What kind of squash is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of squash is this?

And... How do I cook it? My parents gave a huge sack of these to DS and DIL. DIL kept a couple and gave the rest to me.

They look like patty pan squash, the shape anyway, but the pattypan I've seen were a pale green. These as you can see are bright yellow and dark green.

How would you cook them. DIL said she was going to cut the top off, scoop the seeds out, put butter in it and bake it.
    Attached Files

Re: What kind of squash is this?

Looks like a cross of patty pan and pumpkin!!

This is a good one....

Stuffed Patty Pan squash

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
    6 pattypan squash, stem and blossom removed
    6 slices bacon
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until a fork can pierce the stem with little resistance.

Drain, and slice off the top stem of the squash. Use a melon baller to carefully scoop out the centers of the squash. Reserve all of the bits of squash.

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.

Remove bacon to paper towels, and set aside. Saute onion in bacon drippings. Chop the reserved squash pieces, and saute them with the onion for one minute.

Remove the skillet from heat, and stir in the breadcrumbs. Crumble the bacon, and stir into the stuffing along with the Parmesan cheese.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stuff each squash to overflowing with the mixture, and place them in a baking dish. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.

Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until squash are heated through.

Comment

Kinda looks like acorn.... They look tasty!
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Those look like the type that I use for my fall decorations!!!!
        Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cindy, thats what I was thinking! I buy these in the fall to decorate with. I think sometimes they add a coating of varnish or something to preserve them and make them more eye-appealing.

Nu, when I bought patty-pans for the first time last year and asked for recipe suggestions, someone had offered that they could be sliced and used like the noodles in lasagna. I tried that and it was awesome - squash lasagna!

Comment

How big are the Nu? I've had something similar and they were tiny--about an inch or inch and a half in diameter. I just cooked them with a little water and tossed with butter. They were delicious.
            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

They're from about 3" to 6" in diameter, 2-4" in height. I looked up patty pan, and it said they can be bright yellow/orange and green, so must be what they are. Definately not acorn. I'll do something with a couple tonight.
              THanks ya'll

Comment

Those are called Yellow Patty Pan Squash......EXCELLENT when sliced, dipped in flour and fried in a pan w/olive oil. One of my favorites!!

Comment

Oh, I thought this thread was gonna be about the sasquatch that was found dead in Georgia..

Comment

Wrong kind of Squatch! lol News said it was a hoax. Too bad. No, not really, If they did prove him/her real. People would end up burning the forests to find "the rest of them" Leave 'em alone!! (thanks I feel better! lol)

Comment

Cottun, what type of bribe will it take to get your squash lasagne recipe????? Much appreciated, Laura

Comment

i'd scallop it, bake it, stuff it, sautee it, freeze it lol

what did you end up doing with it?
                        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I made the stuffed squash Jewels posted. It was very good. Thanks Jewels!!!
                          Probably fry some next. Wonder how well it'll freeze???

Comment

Nu I like them steamed with a little salt and butter after they are fork tender. All my kids have always loved patty pan squash. You can always send them to me....hehehe.

Huffle
                            God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

If I get anymore about the time we go to the Zestfest, I'll bring you some!!

Comment

Working...
                              X