Going to Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Germany

Every 2 years my Else (85 now) visits her family in Germany. Every year she says it is her last time. We spend 3 weeks in a spa so that she can get her treatments for arthritis and I just enjoy all the pampering.

This year her cousin is having a 50th wedding anniversary which is why we are going in August rather than in the spring which we had done previously.

Her family would love her to stay longer and she used to but it is too difficult for her to fly alone and being shipped from pillar to post to visit/stay with everyone is too much for her. So I (her bodyguard) go with her. She'll have her treatments in the AM and then visit with relatives in the afternoons and on weekends. Sometimes her cousin will take her for the weekend to Munich (they live just outside of Munich) and I take bus trips to see other parts of Germany/Austria.

We've adopted each other as she had not children and my parental units have been gone a long time - mutually beneficial relationship.

We'll be staying in Bad Tolz again this year. It is a beautiful little town filled with Spas and Kur Klinics and is about 1 hour from Munich.

We leave one week from today - Aug. 21.

Woohoo

Re: Going to Germany

Munich is really nice I was there a few years ago. You should be there during Oktober fest, which is in September, not October Drink some beer for me!

Stephanie

Comment

Well Steph I know I'll be drinking some for myself but I'll make a special effort to have one for you as well.

Comment

What a wonderful trip! And what a wonderful person you are to be her bodyguard... mutual bennies in your relationship!!

My sister, who lives in France, used to go to spas every year (paid for by her medical insurance!) for her skin... mandatory naps and wonderful water treatments for eczema. She looked so forward to it every year!

Enjoy Rube!!!
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Have a wonderful time !! Aw-Vee-Der-Zane !!

Comment

Originally posted by janabanana View Post
            Have a wonderful time !! Aw-Vee-Der-Zane !!
            Ditto sweet Ru! Hope you have a lovely time on your trip!
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Lucky You! Have a great time!
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

How wonderful! On my only trip to Germany, we stayed with family about an hour out of Munich too ... itty bitty town called Huglfing. It was beautiful. The family members talk frequently about the "cures" and the spas. Various family members have spent time in those facilities for so many things and swear by the benefits. Doesn't it sound nice, especially when the insurance provides for everything! Enjoy your pampering.

PS -- you wouldn't happen to have room for me in your extra suitcase, would you ?

Comment

WOW

what a rough life, and you are such a nice person to do it!! I am glad to know you will be enjoying yourself and seeing all the sites (and sights)!

Enjoy it all and relax!

Comment

Doesn't She Need A Private Nurse To Go Along Also? I Have A Passport Already! Lol

Enjoy Your Trip. Keep Safe!!!

Comment

Wow! Have a fun trip.

I just made a batch of 'Broetchen' rolls that are baking in the oven. My first attempt... I had a craving for them. Not sure how they'll turn out. We'll see.

I'm going to Germany for two weeks in December. Can't wait. Love the food. Love the people. Love the desserts. Love the culture.

Comment

Have a great time Ruby. Please be careful and stay safe
                        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Nu, I asked first! My passport is ready, too . Not a nurse, but can pretend to be one .

Comment

Have a wonderful vacation, Rube. I know you will!
                            Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

I am Else's ears and cane - otherwise she doesn't need a nurse but thanks so much for the offers. I really wouldn't want to put you out of your way.

I started to be called her bodyguard the second time I went with her to Germany. We'd gone to the travel agency to pick up our tickets and found out the rate of exchange being offered there. When we went to the bank for her to get her money changed they were offering a lower rate of exchange so I told Else we'd go back to the travel agency because we'd get a bigger bang for our bucks. The manager got all huffy and said "Who is she? Your bodyguard?"

I've been her bodyguard ever since - don't mess with my Else.

Comment

Working...
                              X