Sometimes God lets us see the big picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes God lets us see the big picture

Sorry if this post is long, but I had to tell everyone. As you know, my daughter has Down's Syndrome. When in high school, in the middle of her senior year, the teacher suddenly decided to mainstream her into a regular "Life Skills" class. I was VERY hesitant about sending her into a regular class. Only my trust in her teacher allowed me to stay silent and let my child attend class with the regular students. The day before my daughter started attending class, one of the regular students in this class approached the teacher and told her that he was dropping out of school in two weeks. He had decided that he could not longer attend. He stated he would only attend two more weeks and the teacher reluctantly said she would sign the papers necessary for him to drop out. The following day my child started the class. My daughter has always had a sunny disposition and ready smile, and she is not shy about participating in discussions. She enjoyed this class and made friends. The Life Skills teacher told how one day, my daughter walked into class early and found a foreign exchange student sobbing at her desk. She was home-sick and lonely. My daughter walked over to her, placed her arm around her shoulders and comforted her, telling her it would be alright, and everyone loved her. As the rest of the rowdy students entered the room laughing and acting up, my daughter stood up and told them to try to be quiet, her friend was upset and needed some quiet time. All of the students filed into the room without a word. Some even approached the student offering Kleenex and hugs of encouragement.
    The two week period the soon-to-be drop-out had specified came and went. After 6 weeks, the teacher approached the young man. No papers had arrived, was he still going to leave school? The fellow stated that he had decided to stay in school. When the teacher asked what had changed his mind, he stated that it was because of my daughter. He said he did not want leave my daughter without someone to watch over her and protect her. He was not leaving. The teacher was surprised and pleased. He also stated that he was thinking of becoming a special ed teacher. To make a long story short, my daughter graduated, and the young man graduated. We always wondered what had happened to this young fellow. Had he become a teacher? Fast forward a few years. A couple weeks ago, I was watching TV while eating dinner. Just then I saw this same young man being interviewed by a reporter. I was so surprised I almost dropped my plate. This young man had been employed by a utility company as a security guard. (A job he would not have been hired for without a diploma). On this morning while making his rounds as a guard, he spotted smoke billowing from a house not far from where he was working. He called in the fire while running to the house. When he got to the home, he broke in the front door and rescued 10 people living in the house. When my daughter saw him on TV, she said, "Tell him I'm proud of him." And we are. I am thankful that sometimes we are allowed to see the bigger picture. My trust of my daughter's teacher, my child's starting class when this young man felt he had lost hope, his graduating and being on the job at the right time. Coincidence? I really don't think so......
    Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: Sometimes God lets us see the big picture

WOW! Awesome story. I am typing this through tear stained eyes. All I can think of is out of the mouth of babes
    Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

WOW! How truly touching. God does work in mysterious ways doesn't He?

Comment

What a beautiful story for you to hold close to your heart! And yes, I believe too that everything happens for a reason and that sometimes we just cant see the big picture because we get caught up in the minute details. When things happen that make no sense to me at all, I try to remember that its not all about me - that sometimes things have to happen in a certain way so that the next important piece can fall into place.

I do hope you have the chance to tell this young man that your daughter is proud of him.

Comment

there is no such thing as coincidence, and no such thing as luck.
          it's all God.

what is your daughter doing "today" since graduation?
          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

My daughter has a part-time job. Everytime she takes her small paycheck to the bank she always tells the teller the same thing......."I work HARD for this money" lol

Comment

What a beautiful story.. Your daughter is so very special and has probably touched more lives than you are even aware of. I think God makes Down Syndrome children so special, and so unique, and puts them here on this earth so that others can learn so much from them. I also think God chose you as the perfect parent for this gifted child.
              Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

she did work hard for that money !!
                I am so happy she is working. I bet she is a blessing to everyone who meets her.
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I really cannot take credit for being the perfect parent. My husband and I were ordinary people placed into an extraordinary situation. We simply tried out hardest to be the best parents we could be. But you are right in assuming that she has touched more lives than simply our own. Both my brother and sister, two nephews and a niece subsequently went on to obtain jobs in special ed. My son also served two years as a tutor in a special ed class.

Comment

Thank you very much for sharing that story. You'll never know the number of people you have touched.

Comment

That is such a great story, thank you for sharing it.

I think God makes some people the way they are for a reason. Every Down's Syndrome person I have ever had the privilage to meet, have been very special, not because of their "condition" but because of their understanding, caring, ability to make people feel good about themselves.
                      You are very lucky to have her in your life. God Bless!
                      Jackie

Comment

Stories like yours make me so glad that I have been in the special ed field for 20 years!

I stumbled into my first job at a sheltered workshop....was direct line from 88-96 then went on as the vocational supervisor from 96-2006. Was fed up with the red tape and quit.

Started my para ed job with special ed kids 2007 and still going.

These kids and adults are extremeley honest and most are so caring and are so proud of thier achievements.

I just detest it when people tell me it takes a "special person" to work with this population. It takes a special person to do any job.......no matter what field it is in.

JMHO!!

Comment

Awesome story.

Comment

Many times we learn our lessons from God through the pure of heart and uncorrupted souls such as your daughter. She may have been born with Downs Syndrome, but I truly believe she is one of God's angels and messengers in disguise. She might not have been born to be like the normal average person, but she definitely is more "at One" with God than the normal average person.

What a true treasure you have with her
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

so, so insightful.
                              "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Working...
                              X