Teens and tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teens and tattoos

I'm curious: Do you think it's ok for teenagers, I'm talking like 15 or 16, to have tattoos? I've seen a few kids around town who are still in high school and who have tattoos. My son wanted a tattoo and I told him he should get piercings instead. At least the piercings will grow closed if he gets tired of them. Now that he's older, I ask if he ever thinks about getting a tattoo. He says NO WAY!
    Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Re: Teens and tattoos

i didn't get my tattoo until I was 41 ( this past may)
    my first, my only, my last.

my daughers friend who turned 18 last march got one this summer.
    it's on her forearm on the saide the thin soft side of the arm.
    a stick fiqwure ballerina. becca wants to be a professional dancer. this i personally feel ruined it for her.

dd has another friend who she graduated with at 19 got a huge 4 leaft clover on top of her foot. 4 days later she's wondering why she did that. the friend's boyfriend has 10 already. on his calf's. back of his upper arm back shoulder he's 19.

I explained to my kids that i waited until I knew where my life took me. I waited until I was 41 to get my tattoo. and it's on top of my foot.
    i can easily cover it.
    i will never be a foot model. i know that now.
    i waited until I knew my body was going to bloom out, and thank god i didn't get my boob tattooed when i was 19. it'd look like crap now.

no i don't think anyone should get a tattoo until they are 30 and they know where their adult life will take them.
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

AMEN TO THAT, Stella!
      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I let my DDs pierce anything they wanted (except tongues and nipples... I drew the line there... health issues) but said they'd have to wait till they were out of my house to get a tattoo... not just 18. If they were living in my house... no tatts.
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

everyone in the school district has to cover their tattoo's.

my friend claire is annoyed by having to cover up her melting peace sign, on her calf, and her clover on her forearm everyday.

at 19 you really do not know anything. lol as much as you think you do. you don't know.
          your life will change 10 times before it lands where you want it. my husbands place of employment will not hire you if you have tatt's that are exposed. it does effect the way you are looked at for a job. and sometimes the way you are looked at in society. as well as piercings...
          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I one of those odd people who like tattoos. I want to get one soon, I just haven't gotten up the courage yet or found just what I want yet.

I guess as far as teens getting them it depends on what it is. DS2's team mate got one after he did. It's a cross with angle wings for his mother who passed away a few years ago.

We got DS2 his for his 18th birthday. He had been wanting one so long but we said it had to have meaning to it since he would have it the rest of his life. He just retired as a competative gymnasts after 15 years of it (he now coaches along with attending college). Here's the tattoo he got:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Ichie/655361-R1-01-23A_002Rotated-1.jpg

This is when he got it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Ichie/?action=view&current=23a19c22.pbw

Comment

I absolutely adore my and my hubbys tattoos. That said I think it is so wrong for kids to have them. My hubby started at 18 yrs old and he loves all nine of his. But that said he can cover them all, and most people don't even know that I have 2. Mine are private and personal for my pleasure.

I think there should be a waiting period between deciding to get a tattoo and the actual tattooing.

dragun

Comment

Told DD 19yrs go ahead, you buy it, you make sure it doesn't get infected. Can't stop them when they turn 18. She wants to design her own, not out of the book. She has no money so guess it will be awhile til she can afford it. A few doesn't bother me, but sometimes people can get carried away. Then it looks like a comic book. Her g/f's don't have any. Poor bunch of kids, rather use their money for something else, I guess.

Comment

I told my kids no tatoos until out of my house or turn 18. Told sons no piercings until out of my house or turn 18. DD h as ears pierced but that is all. DS will be 21 in October and has 2 tatoos both christian based. I like them so far. He also has piercings (both his ears and now his lip). I told him I don't like the look of them (his ears he gauged out) but i can't stop him either. I told him I don't want him to do a lot of tats but I can't stop him. He said he would keep it in moderation out of respect for me.

Debbie
                  Never regret something because at one point it was exactly what you wanted!

Comment

Originally posted by luvs2eat View Post
                    I let my DDs pierce anything they wanted (except tongues and nipples... I drew the line there... health issues) but said they'd have to wait till they were out of my house to get a tattoo... not just 18. If they were living in my house... no tatts.
                    Ditto, but she ended up getting a butterfly tattoo on her shoulder. The week she moved out she pierced her tongue!! To me that just looks trashy!!! I give her hell about it all the time! I don't know how many times she's swallowed the damned thing!!!

In our schools, no tattoo's can be visible.

Comment

i am so glad i do not have teens anymore, dd got one, i know illegally before she was 18 and she lived at home till then, so much for that, as for ds, well, he does not even like needles, pictures of needles, etc, so i doubt he would ever subject himself to a tatoo; personally, to me, they are trashy, but even trashier, are the piercings (except ears for girls) and i draw a limit to the number there too; i dont care if it is all the rage, the fashion or whatever, they all look trashy.

Comment

my dd's friend got a tattoo when she turned 18..i asked my dd if she wanted a tattoo when she turns 18 which is in a few wks..she said know way..you know what that tattoo willl look like when your old and wrinkly..gross..

Comment

Working...
                        X