buying wine and cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying wine and cheese

I am hosting a party tonight and I want to supply wine and cheese. Do I buy wines and cheeses that I like in case there are leftovers or do I buy a variety? I am not a red wine drinker so I really don't want to buy red, but what if someone only likes red wine? I am not as worried about the cheese as I can bring what is left to the guys here at work if it is not something we will eat at home.

Thanks for your help?
    SHEL

Re: buying wine and cheese

Buying a variety of wines can get very expensive. I would just buy a nice white wine. My person favorite is chardonnay - Kendall Jackson, but there are alot of great tasting whites available these days. In regards to cheese...the sky is the limit. A nice smoked gouda usually goes over well .... a soft brie ..... a merlot/cheddar is delicious. A good bleu cheese, but one must have a liking for that. Have fun

Comment

If it is financially affordable to you , I would suggest a bottle of white and a bottle of red. I am finding more people interested in wine more than ever. Maybe it's my age? Friends we know that used to have a couple beers are now choosing wine.

Anyway when we have recently hosted parties, I have found people like one or the other and will take whatever you have as long as it is red or white.

For a basic red I would recommend a shiraz. It's middle of the road in the reds. Not too sweet, not too dry. I don't drink white so I cant suggest anything for that.

Comment

How many are coming? I think one variety of white would be adequate. But if you get red, too, there are so many recipes you can use the leftovers with (Cabernet) if you have an open bottle. I've been a fan of Trader Joe's Charles Shaw ($2.99), but recently "found" Oak Leaf at WalMart for the same price. It's pretty good for everyday drinking. If you're planning on spending more per bottle, save the unopened bottle(s) to take as a gift when you're invited to someone's house. Maybe one of your guests will surprise you and bring a bottle of wine tonight!

Comment

there will be 12 of us. and we are going to the menu manager--this is where you put together either 6 or 12 dinners to take home and put in the freezer.

here is what i was thinking for wines: a white zin, a late harvet reislig (my all time fav) and a red.
          SHEL

Comment

Ah, Yes and my invitation left out the time Sweetie.......lol! Sounds like a lovely time!
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I would suggest you add one more white, a Chardonnay, only because the 2 you chose are on the sweet side. Expecially the Late Harvest - that is more of a dessert wine. White Zin tends to be on the semi-sweet side. I personally shy away from sweet wine, they can really upset your stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne View Post
                I would suggest you add one more white, a Chardonnay, only because the 2 you chose are on the sweet side. Expecially the Late Harvest - that is more of a dessert wine. White Zin tends to be on the semi-sweet side. I personally shy away from sweet wine, they can really upset your stomach.
                MAYBE I'LL DO A CHARDONNAY INSTEAD OF THE LATE HARVEST ( I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT WHAT I WOULD DRINK WHEN THERE WAS LEFTOVERS) . THANKS FOR THE HELP.
                SHEL

Comment

Honey, there won't be any leftovers if Janabanana and I come...lol!
                  Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Originally posted by TexAnn View Post
                    Honey, there won't be any leftovers if Janabanana and I come...lol!
                    ok can you be to midland, mi by 7:00 tonight? come on over.
                    SHEL

Comment

i say serve them cold beer and chile cheese dogs,and maybe some nachos, lol

Comment

Leftover wine, white or red , can be refrigerated for several days and is perfectly fine. Just take it out of the fridge before serving.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEL View Post
                          MAYBE I'LL DO A CHARDONNAY INSTEAD OF THE LATE HARVEST ( I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT WHAT I WOULD DRINK WHEN THERE WAS LEFTOVERS) . THANKS FOR THE HELP.
                          If I would have read this earlier I would have also suggested a chardonnay to replace one of the sweet ones possibly the Reisling, since Zin is kind of middle of the road when it comes to sweet. If you do get a Reisling, Chateau St. Michelle from the Buena Vista Winery makes a great one. (And creamy Havarti goes magnificent with that! )
                          My personal favorite Chardonnay is Robert Mondavi Woodbridge Chardonnay and it is also middle of the road price wise. Kendall Jackson is good also. Hope it all goes well.

As for the leftover Chardonnay: Makes very good white sauces for chicken and sometimes fish.

Comment

Working...
                          X