Can Eggs Go Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Eggs Go Bad?

Second time this month, I've tried to make scrambled eggs. When they hit the skillet, they smelled bad---like dead fish. The experation date is stil a month out, and the eggs have been in the refridgerater for a week. Am I nuts? Laura

Re: Can Eggs Go Bad?

Eggs can go bad....Are you sure it is the eggs, not the skillet?
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Good point, Nommie. I was reheating onions and spuds from dinner last night, and was smelling all of that, but like I said, as soon as the eggs hit the skillet----yuck!

Comment

Unusual for them to go bad before their expiration date!! Especially if kept in the 'fridge!
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I can tell you from working in a grocery store that the expiration date doesn't mean a thing. I quit when I discovered the underhand crap they did. Say there is a carton of eggs and some are cracked. They take the good ones and put em another carton. They have stacks of undated cartons. Once the carton get full they would date it and put it on shelf. Those egggs could be weeks old. Another thing.. One night in my staightening I noticed mold on the prepackaged bricks of cheese and lot of expired ones. I pulled em all and put em a box with a note to my boss. I came in the next day and box of old cheese was empty. Figured they threw it out. So I asked boss if I come across more expired cheese do I toss it or save it for her. She pulled me aside and told me it is repackaged, redated and mold cut off. So the dozens of bricks of cheese were back on shelf. I worked that night then called and quit next day. Guy next door was a store manager worked for same company but different location. I told him about it and he said now you know why I quit. He was given the option my general manager to do this stuff or be fired.

Comment

Also you dont want the eggs to get hot....keep them cold...do not used if they are cracked..you definitely don't want Salmonella...You will definitely know when they are bad...nothing smells as bad as a rotten egg...well its up there with some awful smelling stuff for sure...
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Originally posted by mommyx2 View Post
              I can tell you from working in a grocery store that the expiration date doesn't mean a thing. I quit when I discovered the underhand crap they did. Say there is a carton of eggs and some are cracked. They take the good ones and put em another carton. They have stacks of undated cartons. Once the carton get full they would date it and put it on shelf. Those egggs could be weeks old. Another thing.. One night in my staightening I noticed mold on the prepackaged bricks of cheese and lot of expired ones. I pulled em all and put em a box with a note to my boss. I came in the next day and box of old cheese was empty. Figured they threw it out. So I asked boss if I come across more expired cheese do I toss it or save it for her. She pulled me aside and told me it is repackaged, redated and mold cut off. So the dozens of bricks of cheese were back on shelf. I worked that night then called and quit next day. Guy next door was a store manager worked for same company but different location. I told him about it and he said now you know why I quit. He was given the option my general manager to do this stuff or be fired.
              Yikes!! And I'm sure this must happen in many stores!! I remember reading about a store that soaked old, smelly chicken in water w/ a tiny amt. of bleach added!
              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by mommyx2 View Post
                I don't get it....How did they repackage the cheese? Once opened how did they seal it back? Take for instance Tillamock Cheese, they are vaccumed packed. And the date on the egg cartons, doesn't that happen at the hatchery?

Comment

They just wrapped it in the saran wrap from meat dept. and labeled it with deli stickers.
                  This is a well know grocery store. Used to be one every few miles it seemed but they are no longer in this city. Still have their clothing stores but not their food stores

Comment

I've been having a problem with Walmart milk going bad, sometimes before I even open it. Monday I had a gallon that had not been opened with the date Sept 4th. I opened it and it as curdled. I was talking to my brother today, he shops at a different Walmart, and he said he had been having the same problem. It's really annoying especially with the price of it now. And I live a half hour from any grocery store, so between the time and money for gas (and the fact that I can't leave my mom alone, so I only can get to the store once a week) I end up pitching it. Needless to say I will not be buying Walmart milk again.
                    The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

I guess I would boil some baking soda in the pan, and then taste the water. If it is the pan, you will know it. You said you smell it when you add the eggs, but it could be the water content of the eggs. I keep eggs FOREVER, and the only problem I have is they get dryer. So if I make cookies, I might add a Tablespoon of water.

I know people who don't kept their eggs in the fridge, and they seem confident in the safety. I know previous generations did not refrigerate eggs. They sit under a chickens butt in the heat for a day.

Grocery horror stories....... My pet peave is customers. Customers who decide in the canned goods aisle that they don't want their ice cream and leave it there. How about the couple the other day who was opening salad dressings to smell them, and decide if they want to try that kind!

Comment

Bad (in shell) raw eggs will float; good raw eggs will sink.

Comment

Working...
                        X