Treadmill Stress Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treadmill Stress Test

I have to have one tomorrow. Has anybody done one, and I'm wondering what to expect..

Re: Treadmill Stress Test

I was supposed to have had one a few years ago. The Cardiologist I went to (who I HATED, by the way) told me to "not smoke for two weeks" before the test!!! I was like, "Oh, yeah. Sure. No problem there!!, Quitting is SO EASY.." So, they wound up doing a heart sonogram instead. Everything was as it should be.
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

My Dr knows I smoke and never said anything about that.. Hmmmmm. I just read the pamphlet and nothing is said there either. That would really "stress" me out if I couldn't smoke all day tomorrow.!!

Comment

I've had two. Drink water before you go because they draw blood. Then you hop on a table so they can take pics of your heart...takes about 30 minutes. They you go to the tread mill to walk on an incline which is lifted in increments. I'm out of shape and I finished the test. I'm probably a lot older than you too. The test showed I had blockage and had to to have a cardio-cath done. Turned out to be shadows from my breast and bone....I don't even have big boobies to brag about either.

Good luck and we'll be thinking good thoughts for you.
        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Jana, let us know how it turns out!!

Comment

My DH has had 2 of them. They put leads on him to read his heart function and as soon as his heart got up to enough beats he had a few seconds to lay down on the table on his left side so they could take the pics of his heart. The first time he took it it barely made 4 minutes, the Dr barely looked at the pics and said yep it's a blockage and then gave DH some nitro. The second time he had one was this past Feb he was having a hard time getting a good breath so the Dr wanted to do another one this time he made it over 10 minutes and his heart looked great.

Oh yeah the treadmill they slowly increased both the speed and the incline to make you work harder. DH said if your outta shape then it is hard because of all of the walking.
            ""Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.""

Comment

DH had one 5 years ago. It saved his life. He had gone to emerg with upper shoulder/back pain. Emerg Dr. INSISTED that he stay overnight and have a stress test. The test showed at least 1 blockage. Angiogram showed 3, one of which was more than 80%. He stayed in hospital while these tests were done because he literally was a 'walking heart attack'. He spent 5 days in a cardiac ward on monitors, 4 days in Critical Care on a Nitro drip because they could not control his angina, was air lifted to a major hospital (we're in the boonies and I was totally awed by our local hospital care), had triple bypass, and was home 4 days later.

It is just a test of how your heart and circulatory system reacts to some moderate exercise. They will not ask you to run a 5 minute mile. They will not ask you to do more than you can. It is not a test of how much exercise you can do, but rather a test of how your heart, lungs and circulatory system handle a bit of 'stress'. Just think of it as a trip to JC Penney when they have their huge sale on.
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Thanks everybody! I'm getting kinda nervous about this now after reading what you wrote.. I'll be sure to let you know what my results are.

Comment

Jana! Do NOT be nervous! You stay active, you are not overweight, you eat much better than most people, - you are going to be just fine! If for some weird reason there is a problem, then you will STILL be just fine due to early detection! So, see? There is no downside to this at all!! Trust me, - everything will be good..
                  Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes, wear a sports bra or a good support bra, and expect to be really out of breath when your done! lol I survived, I'm old, fat and out of shape! lol

Comment

I had one about 3 years ago. Like the others said, it's a simple thing. Ditto on the shoes. One lady showed up in high heels!! Walking an incline on a treadmill for 10 minutes isn't fun in high heels.
                      Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

Working...
                      X