happened to your friends, and yourself as well. Just please keep your faith. Sometimes things happen for reasons we don't know, but God knows why because he sees the bigger picture. God bless you and your family and friends.
                    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

The priest read this at my 26 yr old nephew's funeral in 2006.....

The Folded Page
                      "Up in a quaint old attic,as the raindrops patter down,I sat paging through an old schoolbook-dusty, tattered and brown.
                      "I came to a page that was folded down.And across it was written in childish hand:"The teacher says to leave this for now,'tis hard to understand.'
                      "I unfolded the page and read.Then I nodded my head and said,"The teacher was right; now I understand.'
                      "There are lots of pages in the book of life that are hard to understand.All we can do is fold them down and write:"The teacher says to leave this for now,'tis hard to understand.'
                      "Then someday--maybe only in heaven--we will unfold the pages again,read them and say,"The teacher was right; now I understand."
                      When it comes to the death of the person whom we are laying to rest today,about all we can do is fold down the page and write,"The teacher says to leave this for now, 'tis hard to understand."

Comment

What a wonderful serman, bud. Thank you for that.

Kris, I was going to say everything happens for a reason. We don't know those reasons in many cases. When you arrive at heaven's door all those questions you have will be answered. Everything will make perfect sense in the end. You just have to have faith in The Lord for now, and trust that He knows what He's doing. Having faith is a big part of Christianity. ((((((Kris))))))
                        Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

I read When Bad Things Happen to Good People after my mom died when I was pregnant w/ DD3... It did help me. I'd highly recommend it, whether you believe in a higher power or not.
                          "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Luvs, that ironic. My dad died when I was pregnant with my 3rd son. I definately will look for that book since you all have recommended it.
                            My friends that are suffering so have a greater faith than I do & I'm glad for that. Not sure I would be as strong in their positions. But I've said many prayers for them and have been told that helps.
                            Tastebud, my niece died in a car accident at 16 yrs old. One thing that gave me comfort as her funeral was the song "On Eagles Wings". The reading at your nephews was a good one too.

Comment

Praying that God will give you strength during this hard time. (((((Hugs))))).
                              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
                              X