Drying rack - rusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying rack - rusted

I have a 25 yr old drying rack that I use for clothes that don't go into the dryer. Parts of it have rusted and paint has flaked off and it needs to be replced as it's ruining clothes and is a mess to use.

I don't see the same kind anymore; I see a collapsable kind. I just wonder if it's gonna support the weight of wet clothes....anyone ?
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Re: Drying rack - rusted

If you really like it, can you fix it? Brush rust off, hit with rust inhibitor, then paint? We have a small cheap one, but it doesn't hold much. Some places have natural wood ones. Haven't seen any lately though. Good luck. I don't put many things in the dryer. Most stuff I put on hangers and hang in the closet or in the bathroom -or outside.

Comment

i don't think it pays to fix it; it's starting to ruin clothes and for around $10 can be replaced, just not by an exact replica.

Comment

If you did want to fix it, and assuming the wire isn't too thick, you can buy that hollow clothesline vinyl, carefully slice one side and slide it right over. The clothesline is cheap.
        Last edited by MaryJo; 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have 2 wooden collapsible drying racks that are about 10 years old or more...They are in constant use here, and I have had no problems with them
          A friend is one who walks in when others walk out
          ~Walter Winchell

Comment

I have seen some Amish clothes racks sold that are probably 6 feet tall and look very sturdy. They are close to $100 but would last forever. I just have a couple of cheap plastic/wood ones that I can get 1 load on between the two of them. I hang DH t-shirts and regular shirts on hangers, then after they are dry, I put them in the dryer for about 5 minutes on air only to get rid of any lint.

Comment

I remember my Mom having a large wooden clothes drying rack when I was a little girl. She used it in the basement of our house in Spokane, WA when the weather was bad. This was before clothes dryers. When the weather was nice, she always hung clothes outdoors on the clothesline. Dang, I'm old. lol

I'd think you could clean up your rack and repaint it.
              Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Maybe you can install a retractable clothesline and hang your clothes (on hangers) to dry from that. My laundry room is unfinished and I hang stuff from the water pipes.

Comment

i live in a little city apt with my family. i got a small one at the discount store today. i think i should have gotten at least 4....

Comment

I just today got a catalog from where I got mine last year - couldn't remember the name to save my soul. Anyway, it's Brylanehome.com

These drying racks have gone up $10 since I got mine. I ordered 2 of them and love them. I had used the same wooden ones forever and every once in a blue moon one or the other would collapse. These steel-framed racks, while VERY expensive IMHO, are wonderful. I've even put my heaviest bath sheet towels on them without a problem.

This is the item # from current catalog: 1545-74444-888 - $39.90 each, and S&H wasn't cheap. As I said, I paid $10 less than this, but I found the two ordered were worth every cent.

Comment

Working...
                    X