Cats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats...

We got a new cat this summer and was told she was spayed and that she's about two years old. I've taken her to the vet twice and this last time he asked me how I knew she was spayed. All I could say was, "That's what I was told (she was a stray...so no medical history on her)." They shaved her belly and couldn't find a scar, so now I've most likely got to get her spayed, assuming the vet is right. I'm not going to argue! I just wish he was wrong!!! I've only had pets before that were fixed so I'm just curious what the signs are if she's in heat, because she's been acting funny lately. She's been rolling around on the ground and seems to be more affectionate. She's a bit more vocal lately, but not to the point where it's disruptive in the middle of the night or any other time. She's a playful cat and very active so I'm not even sure that this is part of her normal personality since we haven't had her very long. Also, her eating and bathroom habits seem the same. Any comments on the subject????

Re: Cats...

If she is rolling on the floor and "calling" to a tomkitty, she is coming in heat.
    My female gets "in the stance" whenever we rub her back. My kitty also likes to mark her area with a little pile too.

Comment

That's what I'm worried about Allie, is "accidents." Is this common? I'm just wondering how fast I should get her the surgery!!!

Comment

The lady cats (in my lifetime) were never very affectionate until they came into heat...then it was like...OKAY...
        The Boys were always sweet & loving........
        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

My two recent (ok 10 ish years ago) were spayed at the age of about 5-6 months. You could not find the scar after about the first year. The one that is left (other one died due to seizures a few years ago) no way you can find a hint of a scar. So it all depends on how well they did it, how long ago and the cats healing abilities.
          Will the doctor not charge you if he goes in and she HAS been spayed? Maybe a good question to ask.

Huffle
          God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

I agree with Huffle on the vet question. I think in an earlier post, you said you had 2 cats. Is the other one a male by any chance? If it is and even if he has been neutered, he would be showing definite signs of interest if your female was in heat.
            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

An unspayed cat will also "spray" on furniture and walls. If you see your cat with her rear pointing and her tail upright, she's probably doing that. The last cat I had would curl herself around our feet and was "dead weight" while doing so and seemed overly fond of the males in the house during that time.

Comment

Every cat I have had was VERY vocal at that time. And they would raise their tails and stop right in front of you.

Where did you get her from? If you got it from a rescue group call them they should have records.
                Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I got her from the Humane Society. I found out after the fact, that they don't have veterinarians on staff there. I guess that's my fault. I assumed they did...but they do have vet techs. She was a stray, so had no med records of a spay. She's presumably about 2 years old. That's just an estimate on their part. If a cat has all its adult teeth, they say they're at least two. I really don't think she's much older anyhow because she acts so young!! But she's a snowshoe mix, which means she has a little bit of Siamese in her. Anyways, my other cat is an older female.

Comment

my dh says that his females when in heat would meow like crazy and want alot of attention. Plus, they did have some bloody discharge. His purebred siamese was relentless in the meowing and need for affection.

dragun

Comment

here is a cat
                      Attached Files

Comment

For those of you that have unaltered female cats, how long does a heat cycle last? And how often do they happen? My cat is still acting funny and it's been over two weeks. However, still no problems with urinating or defecating in the wrong places, thankfully.

Comment

i adopted a rabbit from the shelter a yr ago..they told me she was spayed well 3 wks later she gave birth to 5 baby rabbits..

Comment

my cat is a little over a year old and she comes in heat about every 2 weeks. It just lasts a few days at a time, but no sooner than you get used to her acting right, here it comes again.

Comment

Working...
                            X