What's a typical day like with a dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a typical day like with a dog?

Okay, I asked for advice in another post, but I'd also like to know what a typical day with a dog is like? Eating, sleeping patterns, going to the bathroom, going to the vet, behavioral problems, exercise, etc.... Any comments welcome!

Re: What's a typical day like with a dog?

Well, I haven't had a dog in about 6 years now, but I think they are wonderful. We always had dogs when my children were growing up. You do have to plan your life around them though, so if that isn't possible for you to do, don't have a dog. It's cruel to have a dog if you cannot devote the time to them that they deserve.
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Depends on the breed. I've had Goldens for 27 yrs and never had a problem. DD brought home a Pug and I just now called her and told her to get him out of my house! Hes 6 mos old, barks at nothing, still is not potty trained and is very defiant. Shes house sitting and taking care of someones elses dogs while her brat is ruining my house! Hes leaving tonight!

Comment

With a toddler in the house, you need to make sure you do not get an aggresive dog. I would read up on the dog breeds, read about how they get along with kids, etc. Your child also has to learn to leave the dog alone when it is eating, when it is in a kennel, if you use one, not to hit or pull a dogs tail, etc. I don't know if I would recommend a shelter dog or not, you don't know if it has been abused or has issues. I have a large exercise pen outside that I let my dogs in during the day, unless it is raining or very cold. At night they come inside, they are potty trained to do their business outside, but do have occasional accidents, if I am lax in taking them out. Usually when the dogs wake up, they need to potty, after they are fed, potty them and before bed, potty them. I feed mine twice a day and they have access to water at all times. After the dog has all the baby shots, they need to see a vet approx 1 time a year, unless there are problems. A bored dog can create problems with tearing up carpet, wall trim etc. Never give a dog an old shoe to play with and expect it won't bother all your shoes. Hope this helps.

Comment

You would hate it!
          Unless you want to be loved unconditionally no matter what and whenever you want! They are happy to see you and worried about you and will be your best friend when the whole world around you is falling apart. Not only do they love you, they protect you, warn you of strangers & of visitors...with a different bark of course...lol. They are entertainers, they are smart, they do tricks, they play with you, they might sleep with you...they know when you are sick...Really wonderful little blessings. Always there for all your needs...I miss my dog! Rest in Peace Nard Nard....you will always be my heart!
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Annie, You have to be talking about my dog Lucy!!! She is everything you posted, plus some.. Sorry about your Nard Nard... What's the meaning of his name?

Comment

What TexAnn said, except add to that, it is like having a child that never gets beyond the 3-5year old level. They need need need companionship. They need to be pottied at very regular intervals. If you have a problem with routines, do not get a dog. They need stimulation. A bored dog is a distructive and/or aggressive dog. They need strong and constant discipline. A dog will always test the limits and will always take advantage of any laxness. ( and by the way, I have known of 2 dogs that have their own 'shoes'--old stinky runners--and have never bothered any other family shoes)

Really, if you want a companion that is not labour intensive, get a goldfish. If you want a companion that will give something back, get a cat. If you want a pseudo child, get a dog. Just remember that, like children, dogs can be with you for an average of 15+ years. Do not enter into this lightly.

We have a dog. She is a sweet natured creature and I love her. She is the absolute last dog we will ever have because I am absolutely done with having children. I no longer want to get up in the morning because the dog needs to go out. I no longer want to drag myself from my warm home in the middle of winter because the dog needs a walk/play. I hate the smell of a wet dog (altho I love watching her romp in the pond). I begrudge the cost of a kennel when we go on holiday (especially when the neighbour and I exchange cat-sitting). Molly will be missed when her time comes but she will absolutely be our one and only dog.
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

My last couple of dogs thought like this:

"Throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball!"

Or:

*scratch, scratch* "Lemme out."

*scratch, scratch* "Lemme in."

*scratch, scratch* "Lemme out."

*scratch, scratch* "Lemme in."

ad nauseum

Or:

"Food? Got some for me? Please? Huh? Pleeeease, some food for me?"

Or:

"Lick your face, lick your face, lick your face."

They're wonderful!
                Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

oops sorry, you wanted a typical day. First off, no day is typical. Dogs, like I said in my last post, are like children. Each day has its 'moments'

I had the opportunity to spend a week with my DD's Australian Shepherd 5 month old pup. The day began with a mad dash outside to dribble/piddle. Then came breakfast. My DD raw-feeds because Aussies do not do well on any corn based kibble. Maya (the pup) would inhale a whole chicken leg (raw, bone and all) in 3 minutes. Then came play. That would last as long as I was willing to tollerate it. In between, the pup would try to investigate anything I had left lying around. (I have had kids and a dog, the house was pup proofed). Then I would let Maya outside. She would play attack anything that moved including our Molly, who was more than tollerant. Play, play,play, a trip up the driveway to the neighbour's pond, swim, swim, swim, drag the pup out by her collar because she is overtired, slow trip home, into the crate for a nap (thank goodness because I am exhausted and it isn't even noon)

SO--repeat, repeat, repeat, that is a day with a 5 month old pup. Don't expect it to get any better until the dog is 15 months old.
                  Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Jana, His name was Bernard...we called him Nard Nard, Maynard, and a lot of other cute little names.
                    He was a white 1/2 chihuahua and 1/2 pekingnese dog and was the cutest li'l guy!
                    Before Bernard, I oftened wondered how people could be so attached to any animal. We weren't allowed to have pets as children unless they were outdoor pets...and never a cat for chrissakes.
                    When I got Bernard , he fit in the palm of my hand and he was literally being eaten alive with fleas. His right eye was nothing but pink skin where the fleas had eaten the fur away. It was so swollen, I feared he may have permanent baldness in the eye are...if not eye damage too ...Well, I cleaned the li'l feller up real good and doctored his boo boos 3x a day and the fur started to grow back...
                    He had his own baby blankies, and a patsy, and a little bottle that I would give him water in...Hey---He WAS MY BABY! I even made him GingerBread Boy-shaped doggy biscuits! I never in my life thought I would ever be that way..lol! But what can I say?
                    His first toy was an orange and lime green Tennis Ball...from that moment I knew he was partial to the lime green color because he always favored toys that color. When visiting the Boyfriends family in Tennessee, he went picked through their dog toys and all of the ones that color---LIME GREEN---go figure...lol!...lol...smart dog, huh?
                    He was so smart allright. He could say I Love You in his own special little voice and would tell my Boyfried...You Leave Her Alone when we would kiss...Gosh how could you not fall in love with that?
                    He had very small teeth and a really comical underbite. He was so beautiful to me. I hated it when people would say...he's so UGLY he's cute! I would then say your not talking about my dog are you? He's Precious! Don't you be bad- mouthin my dog man!
                    He died from undigested bones that pierced his intestines. He couldn't be saved. He had gotten the bones from people in the neighborhood. I will never let the next dog roam the neighborhood or eat any type of bone.
                    I miss him so much and think of him EVERYDAY! No one will EVER replace you Nardling! You were my HEART! Rest in Peace Dear Friend! I will always love you Sweet Boy!
                    Last edited by TexAnn; 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Yep, it's just like another child in the house only you take them outside to potty..lol!

Comment

Sometimes it can be the hardest job you will ever love.........

Comment

I hate seeing Pugs get a bad name. I think they are wonderful! Mine is my little shadow, a great companion and yes, she is just like having a child in the home. Only better because we are empty-nesters and wouldn't want another child. Just remember Tastebud is going through a bad experience and unwanted responsibility babysitting someone else's non-trained dog, and all dogs need training, discipline and lots of attention. Her experience could be happening with any breed and to anybody who doesn't invest in their pet.

Comment

i get up at 5am let the dogs out to take care of their business..feed them and go back to bed..hour later my dh gets up and let the dogs out to fetch the paper..by the way i have 3 dogs..lazy morning..by late afternoon..bagels likes to sit at the top of the stairs and look out the window and bark at the birds at my feeders..they like to wonder out in the backyard and play..wally loves to play fetch..in the evenings i'll take them out for a walk..not alot happening with my dogs..thier all senior citizens..so their not that active..

Comment

my sister babysits her grand babies and thier dog..she said the dog is more trouble than the babies..constanly getting in trouble..seeking attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X